C4 Forums | Control4

Media Player Mini Apps

Sorry for the basic question - I haven’t yet got my C4 system installed but I want to buy equipment that is compatible (and I would prefer to use IP drivers for everything).

I need to buy a media player (Roku, etc) and I have read the discussions about which is best. However, I don’t think I understand the mini apps. I want to dispense with multiple remotes (TV, media player, Kaleidescape) and use the C4 remote for everything. In order to do this, do I need a mini app for the online services I use (iPlayer, Netflix, prime, itvhub, etc)? For example, I see there is an iPlayer driver on the C4 database. Or is the mini app just to put a shortcut on the C4 OSD and not related to actual app control so it is not worth getting too hung up about it because the device and streaming services on it still work with the C4 remote?

I would like a media player with wired ethernet but Roku Ultra is not available in the U.K. so I could go for Apple TV or NowTV but I understand neither of these drivers have mini apps and I don’t know whether this is a big point or not! If I need mini apps, I could buy a Roku Express which is available in the UK but that is WiFi only.

I will also get a C4 compatible TV soon (probably Samsung Frame) - hopefully I can use the built-in streaming apps on this with the C4 remote? I guess this doesn’t have a mini apps so the same question applies!

Thank you and sorry for the ignorant question!

Mini Apps are short cuts that play certain service quickly out of your Roku/Amazon Fire/Android Box. For example, Netflix app when u click it it will launch Netflix from your Roku and u can automate this task to open up you TV switch to Roku and Launch Netflix, all in one click.

Netflix Appears as a source in your UI, along with other services you can directly launch from your Watch Menu.

What u need can be done with C4 Remote, Mini apps is something different.

1 hour ago, bdo21 said:

I would, if they sold it in the U.K.! And you can’t buy the American version if you want UK apps like BBC iPlayer which won’t install on the American Roku.

Thanks everyone!

You can create Mini App for BBC iPlayer and almost anything else on the Roku, guide to do that is everywhere and your dealer can do it in no time, really no sweat work!

You can create Mini App for BBC iPlayer and almost anything else on the Roku, guide to do that is everywhere and your dealer can do it in no time, really no sweat work!
Your not listening to the post. Mini drivers aren't the problem. Roku limits what apps can be installed on American sold hardware

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Your not listening to the post. Mini drivers aren't the problem. Roku limits what apps can be installed on American sold hardware

Then your suggestion its the best integration works only for US customers and the best thing for non-US customer is an Android box!

Then your suggestion its the best integration works only for US customers and the best thing for non-US customer is an Android box!
There are a lot more apps then bbc... But clearly not a limitation I was aware of

On 7/6/2019 at 6:01 AM, bdo21 said:

I would like a media player with wired ethernet but Roku Ultra is not available in the U.K. so I could go for Apple TV or NowTV

1st ask yourself which is more important in your house, having wired ethernet (vs wireless) or mini apps. If you have weak signals or stream 4k you may want to stay with wired Ethernet.

If  1 touch access to Netflix, vs a few clicks to choose the app, and there's no problem with wireless, then Roku is an option.

I have a number of AppleTVs....don't really miss the mini apps at all (though it would be nice) and use both wired and wireless with them. And I use my C4 remotes withe the appleTV.

ps.... I have the Samsung - but don't like to use it for streaming. For shits and giggles I played around with the "smart" features. There was a noticeable difference with using the TV's internal apps vs AppleTV. (speed and quality). I use my Samsung only for the picture...it's a dumb tube for me. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.