C4 Forums | Control4

Android Tablets for OS 3.0?

8 hours ago, thegizzard said:

I'm looking into one of the wall mounted solutions. No worries about charging. I use Alexa for wakeups and intercoms.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Looking to do same.

5 hours ago, thegizzard said:

Is a license still needed for the PC and Mobile Apps?

Straight forward question, answer not so much so.

Yes, you still need a 'license' ascribed to your system to use the apps.

That said, HC800/HC250 controllers at one point started getting that license built-in, so registering any of the ones that had it will automatically add a license to your account (as long as that controller stays registered.

Controller that had that  added end their model number as -bl1

EA controllers all have it.

If you have an OLDER controller however, you may still need to add a license. Here's the catch though, they are no longer for sale, though a dealer CAN talk to his/her rep to obtain one if needed.

Note that this change is by now years old, but you could technically be running an OS3 system on an HC800 without a license.

Thanks. Years ago I purchased an unlimited license for the the mobile and PC apps. I no longer see those on my account online. My controller is an HC800. How can I tell if I can run the os3.0 PC and mobile apps before upgrading?

5 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

Also the PC app is dead in 3.0 though you can run blue stacks and vm android

Yep sorry, missed that part. I find running it on bluestacks is so much nicer that I've been doing that for a few years on os 2 already anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I am considering Control4 deployment for my new home, looking to use Android tablets. Any recommendations on Android or Amazon hardware would help a lot. Also I saw a mention on some thread about "Navigation agent" not working on tablet. Not sure what this is about, is that still a thing?

6 hours ago, aag said:

I am considering Control4 deployment for my new home, looking to use Android tablets. Any recommendations on Android or Amazon hardware would help a lot. Also I saw a mention on some thread about "Navigation agent" not working on tablet. Not sure what this is about, is that still a thing?

Anything other than native touch panels are not designated in the program so navigation agent cannot be used for ipads/android tablets

16 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

Anything other than native touch panels are not designated in the program so navigation agent cannot be used for ipads/android tablets

What is this "Navigation agent"? I understand there an app for Android that allows me do what the native panel does. Not having the Navigation agent limits me how? Thank you.

On 6/11/2019 at 11:21 PM, thegizzard said:

Can I replace my IE 7" screens with Android Tablets and use OS 3.0? If so, will lose any functionality?

Do IP cameras work?

I don't need intercoms, I use Alexa for that now.

C4 deliberately strips out functions from IOS/Android to force you to go there hardware root. I strongly advise you don’t go with their hardware unless you want to spend Thousands every 3-4 years. Only use C4 controllers and Remotes.

I went 100% with C4 and end up stuck with Intercom, touchscreens, room controllers that all rendered obsolete now and require more than $15k to be replaced not to mention the tons of rework needed to replace this hardware.

34 minutes ago, aag said:

Can you still navigate to cameras in another way?

Yes, you can still get to the cameras just like you do on your mobile app. I use a Fire HD8 in one of my bathrooms with the Show Dock and it works great (though you still currently have to take the Google Play side-load route to get OS3 on there). I didn't need the intercom or navigation agent features in that area so it serves my purposes really well and have near-zero connectivity issues. 

And being Prime Day is next week, you can probably grab one at a ridiculously cheap price to give it a try and just send it back if you don't like it. 

On 6/12/2019 at 1:41 PM, prabeau said:

Looking to do same.

The only use case am hanging over the C4 touch screens till now is to have my Outdoor DS1 to ring, video chat with the caller and to open main gate, other than that I can completely live without it.

The whole issue also in retrofitting a new solution, a total pain specially the DS1, it costed my at least $500 to cut into the stone and fit a back box with all necessary wiring ...

I am debating whether to pull the trigger on the Fire HD 8 with Show Dock for controlling my theater system.  I have a wall mounted iPad mini in the kitchen that works great with OS3, and also use an SR-260 in the living room for our main TV watching.

But what about for dedicated theater room?  Right now I'm using either the SR260 or my iPhone, but would like something with larger screen and better feedback, like volume level, etc.  Any thoughts on this? 

For theater use, we don't really watch much live TV so there is no channel surfing.  It's just selecting sources and adjusting volume and lights.  How would the Fire HD work for this?  And with Prime Day today, you can get the Fire HD 8 with charging dock for $85 total - a lot less than a dedicated C4 touch screen!

Thanks,

Dino

Also, can you put the Fire HD into a "dedicate mode" so that it stays on the C4 app constantly (like IOS Guided Access)?  I don't want to have to hunt for the OS3 app every time I turn it on, or accidentally send it to the home screen or another app, etc.

Thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.