C4 Forums | Control4

OS3 app on kindle fire

2 hours ago, prabeau said:

I don't know if this is relevant.But I just got a new Kindle fire and installed version 2.10  with no issues. 

4 hours ago, josei said:

hi everybody , is there anything new on this topic ? any update . 

thanks again 

If you load the Google Play store on your FireHD you can get around this by downloading it from there and not the Amazon app store. I'm running OS3 on one now and ran OS2 on it before the update...both work(ed) great. 

14 hours ago, rea said:

If you load the Google Play store on your FireHD you can get around this by downloading it from there and not the Amazon app store. I'm running OS3 on one now and ran OS2 on it before the update...both work(ed) great. 

1 hour ago, prabeau said:

Ok tried to get the new version and as "rea" said needed to install Google Play. That was a bit of a donkey show ( a Mac guy guess) but once installed, piece of cake

thanks for both comments ill try this tonight does any one have a link how to do that haha sorry im not that good on doing that things or I can get just one from youtube . 

once again thanks for the help ill let you know 

12 hours ago, prabeau said:

I just did a search on how to install Google play on Kindle. Download 4 files and installed in order of download. Had to sign in with Google credentials and ....done

https://www.saintlad.com/install-google-play-store-on-kindle-fire/

This is the site I used, there are others

thanks for the link and i try downloading it and it work but still isn't available just the os2 app im uploading a photo 

Screenshot_20190925-235251.png

have an HC 800 and an older C4 touch screen that is not supported, so I replaced it with a Kindle Fire, pretty slick.

Used the POE injector from original screen with a splitter. Have ordered a 90 degree connector to tidy up the connection.

kindle.JPG

Well that would depend on your bank account, sure I would love a new C4 screen, sure I would love a new controller, 

It does all I need ..... 

It's no wonder DIY types take a s..t on this site....

Perhaps a clarification of "you will see" would be a tad more constructive. 

The battery life on the device will be bad. You'll say it's okay because it's on POE. But the device is not meant to be powered 24x7. The battery will swell. The screen will start to die. And the device will become unresponsive you'll say it's okay because you only pay $50 for the device but it's just crappy hardware. It will start to lag. And it won't do intercom. You'll say it's okay. But it's nowhere near as responsive as a control for touch screen.

The intercom is completely useless to me to start off with.

I never said that this piece of equipment compares to Control4. $60 compared to $1400 like no kidding !

Beats leaving the much superior outdated C4 screen dead hanging there.

It is as responsive as the app on my iPhoneX . Its just as fast as my old C4 screen.

As far as longevity, will see, at the rate that end of life equipment is happening at C4 these days. I am probably 1 or 2 updates away from all my C4 stuff becoming part of the past anyway and that's fine. 

I guess I got a little excited at my amateurish accomplishment and should remember the level of expertise required to be relevant on this forum.

My bad

On 10/5/2019 at 2:45 PM, prabeau said:

The intercom is completely useless to me to start off with.

I never said that this piece of equipment compares to Control4. $60 compared to $1400 like no kidding !

Beats leaving the much superior outdated C4 screen dead hanging there.

It is as responsive as the app on my iPhoneX . Its just as fast as my old C4 screen.

As far as longevity, will see, at the rate that end of life equipment is happening at C4 these days. I am probably 1 or 2 updates away from all my C4 stuff becoming part of the past anyway and that's fine. 

I guess I got a little excited at my amateurish accomplishment and should remember the level of expertise required to be relevant on this forum.

My bad

FWIW I think it looks good and if you are ok w replacing the screen every year or two go for it. I do agree C4 equipment is pricey especially the TS which are really just fancy tablets with full C4 functionality. 

1 hour ago, Neo1738 said:

FWIW I think it looks good and if you are ok w replacing the screen every year or two go for it. I do agree C4 equipment is pricey especially the TS which are really just fancy tablets with full C4 functionality. 

Thanks 

Thats exactly how I see it plus I spend the winter in warmer climate, no need for a screen when absent.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 11:30 AM, JoelC said:

Amazon got back to us. They did something on their end and the Control4 OS3 app is now live on their app store.

I'm running the app (3.1.0.352) on a Kindle Fire HD 8" tablet. The only issue I've noticed is that the Kindle tablet shows up in the My Account / Users & Devices / Devices section of the customer web site, but not in the My Automation / Notifications / Devices section, and I don't get any notifications on the tablet.

I'm getting notifications on my Android phone and they show up in the Notification History of the web site. Do I need to do something extra to get notifications to appear on a Kindle tablet?

44 minutes ago, JoelC said:

@rosenqui Unfortunately, push notifications are not supported on the Amazon fire tablets. Amazon uses a different push notification service than Google. Currently, we don't have plans to implement Amazon's push notification service in the Android app.

Good to know - thanks. At least I know it's not something I misconfigured.

On 10/5/2019 at 7:19 PM, prabeau said:

have an HC 800 and an older C4 touch screen that is not supported, so I replaced it with a Kindle Fire, pretty slick.

Used the POE injector from original screen with a splitter. Have ordered a 90 degree connector to tidy up the connection.

kindle.JPG

Id be interested to know why my unsupported screen still works. It isnt added to the project as it is no longer available in os3.1. Yes i dont have intercom on it now but never used that functionality anyways. The reality is it functions as it was in 2.10 bar the intercom yet not added to the project hardware list. Not sure if you tried devices after the upgrade? My hardware TW7C0 to ea1

2 hours ago, Suresoft said:

The reality is it functions as it was in 2.10 bar the intercom yet not added to the project hardware list. Not sure if you tried devices after the upgrade? My hardware TW7C0 to ea1

Due to a back-door connection that is still available. It also will have issues with any new options, or even major updated drivers since 2.10.6 that simply won't work, and the list of those will simply add up.

Plus, who knows when that back-door will be sealed up.

7 hours ago, Suresoft said:

Id be interested to know why my unsupported screen still works. It isnt added to the project as it is no longer available in os3.1. Yes i dont have intercom on it now but never used that functionality anyways. The reality is it functions as it was in 2.10 bar the intercom yet not added to the project hardware list. Not sure if you tried devices after the upgrade? My hardware TW7C0 to ea1

No I haven't tried and probably won't . I am very satisfied with my current setup as it works just as well as my original screen did. Having looked deeper into the android world I actually make more use of this setup than before. Some very neat features. Yes yes I know MS nothing neat about a kindle.

22 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Due to a back-door connection that is still available. It also will have issues with any new options, or even major updated drivers since 2.10.6 that simply won't work, and the list of those will simply add up.

Plus, who knows when that back-door will be sealed up.

At least it gives me time to save up for a new touch to replace it. Presumed as much with the connection still being available "temporarily". Who knows C4 may have tried to keep compatibility with older devices but due to serious os changes had no way to breath life into the now retired devices. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.