C4 Forums | Control4

BEST OF Control4 Automations

very cool idea Riley!  I want to set it up at my house as well.  would HS105 work or does it not have energy monitoring?
Has to be energy monitoring. You actually leave the tp link on 24/7 and use the energy monitoring variables

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

very cool idea Riley!  I want to set it up at my house as well.  would HS105 work or does it not have energy monitoring?

Thanks, Ari! Definitely need energy monitoring for this. This was why I had you switch that plug to my laundry room!

53 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

I get that you need energy monitoring, the question was really does the hs105 do energy monitoring. Amazon shows it as the newer model of the hs110 that's why I asked.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ari, sorry for for the lack of clarity there. I can confirm with you that I have HS105s and HS110s and only the HS110s do the energy monitoring.  

3 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

I get that you need energy monitoring, the question was really does the hs105 do energy monitoring. Amazon shows it as the newer model of the hs110 that's why I asked.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Or you get a HS300 and do your washer, dryer and 4 other devices in your laundry (maybe put your iron on a timer so that if it detects energy for over x minutes it auto turns off the outlet?).

1 hour ago, alanchow said:

We actually created the following icons for this reason.

https://www.chowmainsoft.com/experience-button-suite

white+goods.png?format=1500w

I am using aeon labs energy meters and a vera hub integrated with those as well as sending notifications when they go off based on the geofence only to the people that are home

Lots of Alexa and Google home commands which sound like the Google ones will be dead end of August 

Zwave sensor in the mailbox

Sonos play3s in the kids rooms to activate silent mode when playing because they are sleeping which disables the doorbell chime and family room default volume

Experience buttons to show feedback and timer feedback when running

Door and motion sensors to kick on lights

Experience buttons to enable/disable media scenes

Chromecast audios plugged into the audio matrix with programming to turn the zone on/off with signal

Custom button on sr260 that saves snapshot in the room, launches the nest app for my doorbell then when I press cancel it restores the snapshot

Geofences 

18 hours ago, rea said:

I recently added one of the TP-Link energy monitoring plugs (HS110) to my washing machine. When the cycle finishes, I programmed an announcement telling us the load needs changed and, because we are really good at ignoring things, I have a C4 push notification sent to our phones 15 minutes later to remind us (probably need to send notifications about 3 more times though). 

I use the Chowmain TP-Link and Advanced Announcements drivers for this. 

I have done something similar using the power sensing feature on a C4 Wireless Outlet Switch on the dryer.  When the dryer finishes an announcement is played throughout the house.

19 hours ago, rea said:

I recently added one of the TP-Link energy monitoring plugs (HS110) to my washing machine. When the cycle finishes, I programmed an announcement telling us the load needs changed and, because we are really good at ignoring things, I have a C4 push notification sent to our phones 15 minutes later to remind us (probably need to send notifications about 3 more times though). 

We had the same issue - we resolved it with Alexa - "Alexa set a washer timer for 23 minutes." "Alexa set a dryer timer for 35 minutes."  The ability to name your timers is a wonderful thing as you no longer need a reminder why you set the timer.

We had the same issue - we resolved it with Alexa - "Alexa set a washer timer for 23 minutes." "Alexa set a dryer timer for 35 minutes."  The ability to name your timers is a wonderful thing as you no longer need a reminder why you set the timer.
But that is something else you have to do...

On 7/5/2019 at 2:30 PM, rea said:

Ok - I took the bait and ordered a HS110 to try this!  What advantages does the Chowman Advanced Announcements driver give you over the normal Announcements agent?  Just the text-to-speech?

What does your programming look like for the announcement?  Do you just look for the VARIABLE reported by the HS110 to fall below a certain number?

3 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

Ok - I took the bait and ordered a HS110 to try this!  What advantages does the Chowman Advanced Announcements driver give you over the normal Announcements agent?  Just the text-to-speech?

--Yeah, the text to speech is basically what you're getting as the driver still actually uses the Announcements agent to send the announcement. EDIT: I should add that it does allow you to insert things like current time, temp, date, weather, etc. A couple of other options out there in the announcements driver world, too. 

What does your programming look like for the announcement?  Do you just look for the VARIABLE reported by the HS110 to fall below a certain number?

--When you get the HS110 added to your system, you will have to input minimum and max watts in the Properties of the driver for the device. You'll have to test your washer out to see if draws any idle power and then add a proper value in. Once you've got that, the driver has programming based off when the HS110 reaches minimum wattage and you just call your announcement off of that event.  @alanchow has a really nice example of how to program off of the HS110 in the driver documentation too. 

4 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

and maybe do a push notification too?  I do push notifications so I get it even when I am out of the house...

Oh yeah, definitely agree and I do the same. @LollerAgent, I just setup a timer for this that starts with the HS110 event (minimum power reached) and sends the notification when the timer expires. 

30 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

thanks Ryan, I somehow missed that

Ari, looks like max load on the HS110 is 15A (https://www.kasasmart.com/us/products/smart-plugs/kasa-smart-plug-energy-monitoring-hs110). 

I'm not sure any of the WiFi controlled plugs (from any any brand) will handle anything over 15A. I have seen this Aeotec Zwave switch (https://aeotec.com/outdoor-z-wave-switch/) designed for appliances that will handle up to 40A. Looks much more involved than the simple WiFi plugs, but you could at least pair with a Zwave hub and control/monitor remotely still. 

Not sure if this will help but maybe a 240 to 110 relay and monitor the relay? https://www.amazon.com/Elk-Contactor-Lockable-Structured-Enclosure/dp/B004HMZOUS 
I plan to use this relay to allow C4 to control infared heaters w/out paying for a 2k unit they want. 
How do you plan to use the relay? With dryers you want to monitor the wattage

On 7/10/2019 at 11:50 AM, msgreenf said:

How do you plan to use the relay? With dryers you want to monitor the wattage

Yeah was trying to find a cheaper solution. Not sure if you can monitor the 110v for voltage changes to indicate on or off?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.