C4 Forums | Control4

Security

Time2Jet

I’m hoping for some advice on a new wireless security system.

I have researched DSC and Interlogix. I know that a well-respected member has personal experience with integrating a Interlogix Concord platform system. I do like the Interlogix Simon XTi-5, but can’t find real great integration information.

Here’s my question, (and full C4 integration is a must, so much that I want to use a C4 touchpad in lieu of the security systems keypad). Can I use a C4 touch wall pad at my front door when leaving to arm the system, control an HVAC scene, a lighting scene, locking my C4 Kwickset locks, assuring my garage door is closed, etc). I also want to use the motion sensors for dual purposes (ie security when away, but triggering lighting when I am home). I obviously want to use my remotes or the C4 app and OSD fir the same.

Has anyone had direct experience with this? What system did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, time2jet said:

I do like the Interlogix Simon XTi-5, but can’t find real great integration information.

Oh here's the information - the Simon line has ZERO ability to integrate (no expansion modules possible).

Also no clue why you like it, it's a horrible piece - but to each their own.

Here’s my question, (and full C4 integration is a must, so much that I want to use a C4 touchpad in lieu of the security systems keypad). Can I use a C4 touch wall pad at my front door when leaving to arm the system, control an HVAC scene, a lighting scene, locking my C4 Kwickset locks, assuring my garage door is closed, etc).

You bet

I also want to use the motion sensors for dual purposes (ie security when away, but triggering lighting when I am home)

For sure, though there may be a small delay (wireless motion takes some time to report to panel, panel to C4 is usually fast)

I obviously want to use my remotes or the C4 app and OSD fir the same.

Yep, security is available on oall interface

What system did you use?

Concord, PowerPC and NEO (Interlogix and DSC).

They're all fine. Leaning towards NEO these days, just has nices options available.

Availability of other panels will depend on where you're at, and even interlogix isn't readily available everywhere.

Honeywell is the other big one often available, but it's integration is not nearly as smooth as DSC options are.

This is excellent information@Cyknight. Thank you! I like the Neo too. Dawn uses the Concord and loves it.

So, to take it further...

Can I use the T3 as if it were the keypad? (Use only the security systems controller and sensors, etc). I need 2 keypads. I was maybe going to do 1 & 1.

I do know about the sensor delay, and that’s not feasible for lighting. I don’t need them for security, that was just a bonus. So I can run Hue or TP motion sensor lighting scenes? I have a Hue hub and TP driver in my System already. Or should I look at the C4 or NYCE? I know there are many more. Trying to get a cat friendly solution.

Lastly, with one of your recommended systems, can I use their keypad to do away scenes or routines through my EA5? (Press arm, lock doors etc)?

13 hours ago, time2jet said:

Here’s my question, (and full C4 integration is a must, so much that I want to use a C4 touchpad in lieu of the security systems keypad). Can I use a C4 touch wall pad at my front door when leaving to arm the system, control an HVAC scene, a lighting scene, locking my C4 Kwickset locks, assuring my garage door is closed, etc). I also want to use the motion sensors for dual purposes (ie security when away, but triggering lighting when I am home). I obviously want to use my remotes or the C4 app and OSD fir the same.

bad idea.  the touchscreens are nice but in a panic if you need to turn off the alarm its not as good as tactile alarm keypad.  I have 2 main entry points in my house - front door and garage/basement.  The front door has a coat closet and I have a DSC keypad in there for emergencies and right on the outside of that closet is a c4 touchscreen.  best of both worlds.  my bedroom has both a T/S in the main area and a keypad in a closet and in the basement I have a T/S by the gym (not right at the entrance) and i have a DSC keypad by the door itself.  

Anytime I set the alarm to away (doesnt matter if its via the app, T/S, DSC keypad, etc) all TV's shut off, music shuts off, doors lock, etc.  so you can still do that with proper programming with or without an alarm keypad, I just would not build a system without a keypad.  At least for DSC 1 keypad is required I believe to broadcast signals to the IT100 so C4 knows the names of each zone.

