C4 Forums | Control4

How do you like OS3 so far?

jfh

I’m at 2.10.5 and trying to decide between 2.10.6 and 3.0 but a little hesitant of taking the 3.0 jump before a maintenance release.

Since it’s been a couple weeks, was interested in the experiences of those that have migrated to 3.0 so far.  Thanks.

Absolutely loving it... there are a few limitations and glitches (I posted on these elsewhere) but definitely worth taking the plunge.

My beach house was still on OS 2.10.6 and I logged in to it after a week of so of being on 3.0 in my home and I must say that it felt “old fashioned”.  My dealer is down at my beach house this week doing various things and my number one priority for him is to upgrade to OS3!

• 3 weeks later...

Everything worked for me before OS3, then I decided to update and had issues with intercom as been stated by a number of posts.  Finally got it fixed, but overall I liked the old layout.. this didn't really do anything for me..  I just watch Tv and listen to music. everything else didn't really do anything for me.  I haven't updated my family systems since it will confuse everyone more than do anything for them.

If you use the onscreen display for lights, security, heating etc then don't upgrade as you loose all of this. The benefits are not enough for me for the loss of functionality.

The only hardware I had  thats not supported was the touchscreen, but the new app on an iPad is far better.

On the plus side the new app is very good, lots of nice things like being able to see which lights are still on, rather than having to scroll the whole house to find them. Also putting shortcuts to things on the main screen are very useful.

I've not found any exciting functionality that makes it a must have, but apart from the OSD stuff thats missing its much nicer to have.

loving OS3.

#1 favorite feature is the new volume slider instead of the +/- buttons from OS2. Media Sessions button in nice too. adding/removing rooms has never been better.

Also really like to favorite rooms and swipe between them.

Favoriting things like favorite radio station is nice too.

And I never thought i would like it, but I love having the ability for custom backgrounds and taking a picture of each of my rooms. It looks great.

As long as stuff works I don't mind it,.. had to get used to where all the icons are, since I was so used to the old.. but I don't customize anything or do anything other want watch or listen and turn lights on or off at times otherwise. just need it to work.  So far so good

1 hour ago, Ashraful Islam said:

I found nothing to customized in GUI. Neither icon nor anything like Crestron. i m not clear about the GUI system yet. Can anyone explain it? 

You can now favorite icons to the home screen on a room by room basis, as well as rearrange and delete icons from the home screen.  Since 2.9 you've been able to use the scenario driver to put custom icons on the GUI, now you just have the flexibility to favorite those custom icons.  You can also now do custom background images per room as well.  With a little tweaking you really can give a much more personal feel to the interfaces on a system.  

Ok - these are probably pretty stupid questions, but I haven't spent a lot of time with OS3 yet.

The videos all talk about a common "Dashboard" where you can add favorites/icons from any room in your house.  Where is this dashboard?  Does my dealer need to create a "Dashboard" room just so the UI will show this? 

How can I add favorites to a room from another room?  I don't see the option when I press and hold an icon to place the favorite in another room.

Where is the "Home screen?  The C4 videos show a "My Home" screen that I cannot seem to find.

You can now favorite icons to the home screen on a room by room basis, as well as rearrange and delete icons from the home screen.  Since 2.9 you've been able to use the scenario driver to put custom icons on the GUI, now you just have the flexibility to favorite those custom icons.  You can also now do custom background images per room as well.  With a little tweaking you really can give a much more personal feel to the interfaces on a system.  
You can also favorite certain rooms and swipe left or right to switch between favorite rooms quickly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

Ok - these are probably pretty stupid questions, but I haven't spent a lot of time with OS3 yet.

The videos all talk about a common "Dashboard" where you can add favorites/icons from any room in your house.  Where is this dashboard?  Does my dealer need to create a "Dashboard" room just so the UI will show this? 

How can I add favorites to a room from another room?  I don't see the option when I press and hold an icon to place the favorite in another room.

Where is the "Home screen?  The C4 videos show a "My Home" screen that I cannot seem to find.

Great questions actually.  You do need to have your dealer create a room called My Home or Dashboard or whatever, and then add whatever you want to that room's screen.

You can add favorites to a room, they don't need to be "in" that room, but they need to be visible in that room's watch or listen menus, or in the case of lighting, you can click on "all rooms" to see lights and scenes from any room.  If devices aren't visible, you can of course make them visible using composer HE, or have your dealer do it if you don't have HE.  In the case of the "My Home" room, when you create that room just make everything visible.

hope that helps

48 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

Great questions actually.  You do need to have your dealer create a room called My Home or Dashboard or whatever, and then add whatever you want to that room's screen.

You can add favorites to a room, they don't need to be "in" that room, but they need to be visible in that room's watch or listen menus, or in the case of lighting, you can click on "all rooms" to see lights and scenes from any room.  If devices aren't visible, you can of course make them visible using composer HE, or have your dealer do it if you don't have HE.  In the case of the "My Home" room, when you create that room just make everything visible.

hope that helps

This is an interesting concept, and one I hadn't considered. I have to give that some thought......

• 2 weeks later...

yeah I noticed that too... I open the old one for my other locations since I didn't want to upgrade them and they load fast..  or once it's loaded and I'm still at the location, when I go back to click the app, it loads immediate.. the new app spins and spins and then loads

yeah I noticed that too... I open the old one for my other locations since I didn't want to upgrade them and they load fast..  or once it's loaded and I'm still at the location, when I go back to click the app, it loads immediate.. the new app spins and spins and then loads

Control4 is aware and working on optimizations now

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I've just requested the upgrade from OS 2.10.6 to OS 3.0 😱

I have had to request a new dealership to perform this upgrade, given my current dealer has taken on bigger projects and no longer has time for me.

The new, independent dealer has advised to perform this update on-site, to ensure no glitches. I presume this is a valid concern, given the entirely new version?

Can anyone confirm no issues with C4 Alexa control (I heavily rely on this for all rooms!)?

Thanks!

Question for the group:  Since my upgrade to OS3, I am not able to access my system using Composer HE (v3.0.0)  on my work computer (i.e, over the internet).   My dealer looked into it, and said this "feature" was removed from v3, but may return later if Control4 receives feedback indicating customers miss the feature.  Is this true?  And, if so, what is the best means of letting Control4 know I miss the feature?

cc: @RyanE

I've just requested the upgrade from OS 2.10.6 to OS 3.0 
I have had to request a new dealership to perform this upgrade, given my current dealer has taken on bigger projects and no longer has time for me.
The new, independent dealer has advised to perform this update on-site, to ensure no glitches. I presume this is a valid concern, given the entirely new version?

Can anyone confirm no issues with C4 Alexa control (I heavily rely on this for all rooms!)?

Thanks!

I have updated about 50 systems remotely without issue. PM me if interested.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

I have updated about 50 systems remotely without issue. 

Including mine.

if you have some unusual devices or drivers in your system there may be some justification to be on site but the major benefit to having a dealer present during an upgrade is to be able to revert to the previous code level if something goes wrong (this typically can’t be done remotely).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.