C4 Forums | Control4

Android Tablets for OS 3.0?

I am debating whether to pull the trigger on the Fire HD 8 with Show Dock for controlling my theater system.  I have a wall mounted iPad mini in the kitchen that works great with OS3, and also use an SR-260 in the living room for our main TV watching.
But what about for dedicated theater room?  Right now I'm using either the SR260 or my iPhone, but would like something with larger screen and better feedback, like volume level, etc.  Any thoughts on this? 
For theater use, we don't really watch much live TV so there is no channel surfing.  It's just selecting sources and adjusting volume and lights.  How would the Fire HD work for this?  And with Prime Day today, you can get the Fire HD 8 with charging dock for $85 total - a lot less than a dedicated C4 touch screen!
Thanks,
Dino
Show mode as far as I know isn't configurable so you can't force it into the c4 app

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dinom said:

Also, can you put the Fire HD into a "dedicate mode" so that it stays on the C4 app constantly (like IOS Guided Access)?  I don't want to have to hunt for the OS3 app every time I turn it on, or accidentally send it to the home screen or another app, etc.

Thanks.

I don't think there is a dedicated mode for FireHD. I get around this by using an app that forces the screen to stay on and keeps the FireHD from going to sleep. Not sure how something like that would work in a theater room though where you probably don't want a bright screen on all the time.  

On 7/12/2019 at 5:11 PM, rea said:

Yes, you can still get to the cameras just like you do on your mobile app. I use a Fire HD8 in one of my bathrooms with the Show Dock and it works great (though you still currently have to take the Google Play side-load route to get OS3 on there). I didn't need the intercom or navigation agent features in that area so it serves my purposes really well and have near-zero connectivity issues. 

And being Prime Day is next week, you can probably grab one at a ridiculously cheap price to give it a try and just send it back if you don't like it. 

I bought 3 HD8 on the Prime Day, thank you for pointing out, great buy. What do you use for your door bell, is it integrated with Control4? If you can share your experience with security system and surveillance cameras would be great as well. 

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Play an announcement. Turn lights on. Idk. What do you want?

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Let me rephrase. Is there anything that can happen on my Fire HD 8? For example can I have my porch surveillance camera show something on Fire HD?

Let me rephrase. Is there anything that can happen on my Fire HD 8? For example can I have my porch surveillance camera show something on Fire HD?
This requires the navigation agent correct? And am I correct that Ring video doesn't work on any device all?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, aag said:

As far as integration goes, I don't anything would beat the C4 DS2. I would've gotten that, but it wasn't out yet so I have a Doorbird. Mine has worked great so far and integrates nicely into C4 (allows for triggers and viewing of video within C4 app), but doesn't have some of the Intercom functions the DS2 does and I think the resolution is better. 

As far as Ring goes, I think you're limited to what @msgreenf said above--don't think there's a way to view its video stream from within C4. Now, if you're primarily concerned about viewing on FireHD8s though, you could just ask Alexa to view your Ring cam when the doorbell rings and it should go straight to the video in the Ring app (I know this works on Shows, but would have to check on FireHDs). 

And @thegizzard, that's exactly what happens when my doorbell rings! :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.