C4 Forums | Control4

Infinity Edge Lives!

Old touch screens can usually still connect and function somewhat. This was the case with virtually any other touch screen that Control4 has end-of-lifed over the years. Mini touches 'worked' far into OS 2, even though things slowly stopped working as OS updates happened.

It will likely work. Until it won't. Based on how Control4 worked in the past, they haven't been interested in killing them in the past.

1 hour ago, BuffaloC4 said:

My 5 inch was remove in order to move to 3.0. Day later it started to work again. Pretty happy about it. Never even re-identified it. 

So, I remove them and update, then add them back?

15 minutes ago, Amr said:

So, I remove them and update, then add them back?

You remove them from the project. Then update, but you can still manually connect to director. It will load the old UI and things will "work-ish" with NO guarantees of level of service but at the moment most things still operate. The programming of the 4 buttons at the bottom will not work, bookmark page flips programmatically will also not work since they are not in the project. HC250s once in 3.0 cannot be added so they are paperweights in that system

Anybody tried with the original Door Station?  I wouldn't mind losing my touch screens if I went down this route, but don't want to lose by doorbell.  Don't care if the intercom quits.

Edit: whoops a couple others already asked.  Well, bump then...

As mentioned up-thread, this is not a supported configuration, and anything that doesn't work, just doesn't work.

Until I upgraded to 3.0, I still had a few mini-touch screens installed, that basically only still worked for volume / mute control, and maybe lights.

It's an option, although it's definitely a degraded experience.

RyanE

• 1 month later...

I got upgraded to 3.0, I did not even have to manually connect to Director on the Infinity Edge units, they re-connected automatically.  There is no driver currently loaded for them in Composer, but all the wired ones show up in System Manager.  Strangely, even though the one wireless unit I had does not show up, it is also connected.

So I get to use some apps like Eragy, Yale, and Remote Finder a little while longer...

Upgraded to a DS2 so didn't fight that battle with the original DS...

3 minutes ago, turls said:

I got upgraded to 3.0, I did not even have to manually connect to Director on the Infinity Edge units, they re-connected automatically.  There is no driver currently loaded for them in Composer, but all the wired ones show up in System Manager.  Strangely, even though the one wireless unit I had does not show up, it is also connected.

So I get to use some apps like Eragy, Yale, and Remote Finder a little while longer...

Upgraded to a DS2 so didn't fight that battle with the original DS...

sorta lives, yes they will still connect but parts of them won't work properly....

4 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

sorta lives, yes they will still connect but parts of them won't work properly....

Right, that's already been covered here, another one I found not mentioned was it doesn't seem to clear out the media playing if you stop it, but I was surprised anything from 4Store still worked at all.

• 2 months later...

Good to hear you still have functionality in 3.1.  I am most interested in starting/stopping streaming music in multiple zones. Also the ability to control lighting. I know I am on borrowed time the the IE TS's but changing them over slowly vs all 3 at one time is appealing. 

The loss of surveillance cams is not a major factor for me. I use my iphone and the Synology App to view and get much better resolution.

• 2 months later...

Anybody figured out what to do with Infinity Edge on 3.1.1?  They got nuked by the change to remove default passwords it seems.  They get to a screen asking for a password with the prompt "Authentication failed. Please reset your password".

These were working fine for me for basic audio control for me and display of media playing in the zone, so I'd like to get them going again if there is a hack.

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

Nope.

Nope these are definitely doorstops, or nope as in their might be a workaround but it just hasn't been determined yet?  I guess I don't know enough about the security change, but it seems that if a device isn't in a project maybe it has no chance of being allowed a connection to a controller?

The only reason you could keep them going (in their limited fashion) is BECAUSE of the old backdoor. That backdoor to the best of my knowledge is not only locked, it's been torn out and cemented over.

Connections to the project can only be initialized from the main controller or composer.

Make of it what you will, but I've been staring at black screens myself for awhile.

On 12/25/2019 at 2:09 AM, South Africa C4 user said:

I think it is time to change the topic name... maybe replace “lives” with “- RIP”

I think it's a reason to not upgrade to 3.1.1 for some.  But if you are on 3.x, you are probably going to eventually be "forced" to upgrade unless you can't live without the touchscreens.

My issue is that I purchased two T3 touchscreens but they have been a nightmare for me.  I have lockup / freeze issues, and I have been pulling my hair out trying different solutions: swapping their locations, plugging them in with a short ethernet at the swtich, using wireless instead, etc.  They will freeze while using them, or when there is dynamic things going on in the room like music playing.  Even if I wanted to replace all the Infinity Edge I won't touch another one until I figure this out.

I've never had issues with any other PoE devices, both old and new door stations, and the Infinity Edge were rock solid.  Also crazy I can't really find anybody with the same problems.

I bought the SG300 Cisco switches so these are not cheap switches.  I have them dumbed down as much as I can determine.  Swapping to wireless took them out of the equation to a certain extent, but I still am powering them through the SG300 no matter what.

RMA is an option, somehow trying them on another switch would be an option, I don't have a spare one so I would have to buy.

9 minutes ago, turls said:

I think it's a reason to not upgrade to 3.1.1 for some.  But if you are on 3.x, you are probably going to eventually be "forced" to upgrade unless you can't live without the touchscreens.

My issue is that I purchased two T3 touchscreens but they have been a nightmare for me.  I have lockup / freeze issues, and I have been pulling my hair out trying different solutions: swapping their locations, plugging them in with a short ethernet at the swtich, using wireless instead, etc.  They will freeze while using them, or when there is dynamic things going on in the room like music playing.  Even if I wanted to replace all the Infinity Edge I won't touch another one until I figure this out.

I've never had issues with any other PoE devices, both old and new door stations, and the Infinity Edge were rock solid.  Also crazy I can't really find anybody with the same problems.

I bought the SG300 Cisco switches so these are not cheap switches.  I have them dumbed down as much as I can determine.  Swapping to wireless took them out of the equation to a certain extent, but I still am powering them through the SG300 no matter what.

RMA is an option, somehow trying them on another switch would be an option, I don't have a spare one so I would have to buy.

what is your main controller?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.