C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa Control 4 Skill will Not discover Devices

On 7/13/2019 at 3:18 AM, chopedogg88 said:

The new version requires deleting the old version and installing from scratch (sorry should have mentioned that earlier!).  Also - yes - no more send discovery - just discover from the Alexa app or via voice command, and that's it!

@chopedogg88 - installing from scratch will be quite a hassle as I have lots of triggers... Is the new driver worth it? Other than no “send discovery” button, what other improvements are there? Also, are you considering writing some sort of conversion wizard (I.e. should I wait?) 

• 1 year later...

Struggling to get the Epic voice commands discovered on Alexa. Been on it pretty much all day and still no luck. Other devices are now being discovered after having done pretty much everything from resetting control4 skill, removing echo device, rebooting controller, rebooting echo, etc. Finally discovering control4 devices again but not the Epic commands. I am based in London, UK. Anyone any clues? I am on the newest version 200. Does the voice scene driver need to be removed first? Have not deleted that yet in C4.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:06 AM, flikfoto said:

Did that twice already with no luck. Also rebooted the Controller as recommended by C4 on their troubleshooting guide. 

Just in case, your 4sight licenses, is it ok?

I had that issue.... Here is stuff I did

1. I disconnected and reconnected account 20 times - didn't work

2. I deleted all from Alexa account, disconnected it and reconnected it few times - didn't work

3. I took some random controller, did some small project and connected my Alex to that account - worked but it was useless ( not my home device )

4. called C4 and Amazon tech support (got a lot of advices and stuff to check that kept me busy and let tech support to rid off me)- didn't work (check your network, check your router, check your account, check your ..... I forgot what else, but I checked a lot!!!!)

5. C4 tech support (5th tech I talked ) asked me to do factory reset to my controller!!!! - worked 

After all I backed up project and did factory reset to my controller. after I uploaded it back and enabled skills I got stuff working. 

I have OS 2.10.6 running.

5 hours ago, Benoît van Osch said:

Just had a response from Epic that the current version has issues with 3.1.3.

I've been trying to get the new driver working for the last three months, nothing is discovered and no response from epic from three emails to support and two messages on here.

Still waiting for help...

16 hours ago, zaphod said:

@msgreenf Are you sure you can use a 1st gen Echo Dot or do you need the full size Echo?  I bought a full size Echo for a pretty good price on eBay a few months back.  The Echo debuted in 2014 whereas the Dot wasn't released until 2016.

From my email exchange with Epic last night I understood that 1st Gen Echo's can be used with version 180, and that this will also give you the multi-echo account functionality. This functionality appears not to be part of version 200 anymore which was disappointing news.

7 hours ago, brucecampbell said:

I've been trying to get the new driver working for the last three months, nothing is discovered and no response from epic from three emails to support and two messages on here.

Still waiting for help...

They responded to my email yesterday saying there was a known issue with 3.1.3 and were going to try and fix it within the next couple of days. They were supposed to start working on it yesterday. After wasting about a day trying to figure out what was wrong, from reconfiguring all 4 Echo's in my house to individual accounts, deleting all skills, devices, etc., I told them that it would have been helpful if they made customers aware of this 3.1.3 issue at the time of purchase, or on their website. The response I had was 'You're welcome for the prompt response on a Sunday! We will refund you for your purchase....sorry we didn't notify you in advance'. So indeed not very professional at all. They also revealed that latest version 200 did not have the multi-account functionality which is also not in their documentation, nor website information. Means I will have to reconfigure all Echo's back to one account, and get my old voice commands set up again....on a Sunday!! Anyway, I hope they will manage to get a fix soon and that they will also include the multi-account functionality as this was really the main reason my purchase.          

10 hours ago, brucecampbell said:

I just heard from Ari, they are hoping for a fix for V3.1.3 at the end of the week.

Fingers crossed!

