C4 Forums | Control4

Advice on Door Bell/Station & Network Equipment

Time2Jet

Can anyone recommend a door station that if full featured and integrates nicely? I have a Nest Hello and don’t think I can do much with that. I am looking to do a picture in picture or the likes when it rings. Also a garage door solution? I am looking at myQ for that so far.

Lastly, I am having a local alarm system company install a system. I meet with them on Thursday. I have a cat in the house, so they won’t do motion detectors. (I know there are some out there that recognize the difference). I want to be able to utilize the door contacts for other routines. Any particular contacts I’d want them to use? It has to be wireless. The main board will integrate, I already made that a requirement and a C4 friend is going to be speaking with them before I commit.

Lastly, Some if you know I have a pretty lame network, so far as working nicely with C4 (Netgear Orbi). I want to get away from mesh and do WAPs behind each TV since I have spare Cat6 runs. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The door station with the best integration with Control4 is the DS2.

As far as what you want, it may not do all of it, nor do I believe there is one that will that also integrates well.

Best garage door integration is the Z2IO garage door kit. Anything else will be frustrating and junk.

Best APs right now are Ruckus, Pakedge, and Araknis.

I second the DS2 from C4

Get the DSC panel with it100 with serial connection to one of your controllers that are close to it has some of the best most reliable integration i have used.

If you can get your Access points on the ceiling the performance from a tv is largely hindered.

I just ordered from Titathink a tt526pw which is a 1080p water proof security camera to augment my other camera's around the house. The tt526pw is super small and supports RSTP and onvif. In my case I will integrate with C4 using Blue Iris as my NVR video storm matrix for the switching. And because I use the Nvidia Shield PIP with Netplay TV works great. In my house every TV has an Nvidia Shield running Netflix, HDHomerun, Amazon, kodi, etc... So Picture in Picture, and any Toast Pop-ups via Annex4 LG driver never interrupts what we're watching. And... Using Blue Iris for all of my camers; with zone triggers setup, if someone goes from the street to the driveway to the walkway, Blue Iris will send Control4 (Ryan's HTTP driver) a command which I then use to switch the camera of my choosing, in this case the door Camera, to any TV that is on. Cool thing about this is that you dont have to wait until someone rings the doorbell. Because of the blue iris trigger essentially you've been watching them walk up well before hand.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

The door station with the best integration with Control4 is the DS2.
As far as what you want, it may not do all of it, nor do I believe there is one that will that also integrates well.
Best garage door integration is the Z2IO garage door kit. Anything else will be frustrating and junk.
Best APs right now are Ruckus, Pakedge, and Araknis.

While I love the features of the DS2, I don’t have a real good way to mount it properly. I have a stone face on my entry and there’s not even much room with that, let alone cabling (beyond original LV cabling). So I guess I might be waiting for something to come out that will better integrate and add features.

As for the garage door, I’m interested in the myQ solution. I’ve had others say they’ve been successful, but if the Z2io is the way, then that’s what I’ll do.

AP’s - see below. I have to run some additional speaker cable in the attic, so I was going to drop a few T3 CAT’s. I can certainly run a few for on ceiling AP’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If going the MyQ route, I'd advise to just buy an extra wall controller/s.  The 3-button units will operate 3 doors.  If you have more doors than that (great for you!!) then you'll need more controllers.

Then, crack them open and solder a relay wire from the circuit board to the C4 controller.  This is the cheapest way of gaining control to MyQ motors, that is local control.  A lot of the motors do not have typical relay terminals on the actual motor (which is what you'd use a Z2IO for), they are proprietary bus terminals and will cause problems with the actual installed wall controllers..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.