C4 Forums | Control4

BEST OF Control4 Automations

Does the HS110 plug safe enough for constant (or close to constant) 15A draw appliance? For example a baseboard heater, would like to integrate that with temperature sensor to trigger on/off, however, a typical baseboard heater is 15A and it doesn't recommend not plugging directly into an outlet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:48 AM, ILoveControl said:

What driver you using for this?

Sorry - I don't think I am using a driver - I think that I just used alexas native features and told it to look for new capabilities and it found my entire house..You then need to figure out the command to control things but as long as you were logical in assigning names in your house it works a treat.

We:

turn on an off televisions

turn on and off room groups

turn on and off lights

turn on and off music in entire house or selected rooms

My wife (from bed) "Alexa thru off master bed lights" and they all go off and the alarm is set for external protection and all doors are confirmed locked.

1 hour ago, TexasBill said:

Sorry - I don't think I am using a driver - I think that I just used alexas native features and told it to look for new capabilities and it found my entire house..You then need to figure out the command to control things but as long as you were logical in assigning names in your house it works a treat.

We:

turn on an off televisions

turn on and off room groups

turn on and off lights

turn on and off music in entire house or selected rooms

My wife (from bed) "Alexa thru off master bed lights" and they all go off and the alarm is set for external protection and all doors are confirmed locked.

I agree with the benefit of added functionality with Alexa, but at least in 2.10.6, I've found it a bit quirky.

For example, I have a Scene defined that turns off all the lights downstairs, with delays built in to a couple of lights so that I can see as I work my way upstairs.  And since the last light isn't necessarily on at that time, I added Programming so that when that Scene is Invoked, there is a Conditional such that if that light is currently off, it will turn on.  It will then turn off on the delayed basis I have programmed into the Scene.

This works perfectly when I execute the scene from my Phone, the Control4 Tablet, etc., but if I activate it by Alexa, the Scene itself executes properly, but it seems that added Programmed step never kicks in, as that last light doesn't get turned on if it was off.

Perhaps this is a quirk fixed in 3.0, or as I'm new to Control4, perhaps I have an error in logic or programming to make this happen.  But as I said, it works right when executed from within Control4's user interface, but not when activated with the Alexa command.

Any thoughts appreciated.

On 7/8/2019 at 2:46 PM, rea said:

Oh yeah, definitely agree and I do the same. @LollerAgent, I just setup a timer for this that starts with the HS110 event (minimum power reached) and sends the notification when the timer expires. 

Is that assuming the same wash cycle is set every time?  My washer goes is all over the place when on from 3W to 400W when spinning.  What programming would be put in place to send me notification after it goes back to 0.  After the wattage goes above a certain value start a timer and then check at the end of that timer and if it is not 0 then start it again?  Keep the time short so you get close to when it shuts off?  How would this programming look if this would work?

On 7/12/2019 at 11:58 PM, htjunkie said:

Does the HS110 plug safe enough for constant (or close to constant) 15A draw appliance? For example a baseboard heater, would like to integrate that with temperature sensor to trigger on/off, however, a typical baseboard heater is 15A and it doesn't recommend not plugging directly into an outlet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Max load on the HS110 is 13amps /2.99kw according to their spec sheet

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/smart-plug/hs110/#specifications

1 hour ago, Control-IT said:

Is that assuming the same wash cycle is set every time?  My washer goes is all over the place when on from 3W to 400W when spinning.  What programming would be put in place to send me notification after it goes back to 0.  After the wattage goes above a certain value start a timer and then check at the end of that timer and if it is not 0 then start it again?  Keep the time short so you get close to when it shuts off?  How would this programming look if this would work?

It shouldn't matter. You need to see what the machine is reading when idle (or off) and then use that as your minimum. If your machine cycles as low as 3W, you may just have to use 1W (I think using 0 will negate the action in programming). And no need for a timer, just program off your plug reaching the minimum value (in programming) and have your actions go off of that. It will only trigger after going above that value and coming back to it. 

1 hour ago, alanchow said:

Max load on the HS110 is 13amps /2.99kw according to their spec sheet

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/smart-plug/hs110/#specifications

@htjunkie it depends where you're based. The HS110 in the US is rated at 15A. Not sure if it is made to hold up to that constantly though...may want to contact TP-Link about that. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.