Just noticed they have now taken the driver from their website so its great that they aren't putting other people in the same situation to try and get this working. I also hope they will fix the multi-echo account functionality as this is a truly great feature that really adds value compared to the native control4 voice scene driver.

Does anyone know if there are any alternatives to this driver? I wouldn't expect for Amazon but perhaps for Google...?   

10 hours ago, Benoît van Osch said:

Just noticed they have now taken the driver from their website so its great that they aren't putting other people in the same situation to try and get this working. I also hope they will fix the multi-echo account functionality as this is a truly great feature that really adds value compared to the native control4 voice scene driver.

Does anyone know if there are any alternatives to this driver? I wouldn't expect for Amazon but perhaps for Google...?   

I've been using the C4 option for Alexa a while now and using the Alexa Groups option helps a lot.
You no longer have to say the room as part of the command.

"Alexa turn the lights off" or "Alexa turn on Netflix" just works in the room I am in.

21 hours ago, brucecampbell said:

I've been using the C4 option for Alexa a while now and using the Alexa Groups option helps a lot.
You no longer have to say the room as part of the command.

"Alexa turn the lights off" or "Alexa turn on Netflix" just works in the room I am in.

That's interesting as I have been using the room groups within Alexa as well but many times Alexa would ask me things like 'I have multiple devices with TV, which one do you like?'. I therefore didn't think it worked well but happy to know if you have any suggestions.  

5 hours ago, Benoît van Osch said:

That's interesting as I have been using the room groups within Alexa as well but many times Alexa would ask me things like 'I have multiple devices with TV, which one do you like?'. I therefore didn't think it worked well but happy to know if you have any suggestions.  

I have the same issue. 

Hmm. I have the epic driver, am running 3.1.3 and have all Gen 2 dots. Everything is working great for me. I had an issue one time with the epic driver where echo wouldn’t discover , but all I had to do was unplug the Gen 2 dot and plug it back it. Hasn’t happened since. 

On 10/1/2020 at 6:32 AM, Benoît van Osch said:

I have not played around with this much - it just worked first time.
I think I saw a post here about using groups from @msgreenf a while back.

1. Create a group in the Alexa App.
     ie: 'Lounge' or 'Patio' ....
2. Add devices to the Group which belong in that room.
     Be sure to include the Alexa echo/dot in the Group too
3. Edit the voice control options for C4 devices on the control4 my-home website.
     ie: use the 'edit' option next to the device name to change 'Lounge Netflix' to 'Netflix'
     Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' at the top of the page when done.

19 hours ago, brucecampbell said:

I have not played around with this much - it just worked first time.
I think I saw a post here about using groups from @msgreenf a while back.

1. Create a group in the Alexa App.
     ie: 'Lounge' or 'Patio' ....
2. Add devices to the Group which belong in that room.
     Be sure to include the Alexa echo/dot in the Group too
3. Edit the voice control options for C4 devices on the control4 my-home website.
     ie: use the 'edit' option next to the device name to change 'Lounge Netflix' to 'Netflix'
     Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' at the top of the page when done.

Don't think I did the last part, would explain it. Thanks. 

9 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

Don't think I did the last part, would explain it. Thanks. 

Same here, thanks a lot for the explanation, I have been changing names in the Alexa app as well so if you can confirm there is nothing to be edited on the Alexa side of things and just within the C4 webpage then I will try again. Also at what point in this process are you doing the discover devices in Alexa? Is this once at the beginning, or multiple times in this process?

On 10/3/2020 at 8:09 PM, Benoît van Osch said:

Same here, thanks a lot for the explanation, I have been changing names in the Alexa app as well so if you can confirm there is nothing to be edited on the Alexa side of things and just within the C4 webpage then I will try again. Also at what point in this process are you doing the discover devices in Alexa? Is this once at the beginning, or multiple times in this process?

I don't actually recall my exact process, But I am guessing I just asked Alexa to discover new devices some time after completing task 3 - the edits on the C4 website.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.