C4 Forums | Control4

Wyze Smart Devices

I have had a Wyze camera (the long one with pan and tilt) since they came out. Recently they did some custom firmware for it to support RSTP which is great cause  you can then integrate it into something like BlueIris and then into control4.

Now I see they creating some really cool sensors too like door contacts, motion sensors etc - https://www.wyze.com/ 

@alanchow and others any plans for integration into control4 for these?

That is awesome. I wonder if this will be extended to the devices they releasing now. They have contact sensors, motion sensors, bulbs etc and their sensors are cheap and tiny. The worring part is that they have a plug in hub at the back of a Wyze camera that becomes the hub for the devices just like the philips hue. In my opinion this is the worst design as it limits intergration

1 hour ago, ILoveControl said:

That is awesome. I wonder if this will be extended to the devices they releasing now. They have contact sensors, motion sensors, bulbs etc and their sensors are cheap and tiny. The worring part is that they have a plug in hub at the back of a Wyze camera that becomes the hub for the devices just like the philips hue. In my opinion this is the worst design as it limits intergration

I obviously can't speak for Alan, but I'd personally be surprised if he didn't support those new products. Let's let him chime in.

Sorry the driver we developed for the camera requires that you replace the existing firmware with a custom firmware.  We can only do as much as the custom firmware does.

Yes and thats freeken awesome bought the driver already.

Wyze seems to have done something to block the custom firmware in their latest firmware they released. This most probably to keep their firmware relevant and their service running.

Like most things I guess its a waiting game now until the custom firmware guys figure out how to get around it.

Just a heads up with guys and gals that have the cameras, thinking of using this driver don’t do updates on the camera as suggested by wyze.

Once you on the custom firmware then you all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, LollerAgent said:

@alanchow Can you comment on this?  I was looking at buying a couple of Wyze cam's for the kids room, but will look elsewhere if your driver no longer works.

If I could offer some advise here as I have been quite busy w.r.t this specifically. So let me give you my situation:

I bought a Wyze Pan Cam when they first came out. I had updated the firmware as and when it came out. Then had the same question as you and was really interested. I checked out:

https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks 

Which is the site to download the firmware that unlocks quite a bit of features on the camera. The issue is and it has not yet been solved by the developers of this custom firmware, the Wyze developers changed something on the bootloader of the firmware to prevent custom firmware. The custom dev have not yet figured this out and the project was last updated 7 days ago. The update was small the majority of the files have only been updated 8 - 9 months ago.

All is not lost, I sacrificed a Wyze camera to do some testing (I am OCD and want to know how things work). There are some steps on reverting the firmware to the last known version that works. What does this involve?

1. If you know what you doing and have a linux preferably Ubuntu distro, you can install uboot-firmware-tools, there is a decompiled version of the last known firmware that you can compile to flash to the camera. This allows the custom firmware to then be loaded. There is really good documentation on this.
  2. If you want an already compiled version I have compiled one already.
  3. You can then try the traditional way of flashing the firmware (put the SD card in with the relevant files, hold setup and power on) once the camera starts doing its "turning" as it does normally when you turn it on, the firmware is flashed. Remove the SD card and power off and back on) if you get a blue light you good to go. 
    1. The success rate on this method varies.
  4. The best way and the way I did it, you open the camera up (two screws) you find the serial open pins on the board (good docs and pics on the site above) solder pin headers to it, then use a USB to Serial (with pins Ground, TX and RX) to the pins. Turn on the camera and use a program like putty to connect to the camera. You will see the entire boot sequence. Eventually you reach a terminal and  you can logon to the camera. When you see this again good documentation to flash the old firmware onto the camera and then repeat to flash the custom firmware on the camera.
    1. This works 90% of the time

On the site (above) it states clearly that the custom firmware does not work  with firmware XX.XX.XX and above (you need to check the exact number on the site). 

The positive part, I bought 4 additional cameras from Amazon about two weeks ago. It was a chance I took as you never know what version of firmware is going to come on the cameras (you can check this with the Wyze app - be sure when asked to upgrade the firmware say NO).

All the cameras I bought had the old firmware. I did open all of them solder the pins and watch the bootloader while I flashed them to make sure nothing went funky. Also the serial interface is your best interface should things go wrong as it talks to the firmware chip directly.

I know this is a long post but I really did my research on this and went through a lot of learning to eventually make this work. 

To answer your question:

1. Does @alanchow driver work - ABSOLUTELY the caveat, it will only work on the custom firmware, so you have to check and follow the steps above. 
  2. This is not the fault of @alanchow driver more a move (to me sneaky) of Wyze changing the bootloader to prevent custom firmware.
  3. @alanchow I would add something like this to your driver page just to make sure customers know there is a risk....

