C4 Forums | Control4

OS 3 and App Connection Issues

I took the plunge yesterday and upgraded to OS 3.  I initially couldn't get the Android app to connect to the controller until I did a reboot.  Unfortunately, the connections are still intermittent and the app seems to lose its connection quite a bit.  As of right now, I have to use a remote to control anything with a first attempt.  Has anybody else had these issues?

23 minutes ago, blub said:

No my android App works just fine

Thank you for your reply.  Is there any way to troubleshoot the issue?  I've been able to replicate it on two Android phones now.  The same Wi-Fi network was used prior to the upgrade and everything worked fine.  I'm curious if something didn't complete successfully during the upgrade.

To elaborate on the issue I'm having, the app doesn't connect to the controller at all in most cases.  I haven't found any patterns that make it work other than retrying to connect multiple times.  I'm able to access the device with Composer Pro just fine with a laptop using the same Wi-Fi network that the Android devices are using.

Is there any way to troubleshoot this?  Is rolling back an option at this point?

4 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Try doing a controller "check-in" under account status.

Done.  I'm not a dealer but have access to Composer Pro.  The check-in is for Support's use, right?  Should I just open a ticket?  I don't see anything jumping out at me to troubleshoot this particular issue.

It's so frustrating!  I have 2 Galaxy S8+ Android phones and a Galaxy S10E.  All have the same issue.  "Unable to Connect"  "Please join a Wi-Fi network connected to your system, or contact your dealer to enable Anywhere Access through 4Sight."

I was sent to level 2 tech support and submitted logs from all devices.  I am also using an iPad, which is way more stable.  I've only seen that message a couple times using it.  I switched Director from my HC800 to an EA1 as a test and got the same results.  I also unregistered, then re-registered controllers.

I am really hoping it's just a bug and will be resolved quickly.  I am an installer and certified Control4 programmer.  I'm a bit reluctant to upgrade clients to OS 3.0 because of these issues I've been having with my own system at home.  I do love the new interface though and can't wait until it's nice and stable.

Dumb question but you’re using the OS3 app right?

I’d start over. Delete all C4 apps off your phone(s), tablets, etc, go into customer.control4 account, remove all devices attached to system (if you’ve never done this, and had C4 a while there are probably a lot) then download the app (for OS3) and login to system. 

8 minutes ago, knowitall said:

I’d start over. Delete all C4 apps off your phone(s), tablets, etc, go into customer.control4 account, remove all devices attached to system (if you’ve never done this, and had C4 a while there are probably a lot) then download the app (for OS3) and login to system. 

Yes, using the new app.  I was thinking about trying that.  I have 16 devices registered on my account. I'll let you know if that works.

11 minutes ago, knowitall said:

I deleted all devices and uninstalled the app.  After reinstalling, getting the same message.

I heard something about modifying a communication daemon either in the phone settings or within Director.  I should have asked for more details about this.  Control4 tech support mentioned it to me earlier today.  He said he read about it in the Facebook C4 forum.  I don't use FB.  I guess I could setup an account and do some research.

On 5/30/2019 at 2:55 PM, burowyako said:

Done.  I'm not a dealer but have access to Composer Pro.  The check-in is for Support's use, right?  Should I just open a ticket?  I don't see anything jumping out at me to troubleshoot this particular issue.

Really !

As an update, I reached out to Support yesterday regarding this issue.  They had me do a few things, including disabling one particular service on the HC-800, a couple of power cycles, unregistering and registering the controller, removing the devices from the Control4 account, etc. 

The change that made some progress was having the controller use Google's DNS servers rather than those being issued by the router.  After the reboot, both of the Android devices were able to connect to the controller very quickly and all was working well.  Of course, right after I finished with Support, I tried using the app again and received the error message all over again.

When speaking with the technician, they asked if I was using a mesh network, which in this case, I am.  It's a Ubiquiti network with a couple of access points and everything works well, including Control4 when it was on 2.10.  The technician pointed me to a KB article and stated that mesh networks aren't supported in any way.  I understand that they can't support everything, but considering that 2.10 worked fine and the upgrade to OS 3 is the only thing that changed, I'm scratching my head a bit.

32 minutes ago, burowyako said:

considering that 2.10 worked fine and the upgrade to OS 3 is the only thing that changed, I'm scratching my head a bit.

You were lucky it worked before. I've seen tons of mesh network issues before OS 3.

What's left me scratching my head is that support shows you a known issue that causes lots of issues with lots of systems, and you're questioning it.

I am currently sitting out of the country with a very slow internet connection (and, admittedly, a big project) and the OS3 app just does not get all the devices / experience buttons loaded in all the rooms... even after 15 minutes...

Interestingly, if I use the old App (OS2 - as I have not upgraded the system at my Beach house yet) and log in to my Beach house (which has as big a system as my main home), it does not struggle.  

10 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

You were lucky it worked before. I've seen tons of mesh network issues before OS 3.

What's left me scratching my head is that support shows you a known issue that causes lots of issues with lots of systems, and you're questioning it.

I'm not questioning it.  I get it that not everything can be supported.  It's just strange that everything worked fine with 2.10 and then no luck after upgrading to OS 3.

Out of curiosity, how is the mesh network issue being addressed?  Is all Control4 hardware required, or is there hardware made by other manufacturers that dealers have had good luck with for Control4-compatibility?  With so many different solutions that are fairly-affordable now and available at local stores, I'm curious if customers have been hesitant to replace their network equipment for Control4-only stuff.

16 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

There's absolutely no requirement for Pakedge equipment. 

There's a handful of known issues with third-party equipment.

Mesh networking is a horrible idea, no matter the manufacturer, for intense automation/AV networks.

Interesting.  If a customer has a large home, they want Control4, and they want every room in their house to glow with solid Wi-Fi signal, how is that being addressed?

1 minute ago, thegreatheed said:

With WAPs connected via a backbone. This is standard design. 

Forgive me.  Maybe I'm not clear on what a mesh network is versus a network with multiple access points.

For something like my Ubiquiti setup, I have two access points that are hardwired with a controller that manages both.  Is this not a mesh network?  If not, is mesh something like Orbi where the data gets relayed from a standalone device back to another that is connected to the network?

Sorry for so many questions.

Correct. WAPs hardwired to the controller are not mesh networks. A mesh, yes, is something like Orbi. Lots of companies have them, including Google. These devices have to send AND receive over wireless, which vastly complicates the wireless data network.

Control4 uses a lot of SIP and multicasts for things like Intercom (and a lot more), and that traffic is usually handled very poorly by mesh repeaters.

1 minute ago, thegreatheed said:

Correct. WAPs hardwired to the controller are not mesh networks. A mesh, yes, is something like Orbi. Lots of companies have them, including Google. These devices have to send AND receive over wireless, which vastly complicates the wireless data network.

Control4 uses a lot of SIP and multicasts for things like Intercom (and a lot more), and that traffic is usually handled very poorly by mesh repeaters.

Thanks for helping me out, @thegreatheed.  Again, sorry for all of the questions.

It sounds like I'm not using a mesh network at all as my access points are hardwired with a controller that manages them.  I'm not sure if my setup still isn't supported by Control4 since it is Ubiquiti, but hopefully this improves the ability to troubleshoot the issue with the Android app not connecting to my controller.

I'd love to hear from anyone that is experiencing the same issue.  So far, it sounds like Apple devices aren't experiencing this issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.