C4 Forums | Control4

Volume control and Lighting scenes

SMcLean

Hi Steve, You can make a Keypad button raise the volume by having it Emit Volume UP IR Codes and Volume Down IR Codes on the Amplifier.

What I would like to try is something with pushing and holding. I know it's probably possible because the Keypads allow you two options, on Push and on Release. I just haven't figured out the logic to perform that function.

Dan

In programming, select the button you want to use to increase the volume and select Press. On the right, select the device (receiver?) then in the Sound section, select Volume, Start, Up and when you press the button the volume will ramp up as long as you press. Then go back and select Release and on the right under Sound select volume, then Stop and when you release the button the volume will stop ramping up. Use the same logic for the button that will be the volume down.

bwells is correct. I am using the ramp up while pressed and stop when released method to control my office with a 6 button keypad and it works great. 1 button for volume up ramping, 1 for down, and a 3rd button shuts off the audio as well as send an all off lighting scene for the office. Jeff

You can also make one button be up an down if you use v variable and toggle the function on the varriables state.

Just toggle the variable on each release. There is a problem with delay Rf that can be a problem.

• 1 month later...

I just tried using the technique described above to have a 3 button control the volume in a room that has a speaker point. When I pull in the top key of the 3 Button in the Programming panel, I clicked on the speaker point and found that it says "the aren't any commands for the selected item". Does this mean that we can't build a 3 button volume control for the speaker point like you do for the MC/HTC?

hgrace, The MC does have volume controls from the line levels. Just ensure that the appropriate MC analog audio output is the first volume control for the room.

Does the HTC have volume control over the audio output too?

AS2, I mostly use HTCs and adjust volume using the HTC especially when I connect one of its outputs to an old stereo system that the customer doesn't want to get rid of. So what he gets are all the front end sources and controls of control4 and drives it through his existing amp and speakers that are always powered on.

Fellow dealers, I recognize many of each of your contributions on this and other forums and respect and solicite your help. I've not been able to build an up/down/mute volume using a 3 button kp and a speaker point. I've tried playing with room volume variables to increase/decrease volume thinking that maybe playing with the room end point variables, but that didn't work at all. When I looked at the programming options for the Speaker point there doesn't seem to be anything to work with. Do any of you have any ideas on how to get a 3B KP volume control on Speaker Point?

tkx..mfjv4

AS2, go to the connections panel and make the room's AUDIO endpoint and AUDIO VOLUME endpoint one of the two audio output terminals on the HTC. I've been using that quite regularly and successfully the last 4 months.

I noticed you're in NYC. I'm in Westchester. Perhaps when time allows we could hook up for some discussion on the C4 stuff..

.. marcel

anytime mfjv, we're just south of you in the village.

here is an application I'd like to use this for:

I have an HTC with external MP3 drive. In INPUT one, I'd like to use my Apple Airport Express's AirTunes. My aplifier does not have any volume knobs, just on/off. Now, if prgram it right, C4 will control the volume of both the MP3 media harddrive and the INPUT 1 source too? That's amazing, and absolutely useful in about five jobs we have right now!

AS2

AS2, sorry for the delay.. I was at a customers' yesterday..

Your setup is just about what I do.. I don't use MC's because of my resistance to having the slow CD reader and the limited Hard Drive. I exclusively use a sweet DLink DSM G600 Network File Server (Linux based inside). I can put ANY SIZE hard drive I want in it - the other enclosures have 200GB limits. This NFS gets a static IP from me (you can use DHCP but I prefer predictability). Then all the users PCs simply rip to the common NFS drive into a particular directory. From there any PC, iPOD and C4 can access the music without any prerequisites of leaving some PCs on all the time.

I plug various things into input 1 (and only input) like iPODs, tuners, other music sources.. and simply play through the HTC around the house. The cool thing is that the HTC is small and can be placed next to legacy TVs and cheapie 5.1 surround systems and provide On-Screen was well as hand off audio to the amp/TV as well as take in audio from the TV to for example, play the TV audio around the house (makes it like a radio).

As long as the room's audio and video volume endpoints are that HTC output jack (i.e. One of the wierdly marked RCA phono pairs on the rear), youll be able to control the volume.

I'll give you a call if/when I get down your way.. got a # send to marcel@livingwelltechnology.com

OK mfjv4, here is a volume ramping script that I whipped up. I don't have access to equipment to test it, but I am using concepts that I regularly get students to run through during training - so I have confidence in it.

The areas within programming to look at are:

1) Press and release events on Button 1 on 3-button keypad

2) Press and release events on Button 3 on 3-button keypad

3) Scripts for variables "ramp_volume_up" and "ramp_volume_down"

I don't want to get a mute button programmed - way too difficult and time consuming based on my current understanding. It would be much easier if we can issue programming commands such as "var_1 = var_2". At the moment we are limited to "var_1 = some constant value".

I have also taken the liberty of connecting a dummy device to the analog input on the HTC, and taken care of the room end-points. The HTC will now control the volume for this input device. Please note that this will induce a lag on the analog input device. It is the standard delay of around 2secs. It does this because it is buffering the input in readiness to stream it to other points on the network.

In addition, the MC also has a weird limitation based on this. It has 3 analog inputs. However, only one of those inputs can stream digital audio at a time. For example, if you are streaming to a speaker point from analog input 2 on the MC, and someone wants to listen to analog input 3, then the stream for analog input will get cut off.

I see only room and room 2. I see the logic attached to the variable. Have you tested it. I found to get a similar script to work, I had to use a incriment of +/- 3 and a delay of 250 ms. I attached to logic to the putton press and release though. I think volume ramping needs to be an internal function.

Steve

Have I tested it?

OK mfjv4, here is a volume ramping script that I whipped up. I don't have access to equipment to test it, but I am using concepts that I regularly get students to run through during training - so I have confidence in it.

The answer is no. The times as you mentioned are incorrect, but I posted it to get things started.

In most cases putting the logic on the keypad will have no effect on programming. Whenever you have a script that will run for a long time, move it off to a variable. This is because a script will not be re-executed until it is done. For example, if you put a 1 minute delay in the script for a keypad press, then Control4 will not register any more keypad presses. This can be nasty in certain cases. I move a lot of programming off to variables because it also allows me to trigger the code from many different locations, and I ensure that I always receive input events from devices.

I am puzzled why they keypad doesn't appear. I downloaded the file again, and it is listed there in the XML file structure. Are you using Composer v1.2.4.48?

Shamir, Sorry for the delay.. i've been tending to customers...

thank you for posting your code. I'll try it out wednesday when I'm done with my current job.

I'll let you know what happened... marcel

Archived