C4 Forums | Control4

The real reason for SnapAV sale

Do you know Snap AV? Does the author? All I see is a very highly subjective opinion about some public financials and an SEC report.

I have no idea what will come of whatever happens, but moving to DIY has not been mentioned. Quite the opposite.

12 hours ago, C4junkie said:

No kidding!!!  You geniuses!!! But like it's as if many of us weren't telling you years ago your dealer only model was killing growth and here we have the CEO basically confessing users like me WERE 100% RIGHT!!!! So here we are - Control4 has sold out all you dealers -> to SnapAV (I should know what that's like - because I kept telling you guys, they sold out the end user years ago) and I warned you all this would happen (unless you told C4 central to change its business model and lighten it up for everyone's sake) and here we are and guess what Einteins' it's happened!!! >  they have sold you out!!!  and all you could do was lampoon me and bully me off the forum well hip hip hooray guys well done chaps!!!!!! Like as if this wasn't going to happen with your stupid dealer only model throttling sales - did you seriously think the Wall Street sharks and big boys were just going to sit back and let you all cosy along doing what you've been doing for an outmoded couple of decades without doing some deal to extract what wealth they could for themselves and the main shareholders by flogging it off for the eventual bust up? You bloody ripper chaps WELL DONE! (and thanks for listening NOT! ) 

I assume this is a wappinghigh burner account.

Imagine this being your life. SMH

You can see why most of the employee were selling shares  - Sounds like they had a few worries.

The Dealer Model will not go away and to be honest over time I think it will be more important, however I believe that Snap AV will look

at ways to increase business and  the opening up of Composer for a fee could be one .

Control4 Big Issue is Voice Control and Alexa / Google in our house is becoming more and more useful - However

we have Phillip Hue / Sonos - which work brilliantly with her.

I think they sold are right time. lets see what Snap AV do going forward.

On 6/15/2019 at 8:28 PM, msgreenf said:

This article is very interesting, Thank You!  Yes, obviously things need to change and I'm excited to see what SnapAV has in mind!  I think the future is bright (although bumpy this year) so lets just let this play out....for everyone, it will be win-win!

I get what @C4junkie is attempting to point out, but it's foolish to think that way. If Amazon, Apple, or Google bought Control4, then I could see DIY being a role and that would have been a sell out to everyone aside from homeowners. Snap AV is the opposite and the few announcements have reinforced the dealer model is staying.

Why would dealers want to change a model that ensures them exclusivity on configuring the product? That's the essence of the CI market.

I get that homeowners would like to be able to do it, but it's way more complicated than most, if not all, homeowners would know how to do. It's not like replacing a light bulb or plugging in a device to go to a web page with options that are easy to find and understand.

With DIY cluttering the marketplace, it's only a matter of time before end users find themselves spending too much time on automating their houses to get a lackluster experience compared to their neighbor's professionally installed system. That's already the case if the system is done right.

Anyone who claims to know the motivation behind all of this is either very disconnected from reality or is turning opinions into facts to push some agenda.  Everything is being held very close to the chest with the small group of people who are indeed aware of all aspects of this whole thing.  I've spoken with lots of people who are way more connected than random people writing about it on the internet and they don't have much more info than you and I if any.  It's all going to take time to play out and until it does claiming to know why it happened and how it will look moving forward is purely speculation.   

Just now, mstafford388 said:

Anyone who claims to know the motivation behind all of this is either very disconnected from reality or is turning opinions into facts to push some agenda. 

Or is liable to be sued for insider trading violations. 😂

But heya Wapp! Good to see you can still turn random facts and speculations into what you seem to believe is a coherent argument for something completely unrelated.

You know, you'd do great on Ancient Aliens.

I don't have any issues with observations which seems to be the meat of that article.  It's just foolish for people to take that as the whole story as nobody knows the whole story. Or worse, take those observations and fill in the blanks with their own story as we've seen in this thread :)

The trouble is now days is that people want convenience and cheap. We all remember when apple 1st launched the Ipod and every music insider just laughed it off. All saying it would never take off because people will not like or accept compressed music!!!!! We all know the answer. I also see it now days to a certain extent with home cinema. The amount of soundbars replacing the full AV experience is ridiculous. Same with blueray players, Most people just want to stream. 

The world is changing and while DIY systems will not provide the same high end experience it will still work and thats what people care about. For systems like C4 to survive they need to adapt and make it available to a wider audience. We might not like it but i'm afraid we are a dying breed.

Control4 sold itsself because:

There was not the expected revenue and growth

Major shareholders wanting to cash in and they increased the pressure after stock price plummeted and Neo acquisition will cost resources.

Why did Control4s reven and growth not meet expectations?

My 2c:

1 - the dealer only model does not attract new customers. It is limiting Control4 growth - I am sure of that. It's the major thing holding Control4 back.

2 - Entry costs are still high. HW needs to be cheaper and 4sight needs to be mandatory, maybe in different levels between 50 and 200$ per year depending on project sizes

3 - Lack of innovation. OS3 took ages and Control4 still doesn't support media management via web, support of TV series and ZigBee 3 is nowhere be seen...and I am not even talking about voice recognition.....

Dealers should realize that DiY will likely make them more money in the end as it lowers the entry cost and if systems get larger they are back in the game.

So let's see what SnapAV makes out of it....

17 hours ago, C4junkie said:

Hey some of you dealers - rather than throw mud (as usual) at posters who have been vindicated why not look into your own black mirror and answer the questions?!!!!??

did you actually ask any questions?  I just see a lot of preaching.  

15 hours ago, blub said:

Control4 sold itsself because:

There was not the expected revenue and growth

Major shareholders wanting to cash in and they increased the pressure after stock price plummeted and Neo acquisition will cost resources.

Why did Control4s reven and growth not meet expectations?

My 2c:

1 - the dealer only model does not attract new customers. It is limiting Control4 growth - I am sure of that. It's the major thing holding Control4 back.

2 - Entry costs are still high. HW needs to be cheaper and 4sight needs to be mandatory, maybe in different levels between 50 and 200$ per year depending on project sizes

3 - Lack of innovation. OS3 took ages and Control4 still doesn't support media management via web, support of TV series and ZigBee 3 is nowhere be seen...and I am not even talking about voice recognition.....

Dealers should realize that DiY will likely make them more money in the end as it lowers the entry cost and if systems get larger they are back in the game.

So let's see what SnapAV makes out of it....

Well said 

Yes. As I've repeatedly said. Although Snap is dealer-only, it is way less stringent. 
If I were a dealer, I'd be looking into alternatives because you are about to be competing with every electrician, alarm company, and contractor on the planet.
Except they have already said that isn't the case. They have publicly stated all c4 dealers requirements will stay the same post acquisition

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.