Jump to content
c4forums | The Control4 Community

DS2 Door station VERY buggy


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Matt Lowe said:

I would get a nice POE switch at the one of the two junctions. I am betting that will help. Can get a fan or two on the enclosure to help keep temps down.

 

Thank you for the advice. I will try it out. At the least, it will remove one of the junctions, and hopefully once they fix the Android app it will also improve some of the lag.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, looks like you guys were right. Connecting the doorstation with a patch wire durectly to the POE worked. LUCKILY, connecting the doorstation to the junction box at the end of the driveway worked

Just wanted to update you guys. I got my hands on an iPhone to test things out and it worked with no issues. It turns out there is likely 2 bugs in the Android version. They are working on it now! Jak

That’s good to know, glad you got it working.  As an FYI for those of you using the Intercom Anywhere app you can double-tap the call timer on iOS (or long-press on Android) to see advanced call stats

28 minutes ago, timelinex said:

Thank you for the advice. I will try it out. At the least, it will remove one of the junctions, and hopefully once they fix the Android app it will also improve some of the lag.

 

my android apps works well, at least better than the ring app did. But yea i think you are just maxing out what the cat cable is able to do. if you are right at 300 ft add in 4 connection point and interference the signal is too weak. If it was a single straight show of 300ft then you would probably be fine.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
my android apps works well, at least better than the ring app did. But yea i think you are just maxing out what the cat cable is able to do. if you are right at 300 ft add in 4 connection point and interference the signal is too weak. If it was a single straight show of 300ft then you would probably be fine.

 

iPhone app worked just fine..... so I cant say if android app works well with perfect connection...but it is definitely not properly built to handle less than perfect connections.

 

Edit: or it doesnt work well with certain version of android maybe?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Android app has not been updated and I still haven't heard back from Jak, after messaging him a few times for an update.

I will be trying to put a POE extender around the middle of the run to improve my connection. But disappointed in the lack of update on the app, especially after a bug was confirmed that made the app completely unusable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, timelinex said:

Android app has not been updated and I still haven't heard back from Jak, after messaging him a few times for an update.

I will be trying to put a POE extender around the middle of the run to improve my connection. But disappointed in the lack of update on the app, especially after a bug was confirmed that made the app completely unusable.

Sorry guys, I have been on vacation for the past couple of weeks and I'm just catching up now.  I'll talk with the Android engineer and see what the status is of this bug

 

Edit: Looks like this has been fixed and is slated for release in the next 2-3 weeks

Edited by jakblak
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 4:09 PM, jakblak said:

Sorry guys, I have been on vacation for the past couple of weeks and I'm just catching up now.  I'll talk with the Android engineer and see what the status is of this bug

 

Edit: Looks like this has been fixed and is slated for release in the next 2-3 weeks

Any update? It's past the 2-3 week window you mentioned. Holidays are coming up and many of us are going to have alot of people at our gates....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sorry guys, I have been on vacation for the past couple of weeks and I'm just catching up now.  I'll talk with the Android engineer and see what the status is of this bug   Edit: Looks like this has been fixed and is slated for release in the next 2-3 weeks

 

 

Ok well the app was finally updated and they fixed one thing but broke another. Now, it seems like a call always does go thru. However only one of the users gets the phone call from intercom anywhere. My wife and I are both users. So when someone rings the keypad, either my phone gets the call waiting notification or she does.  The weird part is that if we open the app and both have it open, then we both get the notification. Otherwise it's only one of us.

 

Very frustrating that a year later this thing still doesnt work reliably.

 

...possible pertains to this but maybe not: the call everyone command seems to gave changed from sip:AllCloud@ip to sip:All@ip . I don't know exactly when this change happened but I had programming that no longer worked to call and I had to to do this change to make it working again. Not sure if this change in C4's end had anything to do with it, but maybe them changing it broke some kind of functionality?

 

EDIT: Last night someone was at the gate and neither my wife or I got a call from intercom anywhere. I programmed it so that that when someone calls we both get a notification through c4 with screenshot sent. We both got that right away, screenshot and everything. So once again, it's the app and not my setup. So it is still NOT fixed for android.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

Best hardware they ever released as 2n is the Royals Royce , worst C4 implementation of any device its ever graced our installations with.

