C4 Forums | Control4

OS3 incompatible hardware

RussellB

Question

Hi all,

I have an HC800 as the main controller, two HC250s, two T2 touchpads and an Infinity touchpad.

The HC800 controls the house while the HC250s control the Master Bedroom and Living Room/Dining Room.

What is the comparable hardware to upgrade to so I can move to OS3?  I know for the touchpads it would be the T3 versions.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe <-- thanks in advance

Russell

1 hour ago, Dunamivora said:

Aside from the touch screens needing to be replaced by T3s, the HC250s need to be replaced with EA3s depending on how they are being used.

Spot the dealer a EA3 ~ give me a smile ~Mitch is spot or a EA1 if you like the GUI 

And from what I have seen OS3 OSD is lacking.

No Cameras without favoriting them. No security, No Thermostat, and (I could be wrong) but I believe no lighting. Its pretty crippled at this point. You can get your watch and listen stuff on the OSD but thats about it. Someone feel free to chime in here if I am wrong but compared to OS2 the OSD is lacking big time.

6 minutes ago, BraydonH said:

And from what I have seen OS3 OSD is lacking.

No Cameras without favoriting them. No security, No Thermostat, and (I could be wrong) but I believe no lighting. Its pretty crippled at this point. You can get your watch and listen stuff on the OSD but thats about it. Someone feel free to chime in here if I am wrong but compared to OS2 the OSD is lacking big time.

Quite right - but I am pretty sure that is a temporary situation...

The original owner of the house never setup the OSD... but I like it.  But I'm willing to let it go to set the house up with OS3.  Is OS3 worth it?  How much support will Control4 give to 2.10.X?  I remember the old old days of Windows when an upgrade would require you to upgrade your hardware.  With Windows XP I had four screens running off my PC but Vista required the display cards to be of the same chipset and made me update my display adapters.... hated that.

4 hours ago, RussellB said:

The original owner of the house never setup the OSD... but I like it.  But I'm willing to let it go to set the house up with OS3.  Is OS3 worth it?  How much support will Control4 give to 2.10.X?  I remember the old old days of Windows when an upgrade would require you to upgrade your hardware.  With Windows XP I had four screens running off my PC but Vista required the display cards to be of the same chipset and made me update my display adapters.... hated that.

In my view, OS3 is well worth it. There are a number of other threads on his.

Lots of people will stay on OS2 for many years, so I am sure that C4 will continue to support it, but don’t expect much in the way of new features.

19 hours ago, msgreenf said:

I have had zero osd for a while. Don't miss it. I really only have 1 room that could have osd and that would just confuse things

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The OSD comes up in the main theater... and I really like it!

0014_49977318_large.jpg

I agree.  It makes it more foolproof. I use an Amazonf Fire TV with a VideoStorm IRUSB to control it with no lag. I wrote additional mini drivers for it so anyone can bring up the OSD, select watch and click the Netflix button to go right to it. Visually it is very cool.  My Watxh menu has 30 icons which include 25 channels then the rest of the viewing equipment

29 minutes ago, RussellB said:

That's kind of different isn't it? Old phones can still be used.  If I want to run < OS3 I'd keep the HC250's I have around, but if not... S.S. Minnow?

no it's not different at all.  iPhone 7 won't run iOS 13.  Exact same thing.  I can continue to use iPhone 7 with old iOS and no new features.  You can continue to use Control4 Home OS2 on HC-250 with no new features.

Exactly the same

1 minute ago, RussellB said:

I get your point.  Like I have an iPad 2 that i only use as a Control4 tablet because the iOS stopped updating at 9.3.5 I believe.

I type corrected.

right, exact same idea...Welcome to technology!  Old stuff, unfortunately can only go so far into the future.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.