C4 Forums | Control4

Best Ring driver?

Q: What is the best Ring driver for Control4 - my understanding is that there is more than one.

For those that remember, on another thread I/we were debating Conrtrol4 DoorStation 2 versus Ring Elite.

I went with Ring Elite.  So far I like the video quality and the app.  Companies like Control4 (with their DoorStation and Intercom Anywhere) SnapAV /  Luma should think seriously about making their app more like Ring in terms of showing a list of events and events.  Super easy in Ring to go back to where someone hit the doorbell or where motion was picked up and watch the video of them.  Also like being able to make the existing Amazon Echo devices in the home act as chimes and ability to quickly bring up video at front door on an Echo Show device.

I'm now looking to do some events off of the button push on the Ring.  Not sure that I care a lot about motion, but who knows.

Is there any way possible to make the Ring video come up on any of the TVs?  I remember the answer being no because their API doesn't allow access to the video stream...

• 3 months later...

At this stage there is no improvements.  There is only one dedicated Ring driver made by Blackwire (Seth did a fantastic job on it).  You can also utilise our IFTTT Maker driver for Ring as well (which is what i'm doing for my home).

Both of which offer the doorbell detection and motion detection.

10 hours ago, Bullseye said:

Reviving the issue.  With the new changes in the intercom, do we have any chance of getting a more complete driver for the ring video dorbell? Or are the hope of some video integration gone?

This isn't going to be possible until Ring exposes video via RTSP.  Don't really see this happening anytime soon, since they make money on their cloud streaming service.

37 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

This isn't going to be possible until Ring exposes video via RTSP.  Don't really see this happening anytime soon, since they make money on their cloud streaming service.

That is incorrect.  We have the RTSP URLs. Control4 is why the video integration currently does not work. They are aware of what is needed to make video work. 

10 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

you call BS on the fact that Kevin has a relationship with Ring and they would share it with him?  That has already has access to the API and uses it already....ok....go for it!

Nah I know who Kevin is and what he's involved in. Was hoping to trick him!

1 hour ago, Kevin L said:

Yes in fact they are secret, require a massive amount of security and authorization to use and change multiple of times per day. So.. No..

I am sure someone will say I am wrong but getting Ring to work with Control4 should be a top priority for the company (Control4) right now. 

4 minutes ago, therockhr said:

Control4 should make it a top priority to get this working.

how many camera brands does Snap own now? They aren't a distributor for Ring (that I am aware of).  Not saying I wouldn't personally love it and find it useful but just trying to think of all the motivation to make changes like this...

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

how many camera brands does Snap own now? They aren't a distributor for Ring (that I am aware of).  Not saying I wouldn't personally love it and find it useful but just trying to think of all the motivation to make changes like this...

Having compatibility with Ring seems like a big selling point to me. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.