C4 Forums | Control4

BEST OF Control4 Automations

I've finally lived with my Control4 (OS3) system long enough that am I ready to put into place more automations.

I'd like some suggestions from the group as to BEST OF automations (For example, "Good morning" - turns on lights, sets TV to CNN, turns off alarm, etc.).

I have video, audio matrix, lights, blinds, security cameras currently on Control4.

What are your best ideas?

1 hour ago, anon2828 said:

For those also curious about Wake and Sleep agents:

https://www.control4.com/help/c4/user/userguide/#topics/comfort/wake-sleep.htm%3FTocPath%3DClimate%20and%20comfort|_____4

Don't really understand why they would only be available on a T3 Touchscreen - really makes zero sense - why not on the app (iPhone, iPad, Android) or the OSD???

Although I won't give a timeline or details, this was not included due to time constraints and should be addressed in an upcoming release.

RyanE

I recently added one of the TP-Link energy monitoring plugs (HS110) to my washing machine. When the cycle finishes, I programmed an announcement telling us the load needs changed and, because we are really good at ignoring things, I have a C4 push notification sent to our phones 15 minutes later to remind us (probably need to send notifications about 3 more times though). 

I use the Chowmain TP-Link and Advanced Announcements drivers for this. 

I recently added one of the TP-Link energy monitoring plugs (HS110) to my washing machine. When the cycle finishes, I programmed an announcement telling us the load needs changed and, because we are really good at ignoring things, I have a C4 push notification sent to our phones 15 minutes later to remind us (probably need to send notifications about 3 more times though). 
LOVE IT

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Some of my favorite custom programming things are

The light in my ensuite preset level changes based on the time of day. So if its 6:30 AM for example and the button is pressed it will go to 10%, but if its 6:30 PM and the button is pressed it will go to 100%. This saves my eyes every day and night and I love it.

I have a party mode I can activate that disables all the Control4 lighting and keypads so they are no longer functional. For example I had a 3 yr old at my house over the weekend and he thought all the buttons looked super cool and started pressing every button he could. Soon as I seen that I put on party mode and put an end to it. Or when my friends think its awesome to crank the volume way way up using the up/down buttons on the keypad. I see them abuse it and boom put on party mode and don't have to worry about things getting too loud anymore.

Don't underestimate overhead garage door control. It has saved my butt soo many times now. Its a must have. I have mine automatically close is left open for longer than 30 mins among other things.

Also just simple things like getting a push notification when the door is locked or unlocked. Always nice to know when someone is coming/going.

These are just a few things.

56 minutes ago, BraydonH said:

Some of my favorite custom programming things are the light in my ensuite preset level changes based on the time of day. So if its 6:30 AM for example and the button is pressed it will go to 10%, but if its 6:30 PM and the button is pressed it will go to 100%. This saves my eyes every day and night and I love it.

This is a great thread. I'd love to see examples/screenshots of the programming for these. Maybe picking up a few pointers with examples :)

image.thumb.png.2c2bfaddb094b977aae8aad4858b0df7.png

The lights are easy. Just set a schedule to change preset level. I also have another scheduled event at sunrise to change the preset level to 80%. That's it. Works 100% of the time, every time.

Disable Keypad control for party mode is a bit more complicated but looks like this

image.thumb.png.2175d3aba6aa5929254c2d5d6dabea26.png

Create a variable called Party Mode. I have a Custom UI button that when pressed it activates party mode and goes red. If you tap it again it goes back to neutral (grey) and disables party mode. Then for each button on each keypad you need to have a line "If party is true" > "Stop". "If party is false" > "Perform Action X"

Hope this makes sense.

The party mode is great... but will only work where you have programming as opposed to bindings.  I would really love a simple way to disable keypads including bound connections (or better yet, all but the top button) when I want.  Someone suggested a separate zigbee network and dropping the power to this... not that clean but something I am looking in to...

Yes you will have to program the lighting in instead of binding it. It still works the same but not quite as elegant as binding all the lighting. Back in OS 2 early days programming it was just the way it was.

Dont try rigging your zigbee server, just change from binding to programming and you will be all good.

4 hours ago, rea said:

ok, i just set this up!  It looks like i did it right.  Have a UI button that shows green when the laundry is running.  I will find out if my programming is all right in like 30 minutes when the laundry is done :) 

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

ok, i just set this up!  It looks like i did it right.  Have a UI button that shows green when the laundry is running.  I will find out if my programming is all right in like 30 minutes when the laundry is done :) 

Awesome...glad to hear you liked the idea!

8 hours ago, BraydonH said:

The light in my ensuite preset level changes based on the time of day. So if its 6:30 AM for example and the button is pressed it will go to 10%, but if its 6:30 PM and the button is pressed it will go to 100%. This saves my eyes every day and night and I love it.

LOVE this idea.  Going to try it with a modification - Night Light Mode: If it is after 1:00AM until 7:00AM make the button press set lights in bathroom to only go to 15%.

I really appreciate all of the interest and ideas here - this was exactly what I was looking for when I started the thread.  Great stuff - appreciated!

8 hours ago, rea said:

very cool idea Riley!  I want to set it up at my house as well.  would HS105 work or does it not have energy monitoring?

33 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

very cool idea Riley!  I want to set it up at my house as well.  would HS105 work or does it not have energy monitoring?

No energy monitoring :( Looks like Amazon is going to sell out of the HS110s soon ;) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.