C4 Forums | Control4

What’s the current leading door solution?

What’s the current recommendation for Door Stations these days? Doorbird? Ring Elite? Control4 Doorstation?

I need to make a decision on something in the next few weeks and would appreciate drawing on the collective knowledge here. Really just want to be able to answer the door from anywhere like I do with the Ring today, but would prefer something flush mounted. 

i have a flushmount Doorbird and it looks very good, integrates fine with C4 and my C4 touchscreen.  I also have the Doorbird camera recording to my Synology NAS which is a nice feature.  The only thing for me is the delay to actually answer real time and talk to someone at the front door from phone app doesn't work.  By the time you are ready to talk, they have left.   Not sure of any of the other options are any better but thats my only comment with the Doorbird.

Curious on DS2 latency with IOS app.   I'm estimating someone is going to stand at door no more than 15 sec on average after ringing bell.    So when someone rings doorbell, signal transmit from doorstation to cloud to app,  screen on IOS device likely locked to get to app, then answer to get person before they leave.   Is this working fairly well with DS2?

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

Curious on DS2 latency with IOS app.   I'm estimating someone is going to stand at door no more than 15 sec on average after ringing bell.    So when someone rings doorbell, signal transmit from doorstation to cloud to app,  screen on IOS device likely locked to get to app, then answer to get person before they leave.   Is this working fairly well with DS2?

Why would it be any different than Ring or something else?

2 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

Why would it be any different than Ring or something else?

I would hope this is faster on C4/DS2 going local.  Ring has to connect to the ring cloud

I can testify that Ring had the same problem. Half the time the app was blank when trying to review the doorbell.   I replaced it with the RCA version of the Hikvision doorbell cam.   Works well enough but no C4 integration at all.  Mobile > Touchscreen or Navigator interface in this case.   Also, I use ZoneMinder to record doorbell along with other cams on the property.

46 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

DS2 has to access cloud just like other brands when away from home.

I'm not sure it does, at least not in the way ring and doorbird do.

Someone from C4 may have to chime in, but I believe the intercom app uses vpn access, not 'in-cloud' connections.

But he was specifically talking about local connection.

Regardless, I can tell you this, I get the ring within 3 seconds at the slowest I've noticed at home, and the only doorbells I don't catch people at the door with are the amazon delivery guys taht drop the box down, take the picture then ring the bell and walk off <_<

I was struggling between the DS2 and Ring as well. 

I went with the Ring Elite which is POE and thus the closest in terms of connectivity to the DS2.  The Ring Elite mounts flush with a standard single gang junction box. 

I prefer the look of the Ring Elite to the DS2. I was also concerned with the Soviet era multi-unit housing looking DS2 that people would not understand where the button was to push versus the more traditional (and LED lit) button on the Ring Elite. 

The Ring Elite isn’t differentiated versus the other Ring doorbells in terms of features or the app, so you’re really paying for the look and connectivity. 

I’ve been very pleased with the responsiveness and frankly the Ring App. Control4 and others like Luma (SnapAV) could take some notes on the app from Ring in my opinion. 

I haven’t gotten the driver for Ring loaded yet.  Of course the Ring video doesn’t show up in the Control4 app and isn’t recorded to my Luma NVR like the DS2 can be, but not an issue for me as I have 2 other cameras covering the area that  go to the NVR. 

The cost advantage to the Ring Elite coupled with better video quality was the decider for me. Also I have Alexa devices throughout the house (don’t want to invest in C4 Touchscreens) and it is nice to answer and view the Ring through an Echo Show. 

26 minutes ago, anon2828 said:

I was also concerned with the Soviet era multi-unit housing looking DS2 that people would not understand where the button was to push versus the more traditional (and LED lit) button on the Ring Elite. 

Unless you want a keypad for something, you ought to be comparing the DS MINI, not the full DS2. You can certainly have a preference either way of course.

And for the record, the DS series buttons are back-lit as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.