C4 Forums | Control4

OS3.0 Comments and Shairbridge

I have spent a lot of time tinkering with OS3 and my system over the last few days (as has my dealer who is probably sick of me).

My general view is that this is a massive step forward and something great for C4 to build on.  I love the ability to show and hide things at will.  I also absolutely love the favorite rooms option.  This is really practical. It is disappointing that one cannot have a button that goes to any menu of ones choice.  I wanted this for basic irrigation control.  My workaround was to create a dummy room called irrigation and favorite all the controls to the main page of the room.  I then showed my gardener how to swipe from the patio room to the “dummy” irrigation room.

The new Media Session is also awesome although I think I need to get rid of my Media Scenes and reprogram some stuff to use this to its full potential.

Intercom (and the DS2) seem to be much more stable in this release. Admittedly it is early days!

The while UI is much more professional and user friendly.  The cynic in me says that we are now (finally) a couple of steps ahead of where we were when we dropped Flash... Favourites are back, thenC4 at the top left gives a different view again... All really cool even if I’d have liked it a year or two back.

The biggest miss (and I assume it is coming) is no Apple Music support. To make that worse, the iTunes driver has lost most of its functionality (e.g. no access from a navigator).  As a temporary work around, I have programmed my Apple Music playlists to play via the old iTunes driver (on Alexa voice commands and certain button presses) and am using Shairbridge to stream them from my Mac Mini to Control4.  Hopefully we get better Apple integration soon.  Or the iTunes driver upgraded for OS3 as this was an underrated driver if set up properly.

One other pain in the neck is the very limited amount of text per Experience button.  All mine were cut off (well over 100 cases so lots of renaming was required).  Fortunately I sat with my dealer and we did all of this in a couple of hours... but this is a negative and C4 should look at allowing 2 rows of text at the bottom of the buttons. OS2 dealt with this much better.  Hopefully @msgreenf renamer driver works in OS3 or I am going to have my dealer out often as I further clean this up.

A few bugs that I noticed:

1. One thermostat does not work properly on iOS although it works fine on the T3 as do all the others on iOS and the T3. The first app bug fix update also did not fix this.

2. The media sessions volume slider is sometimes slow and jerky to respond when multiple rooms are selected.

3. Shairbridge is not working well for me after OS3.  It gives static 1 in 5 times that I use it.  I reduced my number of Shairbridge drivers from 8 to 7 and this seemed to improve my error rate to around 1 in 10. Still very annoying as I am now using Shairbridge a lot (see above).  Any suggestions would be received with gratitude!

4. Probably not a bug but rather a fix that I have had to work around.  I used to use my garage (no speakers and no audio end point) to play music to (particularly when using voice control) prior to joining other rooms in and turning off the garage.  Essentially this was a dummy audio zone.  This stopped working and I had to get my dealer to add an audio end point (a zone on a receiver that I am not using).  Now it all works again.

4 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

4. Probably not a bug but rather a fix that I have had to work around.  I used to use my garage (no speakers and no audio end point) to play music to (particularly when using voice control) prior to joining other rooms in and turning off the garage.  Essentially this was a dummy audio zone.  This stopped working and I had to get my dealer to add an audio end point (a zone on a receiver that I am not using).  Now it all works again.

4. you could setup a room to just be favorites and setup your favorite options there. I don't know the specifics has i have not tried it yet but have seen it mentioned.

you should also just be able to favorite comfort or something to the patio page and have all of the irrigation available there not as intuitive but does mean you can get rid of the extra room. 

I agree some page flips would be one of the best things to make os 3 perfect 

3 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

4. you could setup a room to just be favorites and setup your favorite options there. I don't know the specifics has i have not tried it yet but have seen it mentioned.

you should also just be able to favorite comfort or something to the patio page and have all of the irrigation available there not as intuitive but does mean you can get rid of the extra room. 

I agree some page flips would be one of the best things to make os 3 perfect 

I expected full page flip functionality to come quite quickly after the Navigation Agent appeared a year or two back. I assume it will appear soon...

26 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I expected full page flip functionality to come quite quickly after the Navigation Agent appeared a year or two back. I assume it will appear soon...

the technology is there is works for cameras, well, any time motion or a door opens the respective camera pops up on TS's and PIP if the tv is on.

• 1 month later...

I have not seen anything on the forums about the patch that was released recently to fix the Shairbridge issue in OS3. My dealer ran the patch for me today and it seems to have done the trick... fingers crossed.

I don’t quite understand why this was done as a patch rather than a new OS version but very glad that it has been done.  Thank you C4!

Shairbridge works great for me. I too wish that we had Apple Music integration similar to that of Napster. That would be a game changer for me. No idea if that's possible or not. I'd also love native apps for services like Audible.

I do like sessions, but turning the volume up and down doesn't work well for devices that don't have discrete volume input. IE: my Pioneer TV's are controlled via RS232. I can't turn the volume up and down (at least that I've figured out) from the app on those devices. The - and + buttons are gone in favor of the slider. This is a big frustration for me, but should be solved in my new place as I'm planning to route all audio through ceiling speakers/distributed audio and not the TV's speakers.

On 6/2/2019 at 9:54 AM, South Africa C4 user said:

The biggest miss (and I assume it is coming) is no Apple Music support. To make that worse, the iTunes driver has lost most of its functionality (e.g. no access from a navigator).  As a temporary work around, I have programmed my Apple Music playlists to play via the old iTunes driver (on Alexa voice commands and certain button presses) and am using Shairbridge to stream them from my Mac Mini to Control4.  Hopefully we get better Apple integration soon.  Or the iTunes driver upgraded for OS3 as this was an underrated driver if set up properly.

I'd do backflips for apple music integration vs using share bridge.  But I really don't think it will happen. I don't think this exists anywhere. Closest you get is appletv on smart-tvs now.   

Sonos has Apple Music integration. I favorite Apple Music playlists and radio stations, and they show up under Sonos > Stations on my navigators. I am also able to favorite them to rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, drro said:

Sonos has Apple Music integration. I favorite Apple Music playlists and radio stations, and they show up under Sonos > Stations on my navigators. I am also able to favorite them to rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you would suggest buying something like this (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/connect.html) and then having it as an audio source to my system? Then for programming I can say "PLAY XX SONG" like I can with Napster? Or is there a "soft" way to get Sonos that doesn't require me buying more hardware?

Yes, on the Sonos Connect.  That's the setup I have.  If you don't require multiroom music, I believe you can integrate other Sonos products, like a Sonos One or one off their Soundbars and achieve the same thing for a single room.  On "PLAY XX SONG" do you mean by voice, or through programming?  An example of programming I have is Single Tap Button 3 on Six Button Keypad > Plays "Sonos favorite" Daves Faves Playlist in Living Room.  If you have T3 touchscreens or Mobile Device apps, you can also pin a Sonos Favorite (Playlist, Radio Station, Podcast, etc.) to a room's homescreen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.