C4 Forums | Control4

Door Station and OS3 (limited functionality?)

mfg786

2 hours ago, mfg786 said:

Could there be a way to still utilize Door Stations with limited functionality? a custom driver or something to save these.

Id be thrilled if I could still use my 2 door stations. I would be thrilled if I can keep these going forward as they were expensive, expensive to install and difficult to replace giving their size that had to be custom cut in my stone.   These Are the types of devices that should never have to be replaced and always work in some manner even that it doesn’t receive new features.   Once you expect the customer to cut into their stone in the main entry you should never expect them to replace it with something of a different size.  I can understand the need to upgrade older Touchscreen but it is very insulting to have to replace a fixed doorstation...especially without a same sized replacement.

I believe the old ones are flash based which is why they had to be let go. I had to do an upgrade to 2.10.5 and it had to be removed from the project but re-added as a dumb doorbell, not sure if the dummy driver works in OS3 because I haven't had to deal with them much so I am not much help

14 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

I believe the old ones are flash based which is why they had to be let go. I had to do an upgrade to 2.10.5 and it had to be removed from the project but re-added as a dumb doorbell, not sure if the dummy driver works in OS3 because I haven't had to deal with them much so I am not much help

The door stations do not use flash.....this is incorrect.  I'm on 2.10.6 and they are still in my project.

seems like proxy issue but still they should not have abandon the door station like this------------this is a huge change for customers-----------there should have been a minimum functionality maintained, SIP proxy is a SIP proxy----------------I think its more to sell DS2 than a technical issue

I don't see a problem technically---letting a user press a button to ring----------and be able to have video intercom--------------

I am speechless on this--------------not good at a

2 hours ago, mfg786 said:

seems like proxy issue but still they should not have abandon the door station like this------------this is a huge change for customers-----------there should have been a minimum functionality maintained, SIP proxy is a SIP proxy----------------I think its more to sell DS2 than a technical issue

I don't see a problem technically---letting a user press a button to ring----------and be able to have video intercom--------------

I am speechless on this--------------not good at a

There are definitely technical challenges as the new communication utilizes freeswitch as well.  You could just stay on 2.10.6 and your system would still work and still be supported. 

Just now, mstafford388 said:

There are definitely technical challenges as the new communication utilizes freeswitch as well.  You could just stay on 2.10.6 and your system would still work and still be supported. 

It's just that C4 isn't willing to make it work with a compromise.  Shows how much they care about its customers.  I could understand if this was a 3rd party product, but its a C4 branded product that required me to custom cut my stone.  

1 minute ago, digitaltrader said:

It's just that C4 isn't willing to make it work with a compromise.  Shows how much they care about its customers.  I could understand if this was a 3rd party product, but its a C4 branded product that required me to custom cut my stone.  

But it absolutely does work, on 2.10.6.  Expecting new features when it comes to anything will often leave some casualties of some legacy stuff.  My opinion is I'd rather have engineering and support resources focused on innovation than dragging along old gear and trying to get it to live in an environment that it wasn't designed to live in, which may not even be possible.  

1 minute ago, mstafford388 said:

But it absolutely does work, on 2.10.6.  Expecting new features when it comes to anything will often leave some casualties of some legacy stuff.  My opinion is I'd rather have engineering and support resources focused on innovation than dragging along old gear and trying to get it to live in an environment that it wasn't designed to live in, which may not even be possible.  

I'm sure you would feel differently if you spent MSRP on 2 $1000 door stations just a few years ago and another $500 each to have them installed.  

12 minutes ago, digitaltrader said:

I'm sure you would feel differently if you spent MSRP on 2 $1000 door stations just a few years ago and another $500 each to have them installed.  

As a dealer is definitely easier for me to think big picture and be objective then only focus on the things that effect me directly, i'll give you that.  Don't kid yourself into thinking I haven't spent large amounts of money on things in this industry for myself I wish I hadn't a few years later.  That's just the nature of the beast. 

@digitaltrader I'm with you as well.  Spent a lot of money for this doorbell only a couple of years ago and now my dealer tells me is obsolete.  I have same problem with having to cut a custom hole in my front entrance to accommodate and now I'm screwed.

On 6/3/2019 at 6:43 AM, mstafford388 said:

spent large amounts of money on things in this industry for myself I wish I hadn't a few years later.

