C4 Forums | Control4

C4 3.0 iOS app

ILoveControl

Question

23 answers to this question

31 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

You would be surprised how much it could be your WiFi. Some systems are slower than others, the ones that are faster tend to have better APs and network backbones.

Thank  you L. The reason I say it's not the network is I have 16 unifi enterprise AP with tye unifi gateway and  controller 2. I checked the signal strength as well as the through put. I have my device on a high priority queue. 

Finally I did some deep packet inspection the data from the controller to the device is relatively quick. The app takes long to process 

16 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

This is a known issue (as discussed in other threads).  Apparently, C4 is aware of the issue and its being worked on.  I agree - it's super slow and VERY annoying.

OK cool as long as they aware of it now the trick is how long to fix.

UniFi is on Control4's do not use list and from what I've read, the new app uses SDDP to find the system on the local network. Chances are high they don't expect it to work on a UniFi network and possibly UniFi doesn't handle SDDP well. Especially if it a mesh setup.

Unifi is not the issue. I have lots of clients with OS3 and Unifi.

Close the app completely and open it from scratch - loads quick

Put the app in the background for a bit and come back and reopen the app takes 30 seconds to load.

Known bug it happens on every system. Solution. Just shut the app down and open from scratch. Or wait a few more weeks untill C4 has it patched. They are aware of the issue.

13 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

UniFi is on Control4's do not use list and from what I've read, the new app uses SDDP to find the system on the local network. Chances are high they don't expect it to work on a UniFi network and possibly UniFi doesn't handle SDDP well. Especially if it a mesh setup.

SDDP works just fine on Unifi.  

2 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

The only ones that get defensive about UniFi are fanboys and those who sell it. Everyone else talks about Cisco, Ruckus, and maybe a few on Araknis and Pakedge. I never hear anything about UniFi.

I'm not a fanboy, and I don't sell it.  I'm also not getting defensive about it.. I'm just stating a fact that you are incorrect about this particular issue.

I have seen a Beta version of the app (not sure if I should have seen this, nor am I sure how far we are away from an iOS app update) but I can say that from what I saw, it looks to me like the next version of the app will load up on a local network in about 1/3 of the time that the current app takes... In short, I am not in the know, but do believe that this will be resolved soon! Those in the know are probably constrained from commenting.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:30 PM, Dunamivora said:

The only ones that get defensive about UniFi are fanboys and those who sell it. Everyone else talks about Cisco, Ruckus, and maybe a few on Araknis and Pakedge. I never hear anything about UniFi.

Maybe you never hear anything on Unifi as people don't have problems?

Your previous statements are strong, but without details.  Unifi can provide a stable infrastructure, both wired and wireless. When thats in place there should be almost no connection with application layer programs, period.

Do note I said STABLE. Most problems are simply caused by network instabilities and flakey features of the infrastructure (I do know Unifi has some features that cause instability on wireless connection when turned on, but at the same time they care beta features) or human error.  Almost never have you heard someone claim vendor XX's implementation of ethernet worn't work with my app.

Thank  you L. The reason I say it's not the network is I have 16 unifi enterprise AP with tye unifi gateway and  controller 2. I checked the signal strength as well as the through put. I have my device on a high priority queue. 

Finally I did some deep packet inspection the data from the controller to the device is relatively quick. The app takes long to process 
I also have a Ubiquiti network. I only have 5 APs along with a bunch of switches/USG/etc, and OS3 has been working pretty fast since the day after OS3 was released. I have noticed that if I set detailed wallpapers for each room, the UI slows down significantly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, rolldog said:

I also have a Ubiquiti network. I only have 5 APs along with a bunch of switches/USG/etc, and OS3 has been working pretty fast since the day after OS3 was released. I have noticed that if I set detailed wallpapers for each room, the UI slows down significantly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Will try the background trick out. Might be the issue for now. 

It is just irritating when you want to do something quickly like check your cameras or turn a light on and off it takes forever to "connect" started noticing it on the T3's as well. While you using it sometimes it starts "Connecting" but the T3's "connecting" is much quicker. Still a irritation though.

As above there is a beta app that has fixed this issue keep checking every day on the app store for release. Wish they would release it already!

I found another problem with the OS3 iOS ap.  If you select the experience button for the C4 Auto Lock driver, the background changes but the press doesn’t register.  Works fine on a T3 or Android device. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.