I am more than happy to help (just can help with the soldering etc due to location) if you do choose to still go this way.

1. Just an additional note: there seems to be even more issues for some reason with the normal Wyze camera, the little square one, non pan version. They have no clue what the issue is yet.
  2. You can check the chinese sites like Alibaba etc as the exact same camera (same chips models etc) are available even cheaper.

27 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

Thanks - that was super helpful!  I'm going to order a Wyze Pan Cam from Amazon now and see if it ships with the older firmware (fingers crossed).  Hopefully I'll be good to go, but I will let you know if I need some help!  Thanks again!

Absolute pleasure. Let us know here if you do get the earlier firmware. Like I said I ordered 4 and all 4 where earlier firmware. This was two weeks ago.

So - I managed to get everything working just fine, so, thanks for the tips!

Unfortunately, the PTZ control in the Chowmain driver is a bit lacking at the moment.  There really isn't a viable way to pan/tilt/zoom without using preset's (defining X/Y attributes for each preset position).  My better half was already used to using the simple PTZ controls in the Wyze app and doesn't find the control through Control4 very usable.  Because of this, we may just stick to using the camera as a standalone device outside of C4 - until the PTZ controls through C4 improve.

4 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

So - I managed to get everything working just fine, so, thanks for the tips!

Unfortunately, the PTZ control in the Chowmain driver is a bit lacking at the moment.  There really isn't a viable way to pan/tilt/zoom without using preset's (defining X/Y attributes for each preset position).  My better half was already used to using the simple PTZ controls in the Wyze app and doesn't find the control through Control4 very usable.  Because of this, we may just stick to using the camera as a standalone device outside of C4 - until the PTZ controls through C4 improve.

Can’t you do both? Why should you have to choose? I can see all my cameras in their native app or in C4.

34 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Can’t you do both? Why should you have to choose? I can see all my cameras in their native app or in C4.

Because for this particular camera, you have to load custom firmware (which lives on a SD card) for C4 support.  When the new firmware is active, the Wyze app doesn't work (it effectively turns it into a Dafang camera).  When the original or old firmware is active, the C4 integration doesn't work.

• 8 months later...

Hi , what is the latest on this driver ? I have Wyze PTZ camera on 4.10.5.111 . Will this work with Control4 ? Can I use the native app after I loaded the custom firmware? Is there any new development for having both Wyze app and Control4 working together ? Is the PTZ working any better now on Control4 ? Thank you ! 

On 4/22/2020 at 1:54 PM, Ltisza said:

Hi , what is the latest on this driver ? I have Wyze PTZ camera on 4.10.5.111 . Will this work with Control4 ? Can I use the native app after I loaded the custom firmware? Is there any new development for having both Wyze app and Control4 working together ? Is the PTZ working any better now on Control4 ? Thank you ! 

Not sure - I had heard the PTZ controls got a bit better, but I got rid of my Wyze cams and replaced them with Amcrest indoor models.  No custom firmware to deal with..  they just work.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Don Cohen said:

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but this seems relevant. It seems that Wyze is now providing their own firmware to enable RTSP, as of Sept. 28, 2021:

Wyze Cam RTSP

Will this still require, or even be compatible, with the Chowmain Driver @alanchow ?

My suggestion to you is to do the research, does the driver work and well YES but but but you have to know how to flash third part firmware onto the camera and the V2 and V3 of the cams (2020/2021) have problems with this custom firmware. So just do the research though just a heads up

4 minutes ago, ILoveControl said:

My suggestion to you is to do the research, does the driver work and well YES but but but you have to know how to flash third part firmware onto the camera and the V2 and V3 of the cams (2020/2021) have problems with this custom firmware. So just do the research though just a heads up

Thanks for the reply. The reason I posted is that it seems this new Firmware is provided directly by Wyze, along with instructions from Wyze on how it gets installed. So I understand what needs to be done, along with the caveats provided by Wyze.

The question is whether or not this new Firmware, provided by Wyze, is different from the one linked to by Chowmain, and if it is different, whether or not the Chowmain driver would still work.

12 hours ago, Don Cohen said:

Thanks for the reply. The reason I posted is that it seems this new Firmware is provided directly by Wyze, along with instructions from Wyze on how it gets installed. So I understand what needs to be done, along with the caveats provided by Wyze.

The question is whether or not this new Firmware, provided by Wyze, is different from the one linked to by Chowmain, and if it is different, whether or not the Chowmain driver would still work.

This is what I meant, so for clarity:

The Firmware is Dfang it is NOT from Wyze it's a project on GitHub and developed by the community. The Dfang firmware is needed for the driver to work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.