C4 Forums | Control4

HC200 with built-in balun for video/audio

dinosaur

The HC200 is designed to be small and thin so that it can fit behind an HDTV. It already has video out and audio out. It would be a great thing if it had an integrated balun so that cat5 could carry audio/video to it and use the outputs.

As it stands now (if I understand correctly) the video outs carry the navigator screen but you still need to get your video signals over to the TV (say you're using a video matrix switch) and that would require a balun to convert the cat5 to component video for the video content. You end up using two sets of TV video inputs (one for the matrix signal and another for the HC200 Navigator).

It would be cleaner to have the balun built-in to the HC200 and use only one TV component input.

Good idea. I know that the SoC (the "brain") used in the 200 is not geared for this application, based on what I've read. C4 has shown a cocept device that will be a video endpoint, it remains to be seen what all you could do with it (whether it has Navigator built in or not).

Also, they would have to make a proprietary balun just for this purpose. Putting it just in the HC200 won't do any good because most manufacturers have different ways/orders of utilizing the CAT cable pairs to distribute the video signal.

Archived