C4 Forums | Control4

Security/Alarm Question

Hi all - new to this forum. I am about ready to move into our new house, which has an extensive C4 setup (lighting, audio, VDN, climate, pool, sprinklers, theater, heck even my piano will be automated).. But now the question is alarm system.

Here is the alarm situation:

-My new C4 implementation has some cameras, door station, etc..

-Existing alarm (20 years old) has some motion sensors, wired smokes, some glass break sensors, etc. The alarm guy came in and is trying to sell me on a C4 compatible upgrade (new panel, etc.) for $8k (plus monitoring)

So, some questions for everyone.

1. What do people generally use for alarms when integrating w/ an extensive C4 setup (i.e. do I just all ADT... or should I consider this upgrade proposal, etc)

2. Do I really need monitoring if I integrate w/ C4? Can i use the alerts in lieu (understanding it's a little different to have an email sent to me than to the fire department)

Not trying to be cheap ($150k+ system) - just want to understand what others are doing around alarms/monitoring. Thanks!

$8k for an alarm system seems incredibly high to me. Obviously don’t know what’s involved in the install or being quoted but I would get another quote or two

Are there cameras / door station included in that or JUST alarm equipment and monitoring?

you can get a full DSC kit with cell radio, C4 integration module, zone expander, and extra alpha keypads for around $1000. 

A year of cell monitoring can vary I would say $300-350 a year is average.

i moved into a house with an older DSC alarm panel - 1836 or 18xx something or other, i forget.   But the whole house was wired and ready to go.  I did a full blown C4 install and got an IT-100 module for $55 https://www.jmac.com/DSC_IT_100_p/TYCO-DSC-IT-100.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxYLoBRCxARIsAEf16-uyfXuby_ptMAJAxWTpLMcfMgHfaiCKukruCVCaMBtgvoe4LwGyrQgaAgt8EALw_wcB that talks to C4 directly

Even a new DSC panel is only a few hundred dollars, yes their time for install/programming is worth something but not $8k.  

What brand alarm is currently in place?  If its DSC you can maybe use the IT100 or the IT230.  If its another brand they have other add on modules vs replacing everything.

Also from my novice level experience, most wires/sensors are not proprietary.  So even if they remove the board they should not have to remove the smokes, window contacts, etc. 

17 hours ago, knowitall said:

$8k for an alarm system seems incredibly high to me. Obviously don’t know what’s involved in the install or being quoted but I would get another quote or two

Are there cameras / door station included in that or JUST alarm equipment and monitoring?

you can get a full DSC kit with cell radio, C4 integration module, zone expander, and extra alpha keypads for around $1000. 

A year of cell monitoring can vary I would say $300-350 a year is average.

Camera/Door Station is in the C4 install, so this is just alarm install. I asked for details, he is providing, but I agree, I think it's a ripoff. People see a big house and they triple the budget. I called 2 other companies for quotes. thanks for the second opinion

16 hours ago, msgreenf said:

and yes, you really do want monitoring IMHO.  Do you want the police to be called?  c4 won't do that/

Yes, agreed.. after thinking about it, I also realize that C4 could be down and the monitoring has cellular backup. thanks

2 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

I got a quote for DSC for 2 panels, communication panel, 3 motion sensors, 7 door sensors, 4 glass sensors, 3 wired smokes, 3 wired CO, sump pump alarm, battery backup, 2 siresn for $2225 installed. I think yours is a bit high.

Agreed, thanks for the 2nd opinion, based on everyone I am getting a quote. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.