C4 Forums | Control4

WiFi smart plugs

Wondering if I should investigate into other WiFi Smart Plugs such as ones from TP-Link?  I have a client wanted an easier way to control their WiFi based indoor cameras, rather than unplugging them all the time, he'd like to control them remotely or via Control4.  I was going to suggest C4's own plug in adapter which he has some and love them, but he was asking for an alternative more cost effective solution.

Should I try the TP-Link Smart Plugs?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a few TPLink HS110 and the HS300 with the @alanchow driver. Work great, reliable and fast.

Someone also has a Wemo driver that can do plugs, but I forget who wrote it. I tried to reach out to another company that does an in-wall power monitoring outlet, but they went radio silent after a few emails.

I have several TP-Link plugs and bulbs in my project and have been very happy with them. The Chowmain driver is great and I have most of my TP-Link products integrated into C4. 

TP-Link also now has an in-wall WiFi outlet that is supported by the C4 driver if they would like to keep the installation as clean as possible. 

based on the comments TP-Link may be good.  I use 2 Wemo's and one falls offline frequently though its in my living room where I've streamed/screened content from my phone to my TV with zero latency issues.  My Access Point delivers over 200 Mpbs in that room yet the Wemo has had a few hiccups.

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Moved from wemo to tp link

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

right now I am down to 1 Wemo just for an Xmas tree to turn it on/off based on if we are home, going to bed, etc.  Maybe in Nov I'll remember to get a TP Link and give it a shot.

Okay guys, I bought one to give it a try.  I got the app on the phone connected to HS105, I can control it there.  Downloaded Chowmain Smart Plug driver and have the cloud connected.  However, when I select auto discover, nothing happens.

I tried set to no auto discover, then I manually entered MAC and IP address, however, I have no idea what the PIN is?

3 minutes ago, htjunkie said:

Got it working, it's pretty cool.  For Kasa powerbar, can I control USB charging too to disconnect charging, or only limited to 120V outlets?

The usb is always on and non controlalble.

We have quite a few products that suit made by several manufacturers
My current favourite though is the TP-Link KP200 as its in-wall rather than a plug.
4af55b8231a2ebe1f2bdb6de860405091c6e550d_kp200-a_01_300x400.png
https://www.kasasmart.com/us/products/smart-plugs/kasa-smart-wifi-power-outlet-kp200

Hey Alan, Does the Kasa driver control the plugs directly or does it go through a cloud server?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:28 PM, eggzlot said:

based on the comments TP-Link may be good.  I use 2 Wemo's and one falls offline frequently though its in my living room where I've streamed/screened content from my phone to my TV with zero latency issues.  My Access Point delivers over 200 Mpbs in that room yet the Wemo has had a few hiccups.

The reason the WEMO falls off periodically is that you need to use the WEMO app and log in and do the firmware update - doing that immediately resolves all issues with WEMO.

I have 12 WEMO plugs working in my house and they are CHEAP (get them from Costco on sale) and work a LOT better than the Control4 options.  The control 4 option would fail by my fireplace regularly - after more than ten warranty failures I simply quit and went with WEMO. Way SMALLER, and works a treat better. (My opinion)

• 1 year later...
On 6/28/2019 at 4:27 AM, alanchow said:

We have quite a few products that suit made by several manufacturers

My current favourite though is the TP-Link KP200 as its in-wall rather than a plug.

https://www.kasasmart.com/us/products/smart-plugs/kasa-smart-wifi-power-outlet-kp200

Hi @alanchow

Is Orvibo WiWo s20 C4 driver compatible with B25UK driver in the link given below ???

Because B25UK is what is available in Sri Lanka.

https://www.orvibo.com/en/product/productList_index.html#6

Thank you...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.