C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless Serial

ILoveControl

Question

Hi all,

I am trying to avoid having to buy a CA1 just for a serial port..

Situation I have a DSC ALARM  system which I my old house the main board use to be right by my server rack. Now the alarm main board is on the opposite side of the house a long long way away. 

I am trying to figure out if there is some sort of clever zigbee or WiFi extender for serial ports I can put on the one side of the house and bind it to serial ports my IT100 interface works between my C4 network?

10 answers to this question

10 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

Do you have a 4 conductor or cat cable from the new alarm location to the AV rack? If not you probably would be looking at a global cache adapter

Global Cache iTach, Wi-Fi to Serial (WF2SL) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051BU42W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nw0pDbCW3ZZEY

Was being an idiot didn't see the link. Sorry. 

So reading up on this would you put one in each side (alarm main board) and server room and then connect the IT100 (DSC interface) to the serial on the alarm side and the serial in the server room to the EA5 serial port?

59 minutes ago, ILoveControl said:

Was being an idiot didn't see the link. Sorry. 

So reading up on this would you put one in each side (alarm main board) and server room and then connect the IT100 (DSC interface) to the serial on the alarm side and the serial in the server room to the EA5 serial port?

No that is not correct.  The Global Cache iTach adds an additional serial port to Control4's system with their driver.

2 minutes ago, alanchow said:

No that is not correct.  The Global Cache iTach adds an additional serial port to Control4's system with their driver.

Got you so I use that iTach to connect the serial from the IT100 to the alarm. Then there is a C4 driver that will interface over the wifi network with it. Does it simulate a serial port that you can bind the alarm system to it in composer?

4 minutes ago, ILoveControl said:

Got you so I use that iTach to connect the serial from the IT100 to the alarm. Then there is a C4 driver that will interface over the wifi network with it. Does it simulate a serial port that you can bind the alarm system to it in composer?

That is correct.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:30 PM, paxcam said:

Is there any other option to add a serial port to my HC-800?

it might be more useful to explain what you would like to connect to your system? there may be other options.

as sonic30101 explained in the first response in this thread global cache make a wired and wireless serial to IP option that integrate to control4:

https://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/wf2slspecs/

https://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/ip2slspecs/

23 hours ago, paxcam said:

I’ve got one of my serial ports dead.  I need to connect/control an Ademco alarm panel and my KD-HD 4x4 lite video switcher.  Thanks for any help.

just the above options so a CA-1 and Global cache unit

you could also get just about any compatible controller, or an io extender.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.