C4 Forums | Control4

System:  EA3 with 4K 8-channel Matrix (C4-LU862D) with baluns (C4-LU1E).   I have a TV that is 75 - 100ft from matrix.  Over the past year I have had issues with getting "snow" when turning on a source (no other issues with four other TVs).  The failure does not happen consistently.   It can be "corrected" by power cycling the matrix (takes about 1 minute to resolve) -- powering down the balun has no effect (fully disconnecting POE and HDMI).  Dealer has been troubleshooting for nearly a year -- replacing balun, re-terminating RJ45 connections, trying different zones and HDMI ports, and most recently pulling CAT6 cable from matrix to balun (it had previously been daisy-chained with two separate CAT5e segments.  No joy.  Because it is not consistent it is difficult for dealer to troubleshoot.  The balun is attached to back of TV and the CAT6 cable does run close to the TV power cable which leads me to think it could be a high voltage / EMI interference issue.  

Besides the CAT6 running close to the power cable are there other considerations I should be addressing?  Based on limited options for running cables, I was going to try to shield the CAT6 cable further.  Picture of snow attached.  Thanks for any help. 

IMG_20190111_122741.jpg

To be clear the 100 ft run is the cat6 cable (matrix >> balun).  The HDMI cable running from the balun to the TV input is only 1ft.  See picture of setup coming from the 4K matrix.  Could that still represent a HDMI syncing issue?

setup.jpg

Both units re-generate the HDMI signal, which is what you want.  The sync device has built-in EDID choices you can choose from.  Some splitters have this too, but are more expensive.

In my experience, I just use a plain Jane 1x2 splitter and call it a day.

Interestingly, after letting my dealer know that I added the splitter, they just informed me that "the spiltter you added could mess up the Leaf switch. We will get someone out there with an EDID reader"

More to come...

It's rich indeed.  Shouldn't be charged.  They are going to install an 18Gbps Up/Down Scaler, EDID Manager, Audio De-Embedder & Image Enhancer from AV Pro Edge as recommend by Control4.  Seems to be just a more expensive version of what I already installed.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.