C4 Forums | Control4

Variable for current music streaming channel?

livitup

I have a keypad in our bathroom that has two buttons for music (his and hers).  About half the time my wife uses it, she's already listening to music in the master bedroom when she heads into the bathroom.  When she hits her music button it starts a second stream of the same station, and it's always out of sync.  So I want to check if the master bedroom is already playing the same station, and if so, join the session instead of starting a new stream.

It's not good enough to just check if the room is on, or even if the room is on and using TuneIn as a source.  I need "If the bedroom is playing B101.5 from TuneIn, then join the session, otherwise play B101.5 from TuneIn."

I can figure out how to check if the bedroom is on, and if the bedroom is using TuneIn.  I can join the bathroom to the existing session. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to tell what station is being played.  The stations show up in the "Broadcast Audio" selector when I'm starting a stream/channel via programming.  

Am I missing something completely obvious?

I have the room control driver in both rooms, but I can't see how that helps.  I'm looking for a conditional/variable that doesn't seem to exist.  Room Control exposes a "current media selected" variable, but that doesn't change if the music is turned on by something not coming from room control, for example a wake up.  

I need to know which TuneIn or Radio.com station is currently playing, and I don't see that exposed anywhere.

If you've got an example of how I could do this with room control, I'm all ears. :)

Right, but I only want to do that if the correct TuneIn channel is already playing in the first room.

"If Master Bedroom is playing TuneIn -> '99.5WPGC' then join session, else Select the Channel "99.5WPGC'"

I can find out if the Master Bedroom is playing TuneIn, but not what station/channel within TuneIn. 

I had a similar issue to what you hav (but with Tidal).  The only way I got round it was to use multiple Tidal drivers (and used one for certain use cases only). For instance, in your case, you could have Tune In - wife which only plays 101.5. It would hem be easy to get the bathroom programming right and your bigger challenge is choosing which Tune In to use from other points of entry...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.