Oh the things I could buy today.

On 6/8/2019 at 8:34 AM, vvtech said:

cut a custom hole in my front entrance

No-one is arguing that that suck. But the same could be said for LOTS of in-wall doorstation options, In the last year alone I probably had a dozen DSMinis installed at houses that had some form of old intercom solution that was built into the wall.

This is in fact why I don't advise doing in-wall installations for these things to begin with.

In the end, you're beating a dead horse. The original DS is long overdue to be replaced, regardless of why exactly, it was a beast that needed to be taken down. Sad, sure. But that doesn't change the outcome.

Intercom technology has been around for ages and C4 was still selling the V1 doorstation when Ring was on the market.  Not much has changed hardware wise since the introduction of these products, its the software that makes them useful.  It's just that C4 doesn't want to support these software wise.  They boast at how many devices they support on their platform but are constantly dropping support for their own hardware.

I think you are probably aware of this, but there are kit options for this to be a swap-in replacement, cut in stone or not.  I understand it is not aesthetically the best option.

I will be seeing how it goes as I bit the bullet and ordered a DS2Mini, but I had my DS for eight years, so it wasn't as quick of a replacement as it was for some.  Sure would have been nice if they would have had an option that looked close to the same with different innards though.

That being said, I find it a little odd there has not been confirmation of any success or failure of joining a DSv1 back to a project post OS3 update.

10 hours ago, digitaltrader said:

but are constantly dropping support for their own hardware.

Oh yes, those old dimmers are long gone.

Look, if you want to keep beating the dead horse, go ahead. But for me the original DS has been a lost cause for too long to bother with it. Do I like telling people to 'just' get rid of it? Certainly not - but I've got more important things to worry about than this particular device.

25 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Oh yes, those old dimmers are long gone.

Look, if you want to keep beating the dead horse, go ahead. But for me the original DS has been a lost cause for too long to bother with it. Do I like telling people to 'just' get rid of it? Certainly not - but I've got more important things to worry about than this particular device.

This is a support group for the abused and battered owners of dysfunctional hardware.  Why do you keep insulting us?

1 hour ago, digitaltrader said:

This is a support group for the abused and battered owners of dysfunctional hardware.  Why do you keep insulting us?

This is a forum for end-users to get help if they are having issues with a device, get information on all kinds of available features in C4 and how to use them.

I'm not insulting you, you just don't like the answers you're given.

17 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

This is a forum for end-users to get help if they are having issues with a device, get information on all kinds of available features in C4 and how to use them.

I'm not insulting you, you just don't like the answers you're given.

That was tongue in cheek

I think for not enough reasons but the sake of more revenue to be generated, for control4 to terminate the hc250, speaker point amp and door station gen1 lines, that created an unfair situation for their existing customers  

To be flexible in this market is a concept going away unfortunately. 

So for an existing control4 client after 3-5 years with a control4 system in good standings performances, with the addition of Triad amps, DS2 (aka same as Savant), and EA1s. The upgrade becomes way too pricy.

It’s worth to mention, If a HC800 without on screen works fine with the OS3 upgrade, why terminate the HC250. EA1s processing capacity with navigators are similar to HC250s without On screen ? I guess CA1s work just fine with the new OS    

If an IP single zone amp would cost less than 500.00 investment that still works on legacy firmware versions, ramping volume from a single input source.

or for a client that spent 600.00 plus installation of an outdoor door station! Cosmetically is a huge costly change  as well.

These replacement costs to the end user for the sake of a fancy app, aren’t fair. 

SnapAv, aka the new boss, has Yamaha IP single zone SDDP amps for less than the Triad Version. Way smaller size as well  any alternatives here? 

The 15%off for the customer upgrade program doesn’t wash the installation nor the cost of reinvesting these elements onto an existing system. 

The plus is OS3 gives more power on hands of the end user, and less time consuming for the dealers to set up medium to large systems. 

eventually, adding new customers hopefully will compensate the reluctance from a bunch of existing clients feeling like they were left behind and pushed on overspending with the present possibility of evolution from their systems. 

Overall. I look forward to see the new products like the handheld remote control and what the future updates will turn some existing lines to obsolete. 

Network wise I hope Pakedge evolves to a competitive price range vs go away

Ovrc hubs are built in on routers and PDUs  so the NK1-2 are just to be gone with the wind  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.