C4 Forums | Control4

Creating Additional "Home Info" section for OS navigators

Jayaredoubleu

I would love to have a "Home Info" screen in the Navigator for me to be able to see stuff that pertains to the overall house, not just a particular room.

Here are a an example of how a "Home Info" screen could be structured:

• Tab/Button 1: "Energy"  
    • Current Power Consumption (This would require an energy monitoring system like eguage, but could also tap into the energy statistics of C4 lighting and PDUs)
    • Daily Power Consumption
    • Monthly Power Consumption
    • Current Water Usage
    • Daily Water Usage
    • Monthly Water Usage
    • Highest Power Consumers
    • Anticipated Monthly bill
  • Tab/Button: "Activity"
    • Scheduled events
    • Triggered events
    • Manual events
    • Alarms
  • Tab/Button: "Schedules"
    • View all existing schedules in the system (e.g. lights, irrigation, thermostats, etc.)
    • Create/modify existing schedules
  • Tab/Button: "Whats On?"
    • Devices
    • Rooms
    • Lighting
    • Appliances
    • Modes

This is just meant to be an idea for how to help improve the visibility of a fairly complex system utilizing a lot of devices.   I would assume a lot of these are fairly easy and don't rely on any hardware or anything new (except the energy monitoring). 

I would love to see if other people would like to have some similar type of feature!!!!

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 10:15 AM, Jayaredoubleu said:

I would love to have a "Home Info" screen in the Navigator for me to be able to see stuff that pertains to the overall house, not just a particular room.

Here are a an example of how a "Home Info" screen could be structured:

• Tab/Button 1: "Energy"  
    • Current Power Consumption (This would require an energy monitoring system like eguage, but could also tap into the energy statistics of C4 lighting and PDUs)
    • Daily Power Consumption
    • Monthly Power Consumption
    • Current Water Usage
    • Daily Water Usage
    • Monthly Water Usage
    • Highest Power Consumers
    • Anticipated Monthly bill
  • Tab/Button: "Activity"
    • Scheduled events
    • Triggered events
    • Manual events
    • Alarms
  • Tab/Button: "Schedules"
    • View all existing schedules in the system (e.g. lights, irrigation, thermostats, etc.)
    • Create/modify existing schedules
  • Tab/Button: "Whats On?"
    • Devices
    • Rooms
    • Lighting
    • Appliances
    • Modes

This is just meant to be an idea for how to help improve the visibility of a fairly complex system utilizing a lot of devices.   I would assume a lot of these are fairly easy and don't rely on any hardware or anything new (except the energy monitoring). 

I would love to see if other people would like to have some similar type of feature!!!!

you can do most of the this list in os 3.0 with a favorites room and experience buttons. the energy tab would be the most difficult one to get info into control4.

5 hours ago, Jayaredoubleu said:

I would disagree OS3.0 can do most of this.   In addition to missing Energy Info, It doesn't give me any activity info and it doesn't show me any of the schedules that exist int the system.    

what activity info are you missing? Do you have email notifications setup? push notifications? LED feedback? and the countless other options.

Schedules are a little more difficult but there is a plethora of experience buttons that i bet could cover what you are looking for.

As I stated in my original thread, it would be nice to see the events that have happened in the house.   Similar to the Chowmain driver, but with more capability. It would be nice to know:

• What events are scheduled for the day (e.g. sprinklers will turn on at 9am, kids wake up time set for 7am,  thermostat set to 75 degrees at 10am, exterior lights turn off at sunrise, etc.)
  • What events were triggered that day - this would be things that programming would turn on/off based off parameters (e.g. Ceiling fans turned on at 9:00 because it was over 80 degress outside, radiant floors turned on because it dropped below 40 degrees, etc.)
  • What events were manually activated that day (e.g. tv turned on, music played, sprinkler manually activated, doorbell pushed, etc.)
  • Collection of my alarms (e.g. front door lock jamed, battery low on remote, front door left open longer than 3 minutes

In short, I can't actually see what has happened (or is going to happen) in a given day with my system.   Yes, I do get push notifications sent to my phone, but its very difficult to go back and look at what happened based off those.   Plus, push notifications only tell me AFTER things happen, not before. 

