C4 Forums | Control4

Music Services

So - my son is excited about waking up to a certain song/couple of songs every morning. I know that Napster supports this, but it requires a $10/mo subscription (which I used to have for $5/mo, but my credit card expired therefore my account subscription lapsed and I've never renewed it). I have a family subscription to Apple Music. I hate the idea of paying for 2 streaming services that offer nearly identical functionality. Is there another music service that provides the same level of tight, stand alone integration that Napster did but doesn't require me to buy something else?

Or should I just nix my Apple Music subscription in favor of Napster? Or should I just suck it up and pay for both?

1 hour ago, ecschnei said:

Why don't you just load the music on usb or something and just make a local music playlist? I already have a plex server so I just keep some music on it that is our favorites

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have terabytes of music from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. That isn’t what my 12 year old wants to listen to. 

I’ll check out Deezer and Tidal. 

I've just subscribed to both Apple Music and Napster.  Besides the obvious integration advantages for Napster, it has some unique features Spotify, Apple Music, etc. don't have.  I just wish family plan pricing model was competitive.  Don't like sharing playlists with the whole family.

Watch for sales on iTunes cards, you can usually get 20% off and stock up a couple hundred dollars worth at a time, and then you can pay the monthly recurring with those.  That helps some.

If you have to have Apple music, Sonos is probably the best option. You can do basic controls and favorites through C4, but have to use Sonos for specific searches, etc. Of you don’t have to have Apple Music, the native integration services mentioned in this thread are your best option. . 

On 8/1/2019 at 6:32 PM, Dunamivora said:

Napster, Deezer, and Tidal all have good native support and programming.

I like Amazon Music myself, but it doesn't have the ability to start anything from programming.

But C4 does not support MQA of “master” from TIDAL... 

3 minutes ago, rea said:

Deezer and Tidal both work great. Also, CEDIA is in a month and there's always the possibility (odds are somewhere between 0-100% ;) )that C4 could announce Apple Music integration then if you're willing to wait and see. 

Massive improvements to the Apple Bridge

And T4 Touchscreens...

And loads of upgrades to OS3

And a coffee making machine 

OK - I’ll settle for 3 out of 4 😂

Talking about controlling Coffee making machines. I just got this really cool Jura Giga 6 here and it works with my phone and ipad. Just need my Control4 System to integrate with this thing and I will be set. On a bad note I drink like 7 of these a day. Can order up many types of drinks from your phone.

IMG_5262.jpg

2 hours ago, Cartnj said:

Talking about controlling Coffee making machines. I just got this really cool Jura Giga 6 here and it works with my phone and ipad. Just need my Control4 System to integrate with this thing and I will be set. On a bad note I drink like 7 of these a day. Can order up many types of drinks from your phone.

IMG_5262.jpg

Love it

I’m glad for this topic, as I complain all of the time that the LISTEN side of the Navigator is less than desirable for how far along this technology is.

I don’t like that I have to pick up my phone to play Spotify and searchng for music via Amazon Music Unlimited and Pandora just isn’t great. I’m going to try Tidal, as they have a fairly large catalog and it allegedly integrates the best (considering its native, it better). Does anyone have any screenshots of Tidal in Navigator? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just stumbled upon this and I think I may be onto something.

On my system I have 2 Roku Ultras running through my AVR to two different zones. It looks from the screenshots like it’s the full Spotify experience versus the Spotify Connect native in my EA-5. Anyone know if I’m understanding this correctly?

My issue with Spotify and C4 is that I first have to Listen>Spotify, then grab my phone launch the app and control through my phone. Seems ridiculous since I can do that without C4 in the fold.

Why don’t I just pull Spotify via the Navigator “Listen” menu from the Roku’s? Wouldn’t that have a better OSD interface. I don’t think I’d even have to deal with my phone.

Spotify also resides on my Denon AVR which serves as the matrix to both of these zones. Would it be different from Denon versus Roku, or forgive me if I’m too ignorant is that also Spotify “Connect”.

And in these scenarios am I compromising sound quality with one versus the other?

Thank you in advance for your input.

9 hours ago, time2jet said:

I just stumbled upon this and I think I may be onto something.

On my system I have 2 Roku Ultras running through my AVR to two different zones. It looks from the screenshots like it’s the full Spotify experience versus the Spotify Connect native in my EA-5. Anyone know if I’m understanding this correctly?

My issue with Spotify and C4 is that I first have to Listen>Spotify, then grab my phone launch the app and control through my phone. Seems ridiculous since I can do that without C4 in the fold.

Why don’t I just pull Spotify via the Navigator “Listen” menu from the Roku’s? Wouldn’t that have a better OSD interface. I don’t think I’d even have to deal with my phone.

Spotify also resides on my Denon AVR which serves as the matrix to both of these zones. Would it be different from Denon versus Roku, or forgive me if I’m too ignorant is that also Spotify “Connect”.

And in these scenarios am I compromising sound quality with one versus the other?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Do you have "Auto Room Select" and "Auto Play" enabled for the Spotify driver in your room?  This helps with some of the app-switching stupidness.  With these options enabled, you should be able to just launch the Spotify app and choose your Spotify Connect driver.

Do you have "Auto Room Select" and "Auto Play" enabled for the Spotify driver in your room?  This helps with some of the app-switching stupidness.  With these options enabled, you should be able to just launch the Spotify app and choose your Spotify Connect driver.

@msgreenf Mitch - do we have this enabled? The app on Roku looks like the online site or iPhone app. Far easier than the “Connect” situation.

Thanks Loller. I still say there has to be a better way. I’m going to add a Tidal trial, it looks like it’s OSD is the full service.

Just now, time2jet said:

Thanks Loller. I still say there has to be a better way. I’m going to add a Tidal trial, it looks like it’s OSD is the full service.

There should be.  I blame a lot of this on Spotify, though.  Let me know how Tidal goes.  I really don't want to leave Spotify..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.