 

If you login to the web interface and look at what it's capable of you will see they using 2% of it through the driver and the 2% is implemented shocking.

I also doubt they going to evolve or maintain the driver as they now have the new devices and opened it up to other door bells.

Such a pity

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ILoveControl said:

I also doubt they going to evolve or maintain the driver as they now have the new devices and opened it up to other door bells.

While I agree with some of your other statements re: the DS2, this one is outright wrong.

Control4 has released a DS2 driver update since the Chime release, and is likely to continue to update the driver with bugfixes.

Some of the limitations / issues are hardware issues (lower res camera, worse low light sensitivity, etc.), that obviously can't be fixed with a driver update, but driver bugs are still 'fair game'.

RyanE

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most Door stations are flush installs usually on siding, brick, etc.  I'd hope c4 does everything in their power to keep the DS2 and/or form factor around as long as possible with updates because these are easily retrofit for new hardware given the holes they create.

Just my two cents - nothing against the chime but the mounting options for a Chime to replace the DS2 isnt really up to par for a luxury home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, RyanE said:

While I agree with some of your other statements re: the DS2, this one is outright wrong.

Control4 has released a DS2 driver update since the Chime release, and is likely to continue to update the driver with bugfixes.

Some of the limitations / issues are hardware issues (lower res camera, worse low light sensitivity, etc.), that obviously can't be fixed with a driver update, but driver bugs are still 'fair game'.

RyanE

From a user's experience that the experience I have had. I am not sure why it's constantly forced to over ride setting you set in the web interface example adding pics to users. I really think the limited approach of the driver needs to be addressed

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

Most Door stations are flush installs usually on siding, brick, etc.  I'd hope c4 does everything in their power to keep the DS2 and/or form factor around as long as possible with updates because these are easily retrofit for new hardware given the holes they create.

Just my two cents - nothing against the chime but the mounting options for a Chime to replace the DS2 isnt really up to par for a luxury home.

This 100%.  My DS2 is flush mounted in a stucco wall in new build construction that was put up around the box.  Looks great, performs like sh$t, but there's no real solution to put up a chime in its place without leaving a ragged hole in the front of the house.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ILoveControl said:

Best hardware they ever released as 2n is the Royals Royce , worst C4 implementation of any device its ever graced our installations with.

 

If you login to the web interface and look at what it's capable of you will see they using 2% of it through the driver and the 2% is implemented shocking.

I also doubt they going to evolve or maintain the driver as they now have the new devices and opened it up to other door bells.

Such a pity

Hmm… What is it that Control4 won’t let you do with the DS2 as it is?

Let’s see:

My DS2 has a Bluetooth module that works super awesome. I just touch it and instantly unlocks my Yale lock. I have custom programming based on who unlocks the door using the Bluetooth module. I mean, entering a code is so 2020. 

I have customers with on-site PBX and the DS2 is connected to both the PBX and Control4 with no issues.

I can do programming in the “Automation” section of the DS2 and integrate that with Control4.

I can send HTTP commands from C4 to the DS2 and viceversa for more advanced programming.

I can switch to an external camera from my T4 or mobile app while on a call with the DS2.

The DS2 will play an announcement telling the UPS/FedEx guy to leave the package at the front door if no one is home and no one answers the DS2 call after 30 seconds.

When someone rings the DS2, it will tell my PTZ to point to my front door and it will tell my NVR to bookmark the event with the tag “Doorbell” for stupid easy event search later if I need to check who rang the bell.

I can go on and on… but you get the point. If you are not using everything the DS2 has to offer right now, you are missing out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chico said:

Hmm… What is it that Control4 won’t let you do with the DS2 as it is?

Let’s see:

My DS2 has a Bluetooth module that works super awesome. I just touch it and instantly unlocks my Yale lock. I have custom programming based on who unlocks the door using the Bluetooth module. I mean, entering a code is so 2020. 

I have customers with on-site PBX and the DS2 is connected to both the PBX and Control4 with no issues.

I can do programming in the “Automation” section of the DS2 and integrate that with Control4.

I can send HTTP commands from C4 to the DS2 and viceversa for more advanced programming.

I can switch to an external camera from my T4 or mobile app while on a call with the DS2.

The DS2 will play an announcement telling the UPS/FedEx guy to leave the package at the front door if no one is home and no one answers the DS2 call after 30 seconds.