3 hours ago, Jayaredoubleu said:

As I stated in my original thread, it would be nice to see the events that have happened in the house.   Similar to the Chowmain driver, but with more capability. It would be nice to know:

• What events are scheduled for the day (e.g. sprinklers will turn on at 9am, kids wake up time set for 7am,  thermostat set to 75 degrees at 10am, exterior lights turn off at sunrise, etc.)
  • What events were triggered that day - this would be things that programming would turn on/off based off parameters (e.g. Ceiling fans turned on at 9:00 because it was over 80 degress outside, radiant floors turned on because it dropped below 40 degrees, etc.)
  • What events were manually activated that day (e.g. tv turned on, music played, sprinkler manually activated, doorbell pushed, etc.)
  • Collection of my alarms (e.g. front door lock jamed, battery low on remote, front door left open longer than 3 minutes

In short, I can't actually see what has happened (or is going to happen) in a given day with my system.   Yes, I do get push notifications sent to my phone, but its very difficult to go back and look at what happened based off those.   Plus, push notifications only tell me AFTER things happen, not before. 

this could all be done in email notifications. 

Matt,

I think my interest and intent is being lost here.     I am aware that a lot of this stuff could be communicated in a "response" type form (e.g. push notification, announcement, message on T3, email, etc.).    My main goal is some sort of dashboard that I (or anyone else) can go to at their choosing to see what has happened (past) and what will happen (future) on my system.   

Here are some of the problems/limitations with only having "response" type notifications:

1. They are only reactive, explaining something right as it happens.   So, after the message clears - it is lost.  
  2. If they are linked to email or push notifications, then only certain people get awareness. 
  3. There is no ability to hide or ignore the notifications.   I don't want to be notified of every little thing - I just want the ability to look and see if something occurred or not.   
  4. This would only work for things you already know you want to be notified of.   Sometimes I don't know I want to be notified until I see something has happened that is strange or undesired. 
    1. Example 1 (review of past event): my blinds in the kitchen went up and down 20 times in the day.   Turns out my son pushed the up/down button 20 times. I would have NEVER thought to create a notification for that. 
    2. Example 2 (review of past event): My sprinkler system ran on Monday and Tuesday, but not Wednesday
    3. Example 3 (future event): When are my outside lights set to turn on tonight? (especially if they follow the sunset)
    4. Example 4 (future event): What day/time are my outside lights set to switch to Christmas colors? 
    5. Example 5 (review of past event):  My AC turned on/off 38 times today
  5. This would require a LOT of programming. 

If you don't see value in something like this - that's fine.   I am just saying "email notifications" is not the answer. 

• 1 month later...

You might want to take a look at our new NetPlay Cloud / SplashTiles driver.  

You can use this to redirect your C4 push notifications (or any event) to an online web "screen" that you can securely view on any device (anywhere).  

You can have up to 9 different data slots, and the screen can show you the most current data on each.

SplashTiles gives you a lot of other info too, such as weather, news, photos, cameras, stocks, etc.

And it is free.....

splash-tiles.com

NetPlay cloud driver at https://splash-tiles.com/help/reference.php

We do have video demos of SplashTiles itself and what it can do.  The Control4 integration is new, so we don't have videos yet.

In a nutshell, the C4 integration does:

1. Ability to create custom buttons (on your SplashTiles "screens") that perform any C4 action / macro / etc
  2. Ability to add a "C4 menu" tile which gives you a menu based C4 control (like your SR remote)
  3. Ability to push data back from C4 back to your SplashTiles screens (text or image data)

I have attached an example of #3, which I thought is relevant to what you are describing.  

The six tiles are different push data slots.  Whenever a triggered event in C4 (setup via programming in Composer) occurs, it will push to one of these tiles.  You can just pull up this screen quickly and review the latest pertinent info from your C4 system.  You still have to decide what you want to send and why of course.  SplashTiles is just giving you an easy way to format and view the latest data from any device.

pushdata_demo.png

1 hour ago, Jayaredoubleu said:

Can this screen be displayed within the C4 navigator? Also can you set up menu's and tabs? Can the splash tiles provide any logic, analysis or statistics, otherwise I have to do that in C4

Displayed within C4 navigator => SplashTiles screens are Https URLs.  Any device capable of displaying a https URL could display it.  Not sure if there is a way to do that different C4 navigator interfaces.  Dealers on this forum could answer that.

Menus and tabs =>  SplashTiles screens are completely configurable with a drag/drop interface.  You can build them any way you like.  You can also have as many as you need.  In our app, you can switch between screens using left/right finger swipe.  From other devices, you can add button links to other screens for quick navigation changes.

Logic & analysis =>  SplashTiles is a display oriented tool.  Logic & code would be performed elsewhere (C4, python code, etc ...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.