56 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

bad idea.  the touchscreens are nice but in a panic if you need to turn off the alarm its not as good as tactile alarm keypad.  I have 2 main entry points in my house - front door and garage/basement.  The front door has a coat closet and I have a DSC keypad in there for emergencies and right on the outside of that closet is a c4 touchscreen.  best of both worlds.  my bedroom has both a T/S in the main area and a keypad in a closet and in the basement I have a T/S by the gym (not right at the entrance) and i have a DSC keypad by the door itself.  

Anytime I set the alarm to away (doesnt matter if its via the app, T/S, DSC keypad, etc) all TV's shut off, music shuts off, doors lock, etc.  so you can still do that with proper programming with or without an alarm keypad, I just would not build a system without a keypad.  At least for DSC 1 keypad is required I believe to broadcast signals to the IT100 so C4 knows the names of each zone.

@eggslot - if I can do a lot of that with the DSC or Interlogix Keypad, then I can avoid a T3 at the front door?  I just don't know the capabilities of the alarm system keypads from one vendor to the next. 

Will an alarm keypad (and which one is most integratible) do the following?

1.  Arm system

2. Lock all doors and check garage door to make sure it's closed.

2 Turn off All Lighting

3. Turn off all Zone TV's, fireplaces etc.

4. Set thermostat to away mode

On another note Can I tell my system when no gps signatures are present in the home to arm the system and lock the doors?  Right now through the Caseta hub, I have a lighting scene that triggers when my phone comes within range of the home.  I think I can add unlocking the Kwiksets in the Lutron app.

27 minutes ago, time2jet said:

@eggslot - if I can do a lot of that with the DSC or Interlogix Keypad, then I can avoid a T3 at the front door?  I just don't know the capabilities of the alarm system keypads from one vendor to the next. 

Will an alarm keypad (and which one is most integratible) do the following?

1.  Arm system

2. Lock all doors and check garage door to make sure it's closed.

2 Turn off All Lighting

3. Turn off all Zone TV's, fireplaces etc.

4. Set thermostat to away mode

On another note Can I tell my system when no gps signatures are present in the home to arm the system and lock the doors?  Right now through the Caseta hub, I have a lighting scene that triggers when my phone comes within range of the home.  I think I can add unlocking the Kwiksets in the Lutron app.

with c4 you can program off actions/states of the system.  so my program says when my alarm is set to armed (on) turn off XYZ, turn on ABC, etc.  all i had to do envoke that was to get my alarm into "armed" mode.  i can do that via the DSC keypad, the C4 Touchscreen or the c4 Mobile app.

do you need a T/S at the door?  if the only purpose is for the alarm then heck no, a T/S touch screen is $1,000 and most alarm keypads are $100ish.  That said the C4 T/S is way nicer looking AND a multitude more useful - you can control lights, door locks, and your entire system.  Do you need that level of control at that entry/exit point?  I dont know, its your house, your lifestyle, your habits, etc.  but if the sole purpose is for alarm access you are wasting money.  program C4 to do whatever you want to happen when the alarm is armed/disarmed and use the Alarm keypad to turn on/off the alarm.

the alarm system keypads are mostly going to turn your alarm on/off, and you can see if any zones are open and which zone is open.  that is about the extent of the use of most alarm keypads.  a few are dipping their toes more into HA and can do some light HVAC, door security, etc but that is why you have C4, so for your purpose, its really just interacting with the alarm which is turning it on/off and checking to see what zone(s) may be open.

39 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

You can add programming to C4 that will do things like turn off lighting/TV, etc when the alarm is armed.  You can arm the alarm from either C4 (using a T3, app, etc) or the alarm keypad.

@LollerAgent , @cyknight & @eggzlot Which alarm are you guys running?  And it's most likely asked and answered here... what integrates best?

I believe I am down to DSC Neo/Interlogix Concord.  I am scrapping the T3 idea at the doors, does it matter which keypad I use for one of these 2 systems, I think I have choices.  If C4 will allow me to program simply be device state and not so much "per button push" on these keypads then I am fine.  ie:  "when armed", when unarmed, do this or that etc, I am fine.

1 hour ago, time2jet said:

@LollerAgent , @cyknight & @eggzlot Which alarm are you guys running?  And it's most likely asked and answered here... what integrates best?

