C4 Forums | Control4

What Home Automation Controller/Gateway Devices is everyone using?

Every Year I continue to validate whether it make sense to continue to stick with Control4 as my main Home Automation Controller/Gateway. I look through my deployment, I see that I have a plethora of other Gateway Devices to augment my Control4 installation like Phillips Hue Gateway, Samsung Smart Things, Amazon and IFTTT. The value add for Control4 today is that it is not dependent on the Internet to operate and it support legacy device that doesn't have an Open API or IP support. At this point, I still need Control4 in my installation.

What gateway devices are you using in your deployment?

If you didn't have Control4, would your Home Automation be easier, complex or in between?

I personally have Philips Hue as well as Control4. Philips Hue is nice, but limited as far as what it can do by itself.

I started following a lot of DIY forums since I only use and know Control4. It was surprising how complicated and limited DIY is right now.

If I did not have Control4, I probably would not even think about having my home automated outside of controlling my Philips Hue lights and using Sonos as a standalone audio system for my music. (I use Triad right now).

Interesting topic, my experience: if you don’t have Control4 you’re simply going to go for a total nightmare, HomeSeer, OpenHAB? Good luck as u will need tons of hacks to have things talk to each others not to mention the amount of breaks you will face because some one forgot to update a driver or abandon it totally ...

For me, I keep integrating more to C4 not the other way around, so I don’t use Hue, I favored Xiaomi to it, Didn’t find a need for smart thing, I use Amazon locally with Epic driver, IFTTT was so slow so I used it in very specific trail based things ...

Yeah - I pretty much just use Control4. I do have Google Voice integration with IFTTT, but it's rarely used. For music, we most often airplay from our mobile devices to the shairbridge driver...maybe you would consider that Apple Music a separate "Gateway Device"?

How are you guys doing Geofencing without a different hub?  Maybe I missed something but I still need IFTTT, SmartThings, and Chowmain's IFTTT Maker driver for that...the old driver never worked right and finally quit pretty much completely.

9 minutes ago, Amr said:

I use IFTTT Chowmain for geofencing but will replace all that by integrating HomeKit to C4 it’s much neater and Geofencing is perfect with Apple based house

Ok, I assume you mean the unofficial integration, since nothing is official yet right?

1 hour ago, Amr said:

Of course, and it works, official integration does not exist and it will only be available for OS3.0

Is it coming?

I personally don't see a use for Geofencing. I have way too many people coming and going from my house all the time for geofencing to be at all useful.

9 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

I personally don't see a use for Geofencing. I have way too many people coming and going from my house all the time for geofencing to be at all useful.

It works with 5 people at my house, I have some pretty involved programming to determine when nobody is home and I can't say it is 100% correct yet.

1 hour ago, Amr said:

Of course, and it works, official integration does not exist and it will only be available for OS3.0

Well my experience with Control4 is once an official driver appears the unofficial ones go to pot.  I've done without the unofficial one this long, I'll wait.

7 hours ago, turls said:

It works with 5 people at my house, I have some pretty involved programming to determine when nobody is home and I can't say it is 100% correct yet.

Yeah, and we’ve got 6 plus a seeming endless number of guests....plus I don’t know that I see a ton of value in it anyways. 

Just got Josh HomeKit driver up and running, built the whole setup on docker on my Synology NAS and couldn’t be more happier, Geofencing testing phase ... Syno community really built beautiful apps and support is incredible ...

On 6/25/2019 at 10:20 PM, AceOfSpades said:

It sounds like Control4 is here to stay in the short term.

Control4 is either "here to stay" or its future is "short term." After reading through my stockholder materials, I'd say if the execs get their big cash payouts, it very well could be a short future.

SnapAV acquisition should be getting the dealers' attention -- It sure got mine as a customer/end user. I always assumed I'd put C4 in my new home -- not so much anymore. I'll be doing a lot more homework than I expected. Right now, my immediate decision is whether or not to sell it while it is worth something or hold on to it in hopes that C4 remains a viable company supporting their dealers and customers.

I do plan to move it and see how OS3 works and how future Apple integration plays out. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.

3 hours ago, Elvis said:

Control4 is either "here to stay" or its future is "short term." After reading through my stockholder materials, I'd say if the execs get their big cash payouts, it very well could be a short future.

SnapAV acquisition should be getting the dealers' attention -- It sure got mine as a customer/end user. I always assumed I'd put C4 in my new home -- not so much anymore. I'll be doing a lot more homework than I expected. Right now, my immediate decision is whether or not to sell it while it is worth something or hold on to it in hopes that C4 remains a viable company supporting their dealers and customers.

I do plan to move it and see how OS3 works and how future Apple integration plays out. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.

What did you read that has you overly concerned? Snap A/V is a VERY successful business, with a lot of distribution. I think they’ll still continue to run Control4 as a “sister company”, but I’m not basing that off of anything other than what seems to make sense in my head. I haven’t done any real reading on it. 

We have Phillip hue ~ lighting 

Alex (dot in 4 rooms) - Voice control mainly music 

Sonos in the 4 rooms with Alexa dots - Total voice control no need for any apps 

Control4 to us is a App which brings together our ~ 

Qmotion Shades 

Texecom Alarm 

CCTV Cameras 

Video equipment 

Phillip Hue Lights 

Music By Sonos 

Voice control ~ if you can remember the correct phase 

Yale Lock 

if we moved, the system is designed to move with us (no matrix/switches/in wall screens). 

I have a HC800 and may need to update ~waiting to see if they are new controls coming 

I only use Control4 as the UI and control layer of my home. The only Control4 equipment I have is an EA-1 and 4 remotes, 1 for each video zone and it works very well. I have the following "subsystems" that you could get Control4 solutions for:

Lutron Smart Bridge Pro for lighting

Russound MCA-C5 for whole home audio

Sonos for music distribution

Global Cache for serial and ir control

I can’t imagine using my c4 system without homekit.

i use the homebridge driver and a raspberry pi.  I have a bunch of drivers installed on it and control pretty much everything with it and have all my automations setup in my Apple home app.  

On 6/29/2019 at 3:03 PM, ILoveC4 said:

What did you read that has you overly concerned?

Nothing scientific. Just seems to me like the very large sum$ for execs means they are leaving. Just my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Elvis said:

Do you have this integrated into C4? If so, how do you like it?

yes i do and it works perfectly. never had an issue. I do not have that many lighting loads though, less than 20. You can put up to 75 devices on a bridge.

4 minutes ago, therockhr said:

yes i do and it works perfectly.

Thank you. I got a deal on the pro version of the bridge so I'm anxious to see how it works with homekit. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.