Jump to content
  • 0
RussellB

OS3 incompatible hardware

Question

Hi all,

I have an HC800 as the main controller, two HC250s, two T2 touchpads and an Infinity touchpad.

The HC800 controls the house while the HC250s control the Master Bedroom and Living Room/Dining Room.

What is the comparable hardware to upgrade to so I can move to OS3?  I know for the touchpads it would be the T3 versions.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe <-- thanks in advance

Russell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Aside from the touch screens needing to be replaced by T3s, the HC250s need to be replaced with EA3s depending on how they are being used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 0

They are only controlling devices around watching tv/fire tv/roku/wii in each room.  that's all.   They also provide the on-screen navigator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

If you don't use the analog audio out of the HC250, then you could probably directly replace them with an EA1 to keep the on-screen and device control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Do you really need the on screen? If you only need ir you can replace them w a z2io

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Dunamivora said:

Aside from the touch screens needing to be replaced by T3s, the HC250s need to be replaced with EA3s depending on how they are being used.

Spot the dealer a EA3 ~ give me a smile ~Mitch is spot or a EA1 if you like the GUI 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

And from what I have seen OS3 OSD is lacking.

No Cameras without favoriting them. No security, No Thermostat, and (I could be wrong) but I believe no lighting. Its pretty crippled at this point. You can get your watch and listen stuff on the OSD but thats about it. Someone feel free to chime in here if I am wrong but compared to OS2 the OSD is lacking big time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 minutes ago, BraydonH said:

And from what I have seen OS3 OSD is lacking.

No Cameras without favoriting them. No security, No Thermostat, and (I could be wrong) but I believe no lighting. Its pretty crippled at this point. You can get your watch and listen stuff on the OSD but thats about it. Someone feel free to chime in here if I am wrong but compared to OS2 the OSD is lacking big time.

Quite right - but I am pretty sure that is a temporary situation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Yea I have an HC800 so I just dropped the OSD and I dont think i'll be looking back. I dont even hook it up for 70% of my customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I have had zero osd for a while. Don't miss it. I really only have 1 room that could have osd and that would just confuse things

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The original owner of the house never setup the OSD... but I like it.  But I'm willing to let it go to set the house up with OS3.  Is OS3 worth it?  How much support will Control4 give to 2.10.X?  I remember the old old days of Windows when an upgrade would require you to upgrade your hardware.  With Windows XP I had four screens running off my PC but Vista required the display cards to be of the same chipset and made me update my display adapters.... hated that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, RussellB said:

The original owner of the house never setup the OSD... but I like it.  But I'm willing to let it go to set the house up with OS3.  Is OS3 worth it?  How much support will Control4 give to 2.10.X?  I remember the old old days of Windows when an upgrade would require you to upgrade your hardware.  With Windows XP I had four screens running off my PC but Vista required the display cards to be of the same chipset and made me update my display adapters.... hated that.

In my view, OS3 is well worth it. There are a number of other threads on his.

Lots of people will stay on OS2 for many years, so I am sure that C4 will continue to support it, but don’t expect much in the way of new features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
19 hours ago, msgreenf said:

I have had zero osd for a while. Don't miss it. I really only have 1 room that could have osd and that would just confuse things

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
 

The OSD comes up in the main theater... and I really like it!

0014_49977318_large.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I also have an old iPad 2 using the Control4 app in Kiosk mode AND an SR-250 which most people use in that room.

I also have an Alexa in the room and I've programmed things like "Alexa, turn on Theater Netflix".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I feel like the advent of FireTV, Roku, AppleTV, and "smart" TVs has made people more used to OSD. I for one like that as sometimes people get confused with easy remote buttons (My mother...sigh). Sometimes it's easier to just have it in front of them on the screen resembling something familiar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I agree.  It makes it more foolproof. I use an Amazonf Fire TV with a VideoStorm IRUSB to control it with no lag. I wrote additional mini drivers for it so anyone can bring up the OSD, select watch and click the Netflix button to go right to it. Visually it is very cool.  My Watxh menu has 30 icons which include 25 channels then the rest of the viewing equipment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

So what do you do with Control4 hardware that is no longer supported?  Buy a boat and use them as an anchor? 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
So what do you do with Control4 hardware that is no longer supported?  Buy a boat and use them as an anchor?
Ebay

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

That's kind of different isn't it? Old phones can still be used.  If I want to run < OS3 I'd keep the HC250's I have around, but if not... S.S. Minnow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
29 minutes ago, RussellB said:

That's kind of different isn't it? Old phones can still be used.  If I want to run < OS3 I'd keep the HC250's I have around, but if not... S.S. Minnow?

no it's not different at all.  iPhone 7 won't run iOS 13.  Exact same thing.  I can continue to use iPhone 7 with old iOS and no new features.  You can continue to use Control4 Home OS2 on HC-250 with no new features.

Exactly the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I get your point.  Like I have an iPad 2 that i only use as a Control4 tablet because the iOS stopped updating at 9.3.5 I believe.

I type corrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, RussellB said:

I get your point.  Like I have an iPad 2 that i only use as a Control4 tablet because the iOS stopped updating at 9.3.5 I believe.

I type corrected.

right, exact same idea...Welcome to technology!  Old stuff, unfortunately can only go so far into the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...