C4 Forums | Control4

Can you downgrade 3.0 to 2.10?

11 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

Ok... Generally I've been fairly quiet for the last year and mostly just reading the threads watching for new C4 stuff or other interesting 3rd party items, and or ideas. 

But I had to pop in and post before slinking back into the shadows...  Are you always this nasty to people and are you yourself a dealer, hopefully not mine if you are... I ask because many of your posts trend towards not so nice. The OP said he just upgraded, didn't say he did it and didn't say he didn't do it.  I think most of us assumed he upgraded via his dealer who didn't inform him of possible issues, conflicts, or loss of functionality.  Believe it or not, not every dealer is amazing and covers these things.  Sometimes a client calls and says they want to upgrade and so the dealer upgrades them, no questions asked. 

Yes you can read this thread and come to possible conclusions but why? What purpose does it serve outside of trolling someone. I'm sure I'll get accused of doing the same thing but if you look at my past posts you'll see that my MO is generally the same. There is no reason to be mean, nasty, ignorant, or otherwise to people.  

With that said, back to the shadows and maybe someday I'll just learn to keep my mouth shut. 

Thanks for saying what I was thinking, I'd stopped replying because I could see where this was going.

To add the context (which proves your point exactly) I did have it upgraded by a dealer, but wanted to know how it could be rolled back so I knew what was involved. So I could see if I could do it myself or work out how much it would cost in dealer time.

17 minutes ago, niall said:

Thanks for saying what I was thinking, I'd stopped replying because I could see where this was going.

To add the context (which proves your point exactly) I did have it upgraded by a dealer, but wanted to know how it could be rolled back so I knew what was involved. So I could see if I could do it myself or work out how much it would cost in dealer time.

one of the first posts you said you didnt have access to the KB - that was enough that those on here should know you aren't a dealer

Don't let one bad apple ruin the bunch.

2 hours ago, cdepaola said:

Ok... Generally I've been fairly quiet for the last year and mostly just reading the threads watching for new C4 stuff or other interesting 3rd party items, and or ideas. 

But I had to pop in and post before slinking back into the shadows...  Are you always this nasty to people and are you yourself a dealer, hopefully not mine if you are... I ask because many of your posts trend towards not so nice. The OP said he just upgraded, didn't say he did it and didn't say he didn't do it.  I think most of us assumed he upgraded via his dealer who didn't inform him of possible issues, conflicts, or loss of functionality.  Believe it or not, not every dealer is amazing and covers these things.  Sometimes a client calls and says they want to upgrade and so the dealer upgrades them, no questions asked. 

Yes you can read this thread and come to possible conclusions but why? What purpose does it serve outside of trolling someone. I'm sure I'll get accused of doing the same thing but if you look at my past posts you'll see that my MO is generally the same. There is no reason to be mean, nasty, ignorant, or otherwise to people.  

With that said, back to the shadows and maybe someday I'll just learn to keep my mouth shut. 

If you want to look back, the OP 'thanked' me for the value I added, when I was the first one to point him to where the answer to the question was found. It seemed pretty apparent they're working with cracked Composer or something, but they had the temerity to throw shade at me for suggesting they use dealer resources to solve a dealer issue.

But, again, thanks for your opinion of your partial perception of the events unfolding, that's productive. I at least responded, several times, on topic.

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

one of the first posts you said you didnt have access to the KB - that was enough that those on here should know you aren't a dealer

Don't let one bad apple ruin the bunch.

saying they don't have access to the KB usually implies they're trying to DIY a solution and taking away from those who work for a living at this, and come here on their own accord to help out.

All he/she has to say at that point, (since I was the one who first offered help), is 'thanks, I'll point that out to my dealer.'

10 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

saying they don't have access to the KB usually implies they're trying to DIY a solution and taking away from those who work for a living at this, and come here on their own accord to help out.

All he/she has to say at that point, (since I was the one who first offered help), is 'thanks, I'll point that out to my dealer.'

?

I dont have access to the KB

Am I taking away from those who do this for a living?

