C4 Forums | Control4

How to detect power outage to hot tub and create alert

OceanDad

We have a roof top Sundance hot tub, powered by a dedicated 220v power line.  We occasionally experience a loss of power due to the GFI breaker popping.  Because nothing else in the house is affected we can be unaware of the power being out for a few days.  By this time, the water is cold and becomes pretty dirty due to the pumps and filter/UV being off. 

Can anyone suggest a good solution for a sensor wired into the circuit that would detect the power loss and that I could program to create an email alert ?  I’m assuming it would be connected into the 220v inside the hot tub wiring.  There is probably also a low voltage supply to the hot tub’s digital control panel, but I haven’t checked to be sure.

There’s a good zigbee mesh up on the roof, as it has an EA-1, a Z2IO and light switches up there already.

12 hours ago, OceanDad said:

We have a roof top Sundance hot tub, powered by a dedicated 220v power line.  We occasionally experience a loss of power due to the GFI breaker popping.  Because nothing else in the house is affected we can be unaware of the power being out for a few days.  By this time, the water is cold and becomes pretty dirty due to the pumps and filter/UV being off. 

Can anyone suggest a good solution for a sensor wired into the circuit that would detect the power loss and that I could program to create an email alert ?  I’m assuming it would be connected into the 220v inside the hot tub wiring.  There is probably also a low voltage supply to the hot tub’s digital control panel, but I haven’t checked to be sure.

There’s a good zigbee mesh up on the roof, as it has an EA-1, a Z2IO and light switches up there already.

any chance there is wifi control of the unit?  Just thinking outside the box but a device like a FingBox will monitor your network and you can pick to get alerts when any particular device goes offline.  Hot Tub loses power - wifi goes out - you get a text.  This way you do not have to bring an electrician over to do anything fancy and the Fingbox can also serve other purposes to help monitor your network and other devices.

Easiest way would be if you had a set of contact wires running up there, you could just hook up the output of a 220V relay, powered by the same hookup as the hot tub.

You could possibly get a battery powered contact input that would only send on contact state change, then you wouldn't need the wires run up, but you need something that won't get powered down while the unit has lost power...

And you'd have to worry about the batteries running out.

RyanE

I could probably run contact wires.  There is 24v AC running landscape lights and a 12v DC line too.  They are separate from the 220v that powers the hot tub.  There’s also an EA-1 and a Z2IO sitting in a weatherproof AV cabinet that controls outdoor AV.  That’s on a separate 110v circuit.

Been there, tried to do that.  Lots of the new homes round here have removed/bypassed the new style GFI breakers from their panels.  They are required by code (for pretty much everything, not just outdoor/bath/kitchen) but cause endless problems.  Lots of fun for electricians and automation guys, especially when devices/IP control don't reset properly.  

I'm obviously not getting rid of a GFI breaker when a hot tub is involved, but I would like to know as soon as it has tripped.  Probably happens once a month or so.  I like the current switch idea - something like this I assume :

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/sensors_-z-_encoders/current_-a-_voltage_sensors_(ac_-a-_dc)/current_switches_-a-_indicators/single_range_ac_current_operated_switches/acsl020-ae-s

Yea, I just had to say it. Hate to think a real issue is being overlooked when water/power/people are mixed.

Yes, products like that one. Lots of choices and types. Some like that where you can clip over a line. You don't have to  install it near the tub. You can install right off the panel. You then just need to decide if to alert off NC or NO changes.

You can use these kinds of things for switching on aux items when another item is hot. Some of these have adjustments so they can switch with higher loads. Helpful when something has a vampire load normally. Simple example is switching on dust collection systems when a saw is powered on.

The only issue with the CT-type solutions is they require independent power, so if your 220V is also powering the sense electronics, they'll fail to report, since they'll also have lost power.

Simple is best, and you can't get much simpler than a 220V relay wired in parallel with the hot tub (assuming you don't mind working high voltage to get it installed).  The CT clamp is great if you also have a separate line available to power the electronics.

Good luck with the project.

RyanE

I have also have a Sundance and there is a light on the outside of the tub maybe you can tap into that.

Another way I have been thinking about doing this is a temp sensor.. since my tub is always 101 Degrees so if it drops below 98 I know its off

• 6 months later...

Not sure if it helps but there are Elk 220v to 110v relays that maybe you could put a smart outlet on the 110v part and use that for the hot tub? We plan to use these for infared heaters on the porch. https://www.amazon.com/Elk-Contactor-Lockable-Structured-Enclosure/dp/B004HMZOUS We did home run the 220v to separate spot in electrical room though just for these. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.