I believe I am down to DSC Neo/Interlogix Concord.  I am scrapping the T3 idea at the doors, does it matter which keypad I use for one of these 2 systems, I think I have choices.  If C4 will allow me to program simply be device state and not so much "per button push" on these keypads then I am fine.  ie:  "when armed", when unarmed, do this or that etc, I am fine.

I have an older DSC Panel (not the Neo), I think its an 1864 or something.  it talks to C4 via an IT-100 module which has a serial connection and goes into the C4 Controller.

There really is no "best".  DSC works, ELK works, Interlogix works, etc. You are over thinking things - its an alarm and the differences are minimal.  The keypads are dedicated to the system, so pick a system and then you pick from their selection of keypads.  Here is one of the first websites that came up with a good showing of most DSC Keypads: https://www.alarmsystemstore.com/collections/dsc-alarm-keypads - I mean they look like any other alarm keypad

Most of these products require an alarm installer because they are part of the CI channel, so find a dealer you like, the system itself is very basic and small changes from one to the other.  

My DSC alarm system is a mixed of wired/wireless window contacts, wired door contacts, Smoke, CO2, and water sensors.  I believe any system these days offer those types of devices for monitoring purposes.

https://drivers.control4.com/solr/drivers/browse?&fq=certified%3A"true"

search for security on the left.  That is what’s native in C4. Go to drivercentral or blackwire to see 3rd party drivers

tons of choices.  Find 1-2 local dealers and get quotes and see what hardware they spec.  If you go with a local integrator (not adt or simplysafe) it should likely integrate 

I’m going to order the DSC Neo with keypads.

Here’s what I’m understanding.

If I arm the system via its native keypad, I can program my director to do certain things if it sees the system has been armed, away, stay, vacation etc. I’d sure like the alarm’s native touchpad to do certain things outside of “arming & disarming)”.

I’m not going to waste the money putting T3’s at my doors. I have them at other critical points throughout the home.

9 minutes ago, time2jet said:

I’m going to order the DSC Neo with keypads.

Here’s what I’m understanding.

If I arm the system via its native keypad, I can program my director to do certain things if it sees the system has been armed, away, stay, vacation etc. I’d sure like the alarm’s native touchpad to do certain things outside of “arming & disarming)”.

I’m not going to waste the money putting T3’s at my doors. I have them at other critical points throughout the home.

Not sure your alarm will have a vacation state.  Away, stay, disarm and alarm (going off bc it was triggered) are likely the options.   You can program off those states or any sensor   Aka if the window opens you can get a text.   I was having issues with a bad sensor that would read open even when closed.   I set up a text to get a txt when that sensor read open to know when I had to reset it   Eventually got it fixed but due to a few issues I had to wait a month or 2  

you can say when alarm is set to arm blink every light in the house, play a verbal announcement and send you a text message.  Whatever you want.  

8 hours ago, time2jet said:

I have a DSC Neo with the TL IP communicator.  It's not doing much right now.. just handling smokes.  About to start adding sensors.  Give the guys a call at alarmsystemstore.com.  They are super helpful and their prices are very fair.  They will even pre-program it and ship it to you if you desire.

• 3 weeks later...

I currently have interlogix and have realized that I cannot program higher level automation. I would like to be able to get the following info from an alarm:

1. Which user code disarmed

2. Which zone caused the alarm to fail to arm

3. Report open zones for other programming...ie using dark sky weather driver to signal a storm is forecast for two hours, x, y and Z windows are open. 

Will DSX neo or Elk do that? Interlogix does not

7 hours ago, ERDrPC said:

I currently have interlogix and have realized that I cannot program higher level automation. I would like to be able to get the following info from an alarm:

3. Report open zones for other programming...ie using dark sky weather driver to signal a storm is forecast for two hours, x, y and Z windows are open. 

Dsc 1864 user here not neo but I know 1 and 2 would work.  Don’t see why 3 wouldn’t work

On 8/18/2019 at 12:10 AM, ERDrPC said:

Elk experience, and I know the integration will give you either the name of the user (or the user number) as defined in the Elk config for #1 above.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.