7 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

I dunno. Are you? An example doesn't take away from something usually being true.

usually being true, got it.  following the logical approach here - a majority of people on this site do not have access to the KB so following your logic a majority of people on this site are trying to take away from the livelihood of C4 dealers.  I've paid handsomely to dealers on and off this forum over the last 5 years.

Since you seem to have this knowledge, riddle me this - why do C4 dealers come here for free on their own accord to offer up help and advice?  Not all are remote dealers "marketing" their brand to get new business.  Some here literally do it for free, for nothing in return.

11 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

usually being true, got it.  following the logical approach here - a majority of people on this site do not have access to the KB so following your logic a majority of people on this site are trying to take away from the livelihood of C4 dealers.  I've paid handsomely to dealers on and off this forum over the last 5 years.

Since you seem to have this knowledge, riddle me this - why do C4 dealers come here for free on their own accord to offer up help and advice?  Not all are remote dealers "marketing" their brand to get new business.  Some here literally do it for free, for nothing in return.

because I enjoy helping, usually, and I'm a forum junkie. have been for decades.

but when people are dismissive of the help I and others give, and their behavior/attitude is suspiciously like the DIY-wannabe who hurts basically all of us, I don't stay silent.   

18 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

following the logical approach here - a majority of people on this site do not have access to the KB so following your logic a majority of people on this site are trying to take away from the livelihood of C4 dealers.  I've paid handsomely to dealers on and off this forum over the last 5 years.

No. My logic is that someone running a cracked Composer takes away from dealers and legitimate homeowners alike. He was asking quite technical questions and procedures that require dealer intervention. WHy does he need to confirm the procedure to reflash a controller? It's covered extensively on the KB and any dealer worth their salt knows it back and forwards.

And then the dismissive attitude towards someone who referred him to the KB suggests an animosity towards the dealer model. DIYers are frequently displaying that attitude on these boards.

21 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

but when people are dismissive of the help I and others give, and their behavior/attitude is suspiciously like the DIY-wannabe who hurts basically all of us, I don't stay silent.   

Did you read the thread, I think I made it clear that a dealer did the upgrade and I wanted to know if I could roll back myself.

There is no need to cast aspersions about people you don't know, as you can see from the other messages it doesn't enhance your reputation. Quite the opposite.

3 hours ago, niall said:

Obviously its in C4 & dealers interest that the market is bigger. That comes from more people using their stuff and taking an interest in it - thats how you get loyal users.

People asking questions about how things are done is to increase their knowledge, and in turn builds their loyalty. Being told I can't tell you because its a secret has the opposite effect.

16 minutes ago, niall said:

Did you read the thread, I think I made it clear that a dealer did the upgrade and I wanted to know if I could roll back myself.

There is no need to cast aspersions about people you don't know, as you can see from the other messages it doesn't enhance your reputation. Quite the opposite.

Obviously its in C4 & dealers interest that the market is bigger. That comes from more people using their stuff and taking an interest in it - thats how you get loyal users.

People asking questions about how things are done is to increase their knowledge, and in turn builds their loyalty. Being told I can't tell you because its a secret has the opposite effect.

You made it clear a dealer did the upgrade, LONG LONG after you were inconsiderate to the first person who responded to give you an answer. No points awarded for fully answering the question after you're rude.

I didn't cast aspersions until after YOU were inconsiderate (to the person who helped you). What does that say about YOUR reputation? I go out of my way, for no benefit, to help people DESPITE THEIR ATTITUDES.

It's NOT in C4's interest to let any DIY person do anything they want. This is the standard DIY argument made here 2098098x a year. See, you're proving my point about how your behavior SUGGESTS that you're not a legit user. You may be. But your behavior and attitude imply otherwise. (my attitude says I'm a grumpy old man who tried to answer your question).

The question was "Can you downgrade 3.0 to 2.10?". MY ANSWER was, "yes" and THEN I FURTHER POINTED OUT WHERE TO GET THE INFORMATION.

/sigh

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 4:57 PM, thegreatheed said:

because I enjoy helping, usually, and I'm a forum junkie. have been for decades.

Just have to ask.... Do you make any distinction between a "DIY-wannabe" versus DIY's? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.