C4 Forums | Control4

Touch Screen vs iPad

Nehsmit

5 hours ago, Nehsmit said:

Hi all,

I have an old 7"TS which is now shot. Looking to upgrade. I have it mounted on a wall with POE in place. Is there a cheaper alternative such as an ipad mounted in its place? If so, how do I power it and any recs on mounts?

TIA

Really depends on what you want TBH. For me I use to use the iPad version (there are some wall mounts that have been posted here before). IMO they don't really look professional and you have to hide the power brick somewhere and get power to it, as the iPad can't be powered by PoE (unless there is some funky gadget out there that can convert it).

If you look at functionality the one bit of functionality you don't get on the iPad app is the integrated intercom for your different devices i.e. Door Station. If that isn't an issue for you then iPad could still work.

Having watched at the evolution of the C4 propitiatory interface products esp tablets, I suspect more and more dedicated functionality for C4 tablets will be released. Otherwise whats the point of having a C4 propitiatory tablet?

It comes down to what you need at the end of the day. There are "rumors" but they just that rumors of a T4 but with C4 you never know timelines nor has anything been officially announced. Also check out the other threads on this topic in the forum there has been many debates and suggestions (with the link to some iPad mounts) as well, might bring some more info for you.

For mounting check out iPort Products - either LaunchPort or LuxePort: https://iportproducts.com/luxeport#lx-order-now

I think that iPad is perfectly good outside of Intercom Anywhere use cases where you want the Intercom to instantly pop-up on screen.  That said, my understanding is that Intercom Anywhere will still work on iPhone and iPad.

Don't know that I agree about C4 TouchScreen specific functionality going forward.  Case in point: Used to be that the Sleep and Wake Agent would only work on a C4 TouchScreen.  No longer true under OS3 where you can have it on an iPad or iPhone.

If you have CAT cable going to where you plan to mount your iPad, you can make it look pretty darn slick given all of the mounting options out there IMHO.

I went down this road when contemplating the 3.0 upgrade and the death of my existing touch screens. I couldn’t find an acceptable iPad mounting solution. Ultimately, I accepted advice to look for T3s for sale on this forum and on eBay. I’m happy I did. I found several T3s in the range of $500, and they work exceptionally well. The iPad alternative was made worse by 3.0’s elimination of “Dedicated Mode” for the iOS app. Even with workarounds, the app must reconnect every time you touch the screen. Intercom isn’t a big factor for me. TLDR: Buy T3s on the secondary market, you’ll be much happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put three of the iPad pro 11s in my new house, wall mounted with VidaMount and hooked up to a TexasPOE to USB C converter and they look pretty nice. I think the smaller bezels on the new iPad really help them look more intentional when wall mounted as opposed to an afterthought. It’s nice to be able to switch over to Sonos or Apple TV remotes on the iPad if need be. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PK4YC22/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_paFwDbWF4RNZK

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D199JQP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZbFwDb3HDWMP4

Yes you can wall mount ipads using POE, I looked into many options and did this perfectly at my place.

To constantly power the ipad, I used this ethernet to lightning adapter: https://www.poetexas.com/products/gaf-lightning-p-d

I managed to hide it in the wall without issue, and only the small lightning connector shows, so it's very nice and tidy.

To mount the ipad on the wall, I just used cheap magnets from AliExpress here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32812106293.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1e564c4dzufodV

So the ipad sits nicely on the wall, and is always charged.

Benefits are that not only do you have C4 there, but any other ios apps too.

Works for me.

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

Are iPads still swelling from being constantly charged??

The few I’ve done, I’ve switched them to use injectors plugged into a watt box and have a daily schedule to kill power for 8 hours or so.

Was a major problem a couple years ago.

Yeah. I've got an iPad mounted with one of the LuxePort wall mounts (which I really like) and have noticed some very minor swelling in it recently. Mine is on AC so I have it running through a TP-Link plug with scheduled off times now. Hoping that stops the progression. If not, I'll know to do it from the start when I throw a replacement iPad in there. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.