When someone rings the DS2, it will tell my PTZ to point to my front door and it will tell my NVR to bookmark the event with the tag “Doorbell” for stupid easy event search later if I need to check who rang the bell.

I can go on and on… but you get the point. If you are not using everything the DS2 has to offer right now, you are missing out.

Ha, yes.  Everything is great, DS2 and C4 are awesome.  Anyone who says otherwise is dumb for not realizing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wnpublic said:

Ha, yes.  Everything is great, DS2 and C4 are awesome.  Anyone who says otherwise is dumb for not realizing it.

Ha yes, because my setup is not working the product couldn't be working just fine in the majority of setups. Anyone not realizing that MY experience is paramount is dumb.

 

Come on dude, you're free to complain about quality limitations and parameters, but I have a lot of DS2/DSMini's out there, and other than one location (and guess what, we don't control the network there) it operates perfectly fine within it's parameters.

 

I don't disagree that the new form factor of the Chime does not make for a great replacement of the DS2 for it, then again, one of the biggest complaints coming up was that the DS2 was too bulky to begin with.

 

I mean I'd love to see an updated 'luxury option' for the DS2 that also fits the install better - but complaining about the different fits is like complaining my new Hisense 80" TV doesn't fit in my custom cabinetry for my projector screen...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Ha yes, because my setup is not working the product couldn't be working just fine in the majority of setups. Anyone not realizing that MY experience is paramount is dumb.

 

Come on dude, you're free to complain about quality limitations and parameters, but I have a lot of DS2/DSMini's out there, and other than one location (and guess what, we don't control the network there) it operates perfectly fine within it's parameters.

 

I don't disagree that the new form factor of the Chime does not make for a great replacement of the DS2 for it, then again, one of the biggest complaints coming up was that the DS2 was too bulky to begin with.

 

I mean I'd love to see an updated 'luxury option' for the DS2 that also fits the install better - but complaining about the different fits is like complaining my new Hisense 80" TV doesn't fit in my custom cabinetry for my projector screen...

 

You've missed the point.  I wasn't suggesting there were no satisfied customers; I'm sure there are.  Nor was I the one saying only my perspective matters. That's what the other guy said, by saying anyone who's unsatisfied has missed out, and what I was responding to.  I know it's hard to think clearly when the honor of Control4 has been attacked - that's the lesson of this forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, wnpublic said:

I know it's hard to think clearly when the honor of Control4 has been attacked - that's the lesson of this forum.

This type of attitude you keep displaying is what is a bigger pandemic than COVID is.

YOU are the one that can't accept that there is a middle ground, that everyone that doesn't agree with all you say is by default against you.

I'm really fed up with this whole sort of attitude WAP.

I wish you all the best and all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

This type of attitude you keep displaying is what is a bigger pandemic than COVID is.

YOU are the one that can't accept that there is a middle ground, that everyone that doesn't agree with all you say is by default against you.

I'm really fed up with this whole sort of attitude WAP.

I wish you all the best and all.

You think i'm the wappinghigh guy who used to post here?  Or are you name dropping Megan Thee Stallion and Cardi B?  Either way, you seem lost. Try to let your brain accept that there is more than one person who might criticize what is on offer and the way things are going.

Here's a wayfinder:  don't worship corporations, even and especially if you've invested time and/or money in their products.  It makes it easier to see things for what they are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Ha yes, because my setup is not working the product couldn't be working just fine in the majority of setups. Anyone not realizing that MY experience is paramount is dumb.

 

Come on dude, you're free to complain about quality limitations and parameters, but I have a lot of DS2/DSMini's out there, and other than one location (and guess what, we don't control the network there) it operates perfectly fine within it's parameters.

 

 

Feel free to complain except when you disagree... because your DS2s work 100% except for one ...and that one cant possibly be your fault. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 3 sides to every story

In this case its

(1) the Dealer/C4 POV on what the device can do
(2) end users POV on performance and what features are/are not implemented (by reason of lack of dealer knowledge, lack of hardware ability, etc)
(3) the truth which usually floats somewhere in the middle

None of us, and I repeat none of us, have identical experiences.  The DS2 hardware is a static device, but the placement on a house, the dealer involved, the network backbone, perceived thoughts, device that the DS2 is calling, etc are all different and vary.

Hence - your mileage may vary.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...