C4 Forums | Control4

75+ dimmers in a house!

AS2

hey all,

has anyone had experience with 75+ dimmers in a system? we've got a proposal for something like this and I'd like to know if anyone has done it, and if there are any issues to look out for?

thanks,

as2

Ha! That's awesome. I just wanted to know if it works well. I know every once in a while you get a dimmer/switch that doesn't identify, did you find many like that in the lot of 120?

It must take some time to identify all those switches and get a handle on the system design and programming. How many days onsite did you schedule to program all that?

as2

I have 58 dimmers and 19 switches so far and had two that needed to be replaced. One switch wouldn't identify on the network and one dimmer stopped responding to Zigbee commands after about a month.

I also have three LCD keypads and one is going back. The contrast on the screen is set at max and it's still too dim to read well. The other two are tolerable but not great. (And I find myself wanting to treat them like the touch screens we've had for a while instead of pushing the buttons above and below the screen. I would recommend against mixing LCD keypads and MTS in an installation. The LCD keypads are just anticlimactic after you use the MTS.)

There were a few that were bad and had to be replaced, but this was last summer during the first batch of switches/dimmers. We identify as we go...to try and nip problems in the bud as we go and it took a few days. This was in a retrofit, so there was a lot of testing wires and such that had nothing to do with C4. As for programming, creating lighting scenes take no time at all and I was on the phone with one of the owners setting night time scenes in real time connected remotely.

The system get slow over 50 devices. I find a lag for scenes sent off of the six button keypads. Works fine, but is definitely slow. I've heard that the processor on the HTC is faster than the Media controller, so I will start using HTCs as the main controller in the future. I've got a 100+ dimmer job coming up soon. Will let you know.

Processor, to my knowledge, is NOT faster at all - same processor. It had something to do with the memory... and I believe it was only the CF memory, which is 64mb larger on the HTC (128mb vs 64mb on the MC).

• 3 weeks later...

We do alot of lighting control, and have for over 20 yesas, the biggest issue with C4 here is the scene programming/control/feedback. Right now there is a void and alot of programming is needed (create variable for each LED, each setting ,etc. ) to provide consistand LED logic. I think changes are coming soon but unyill they do we will keep it unde 30 or so, and use HomeWorks on the bigger projects.

Archived