C4 Forums | Control4

Audio: Triad vs Sonos

Chris C

Hi,

Getting ready to select Control4 for a new home build.  I've been a big Sonos fan for years and have several of their AMP's and speakers.  I understand the Sonos integration with C4 is not as good as using the Triad hardware.  Am I making a mistake by wanting to use my Sonos with C4 or should I make the switch with this new install and home?

Thanks,

Chris

Hey Chris, Welcome to the forums.

It really depends on how much your invested in the Control4 system. For myself, espcially with the release of OS3 I am a huge C4 guy and wouldn't want to use any other app. C4 is the bee's knee's and I know I will still be using C4 for many, many years to come.

If you are going to go the Sonos route, chances are its just best to use two seperate apps, You can use C4 for all your automation and Sonos for the music, it definitely won't be as userfriendly or intuitive but thats up to you.

In my opinion the C4 audio experience is better than Sonos. The new controllers and amps and high resolution audio sound absolutely superb, you can do announcements and so much more. (Doorbell announcement is crucial for me) Even the C4 app is better in my opinion. At this point in my opinion the only leg up Sonos has on control4 is the variety of music services. Right now Control4 has the ones I want most - Sirius, Spotify, and TuneIn which is all I will ever use. But the C4 streaming services library is getting better and better everyday. Worse case scenario you have to airplay or chromecast the audio to the system which is still intuitive and easy to do with C4.

I used to have a Sonos Connect feeding into my matrix amp, but I have since sold it and moved to native C4 services and couldn't be happier.

If you plan on using C4 for many years to come, just get the C4 gear. You won't regret it. The Sonos stuff sells really quickly on the 2nd hand market too so its easy to recoop some of your investment

We have C4 and stayed with SONOS - Nothing beats Sonos and Alexa at the moment. 

If you are concerned about Announcements from C4 these are played via you touchscreen (We Have 4). 

The 2 app does not come into for us - Alexa sorts that.

4 zones of Sonos .  

You can programme in C4 from your favourites and playlist - We use these for wake up and Bed Time. 

3 hours ago, Dunamivora said:

I wouldn't even give Sonos a thought. The single app to browse music and the better quality with the Triad Ones and decent speakers are worth it.

So the mark up it good on Triad Speakers 

Sonos and Alexa everytime - Sonos is the best

Actually Control4 audio comes out less expensive per zone, once you get into larger system sizes.  Here is a great explanation (although dated - now there are more native music services than he mentions)

And of course you can always add a Sonos Connect to the Triad audio matrix, so you'll still have the Sonos option in case you really need something which Sonos provides.

I had Sonos - I wanted better integration/announcements and a 1 app solution so I moved to C4.  It really depends on how heavily you use the features of sonos - if you have 5-6 channels on pandora and never look to do anything new, that is fine - keep sonos, create some favorite channels in control4 and its done.  But if you are always searching and creating new channels or like to channel surf on Sirius XM or use spotify, etc, its either a 2 app solution (Sonos and C4) or a 1 app solution (c4).  I was using a mix of Sonos 1 and 5 radios in some rooms and in ceiling speakers powered by C4 amps/matrix in other room.  I just ran more speaker wire to the rooms that had a Play sitting on the shelf, ditched the sonos connect in the matrix and just use native c4 services now.  I actually prefer less hardware/clutter too on shelves and working about power cords, etc and just having speakers in the ceiling.  A sonos connect per each one would be expensive, fast.

Yes dealers make some money on Triad, there is no doubt.  Want a DIY big box store solution with what I hear is a good driver (no experience) - Denon Heos. out of scope here as you already seem to have Sonos hardware.

Think you are all missing the point. 

Echo dot in room ~ no need for any app - just say play Bob Dylan and it plays in that room. 

No need to say play in kitchen etc.

this is the future not using a app to pick the song or station.

cost wise Sonos using play 3 or 5 

flexibility Sonos  

Gary please don't assume that we are all so dumb that we don't get that capability!!  To each his own...you can also do that with Triad audio by adding a $29 Dot or $350 Sonos connect as an input into the matrix.

Many of my customers:

a- don't want play 3s and 5s and whatever else cluttering up their countertops when they have built-in speakers

or 

b- are paranoid that Amazon is listening to everything they are saying and would prefer not to have Alexas everywhere in their home.

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Think you are all missing the point. 

Nah, you're missing the point that that is one option, and there are other to choose from.

I dropped alexa after a month. Just don't care for it. Nothing wrong with it - just don't WANT to chat with another woman in my house.

I don't want to SAY what I want to play, because I WANT to browse and see what's there.

I'll gladly take the much better sound I have than what Sonos can provide

That doesn't mean you don't point out a completely fair alternative - but this is one of those things that depend a lot on personal preference. Just because it's your ideal setup, doesn't mean it's for everyone - indeed it's not even an option for me personally.

One question, many answers, again these are tips not a bible or must do; C4 way better and cheaper for people: 1- Prefers Built In Speakers than stand-alones, 2- Have many Audio Zones, if  u have Sonos already then continue using is with caveats as it’s not as smooth as C4.

C4 streaming now have Dezzer, Pandora, Spotify, Tidal, Sirius, Amazon, iHeart, Radio, TuneIn, Google (via cast), huge selection already, what else is out there?

5 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

OK 

I stand down. 

Don’t have to stand down.  You had a viable option

my wife and I aren’t enjoying Alexa.  Too many commands.  Too restrictive of vocabulary.  We just automate lights with sensors.  For music a keypad can rotate our 5 favorites and the interface lets us surf for more.   The in ceiling speakers de clutter the rooms too which has big wife acceptance.  

Different strokes for different folks. 

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the knowledge/opinions. I'm going to move to the C4 music and sell my Sonos equipment.  If I put a pencil to it the cost becomes much less and gives my family a more consistent experience.

I don't like any of voice listening systems (Alexa) so that didn't play a part in my decision.

Thanks again!

Chris

One decision I'm struggling with is to pre-wire my kids rooms for speakers or just use Sonos?  I was considering wiring their rooms and then using the C4 wireless music bridge for their personal music.  Thoughts?  Do most wire their kids rooms or just mainly the public areas of the house?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

18 minutes ago, Chris C said:

One decision I'm struggling with is to pre-wire my kids rooms for speakers or just use Sonos?  I was considering wiring their rooms and then using the C4 wireless music bridge for their personal music.  Thoughts?  Do most wire their kids rooms or just mainly the public areas of the house?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

wire anything and everythign you can possibly afford. You have no idea what you may want 5 years from now. shoot i dont know what i want next week sometimes. with control4 the controllers can use airplay and DLNA so the kids and their friends can play whatever they want with the right tools in place. I personally as slowly moving away from sonos when i can. I love their products and their features, but they continue to make bad decisions which make it hard to sell / work with. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 4:26 PM, chopedogg88 said:

Actually Control4 audio comes out less expensive per zone, once you get into larger system sizes.  Here is a great explanation (although dated - now there are more native music services than he mentions)

And of course you can always add a Sonos Connect to the Triad audio matrix, so you'll still have the Sonos option in case you really need something which Sonos provides.

Always share this vid with clients that are on the fence.. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.