Nehsmit

Touch Screen vs iPad

Hi all,

I have an old 7"TS which is now shot. Looking to upgrade. I have it mounted on a wall with POE in place. Is there a cheaper alternative such as an ipad mounted in its place? If so, how do I power it and any recs on mounts?

TIA

5 hours ago, Nehsmit said:

Hi all,

I have an old 7"TS which is now shot. Looking to upgrade. I have it mounted on a wall with POE in place. Is there a cheaper alternative such as an ipad mounted in its place? If so, how do I power it and any recs on mounts?

TIA

Really depends on what you want TBH. For me I use to use the iPad version (there are some wall mounts that have been posted here before). IMO they don't really look professional and you have to hide the power brick somewhere and get power to it, as the iPad can't be powered by PoE (unless there is some funky gadget out there that can convert it).

If you look at functionality the one bit of functionality you don't get on the iPad app is the integrated intercom for your different devices i.e. Door Station. If that isn't an issue for you then iPad could still work.

Having watched at the evolution of the C4 propitiatory interface products esp tablets, I suspect more and more dedicated functionality for C4 tablets will be released. Otherwise whats the point of having a C4 propitiatory tablet?

It comes down to what you need at the end of the day. There are "rumors" but they just that rumors of a T4 but with C4 you never know timelines nor has anything been officially announced. Also check out the other threads on this topic in the forum there has been many debates and suggestions (with the link to some iPad mounts) as well, might bring some more info for you.

For mounting check out iPort Products - either LaunchPort or LuxePort: https://iportproducts.com/luxeport#lx-order-now

I think that iPad is perfectly good outside of Intercom Anywhere use cases where you want the Intercom to instantly pop-up on screen.  That said, my understanding is that Intercom Anywhere will still work on iPhone and iPad.

Don't know that I agree about C4 TouchScreen specific functionality going forward.  Case in point: Used to be that the Sleep and Wake Agent would only work on a C4 TouchScreen.  No longer true under OS3 where you can have it on an iPad or iPhone.

If you have CAT cable going to where you plan to mount your iPad, you can make it look pretty darn slick given all of the mounting options out there IMHO.