C4 Forums | Control4

As promised, my review of version 2 of the No Hassle AV 8x16 HDbaseT 18gbps Matrix

rayk32

For the second time, I have been fortunate to be included in the product testing of No Hassle AV’s new video matrix.  This time it is Version 2 of their "8x16 HDbaseT 18gbps Matrix" found here: LINK.  Version 2 of the matrix features built-in HDR, audio extraction, ARC and 4K Downscaling.  The matrix is capable of transmitting 4K60hz HDR YUV 4:4:4 at 10 bit and 8 bit, which allows you to maximize your Apple TV 4K and Roku 4K experience.

The test required me to install the matrix, replace the No Hassle AV receivers with the ones that came with the new matrix and have the new driver integrated into my Control4 project.  As with all of their matrices, the Control4 driver was written and provided by No Hassle AV free of charge.  Aside from a 75” Vizio I’ve added to the basement, my televisions, sources and cabling remain the same.  Due to this fact, I believe I have a good baseline and point of reference to compare the picture/sound quality and overall integration of the new matrix.

When I went through the initial setup of the matrix, I saw a new and more mature web-based user interface.  The interface continues to be user-friendly and intuitive and adds additional tabs for configuring the features mentioned above.  Here is what I found on the key tabs: 

• General - you can see which ports are active, but there is no indication of what device is actually connected. Until there is a way to automatically detect what is connected, it might be a good idea to give the ability to relabel or place a description on each port.
  • Audio – Here you can turn on/off HDMI ARC or HDBT ARC for each output connection.  You can also select the source of the audio or to mute the source.  
  • Receiver – There are three selections on the page, Bypass, Scale and Auto.  Here you can select whether to send the native video from the source to your display, manually downscale or let the matrix chose what to send to your display.
  • EDID – Has a better layout and offers every possible combination of settings.

As for how the matrix works as compared to previous versions, picture quality and responsiveness remain the same.  Again, if you want to avoid any lag when turning on or changing sources, it is imperative that you turn off all power saving features on your set-top-boxes.  This is not in any way a shortcoming of the matrix. 

My experience with the new features has been nothing less than perfect.  I won’t mention HDR because that feature carries over from the previous model and performs the same.  This is just their first matrix that offers HDR with the features listed below.  Obviously, there are some programming requirements on the Control4 side, but I will leave that out as it could vary based on equipment and other things specific to each project.  Here are my findings in my system:

• ARC – The first thing I noticed when the new matrix and receiver were detected, is that the HDMI 1 port on my Samsung TVs was relabeled “ARC Adapter HDMI 1”.  As a test, I connected two FiiO D3 digital to analog audio converters via digital coax to the No Hassle matrix.  From there I connected the 2-channel analog (RCA connectors) to my Control4 audio matrix and was able to listen to the audio from the corresponding TV through my connected in-ceiling speakers.
  • Audio Extraction – Using the same ARC setup, I was able to hear the audio from my various video sources (TiVo, 4K Apple TV and Roku Ultra) through my connected in-ceiling speakers.
  • Video Downscaling – For this test, I connected a 1080p TV to another HDMI port and played 4K content.  The video on both the 4K TV and 1080p TV displayed as expected.

*** using a DAC is not a requirement because there are corresponding 1/8 analog jacks that you can use with a 1/8 to RCA Y-connector.

Overall, everything that I said in my previous reviews remains the same.  I have 4K TVs ranging in size from 40” to 75” (2 Samsung’s, 1 LG and 3 Vizio’s) and they all worked very well with the three No Hassle matrices that I’ve had in my project.  The serial driver has worked flawlessly in each case.  This matrix deals with all types of sources (TiVo, 4K Apple TV and Roku Ultra) with no notable hiccups.  

This matrix does its job and more.

Link to previous review - 

It looks like it does. In the manual 

“4:4:4,4:2:2,4:2:0(10,12bit deep color) HDR10,HDR10+,Dolby Vision, HLG”

Although their previous matrix said the same and it didn’t work. Not sure if they are referring to the cat6 hdbaset outputs or the hdmi

6 minutes ago, uddinz said:

It looks like it does. In the manual 

“4:4:4,4:2:2,4:2:0(10,12bit deep color) HDR10,HDR10+,Dolby Vision, HLG”

Although their previous matrix said the same and it didn’t work. Not sure if they are referring to the cat6 hdbaset outputs or the hdmi

Did you engage tech support?  I had to get them involved with some EDID stuff on my first matrix and they were very helpful.

Hello, Dolby Vision is supported through the HDMI outputs only. As of today, HDbaseT does not support Dolby Vision 60hz. This applies to any HDbaseT matrix on the market, not just ours. There is no technology on the market today that will support Dolby Vision 60hz over a CAT cable. Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

1 hour ago, No Hassle Audio Video said:

Hello, Dolby Vision is supported through the HDMI outputs only. As of today, HDbaseT does not support Dolby Vision 60hz. This applies to any HDbaseT matrix on the market, not just ours. There is no technology on the market today that will support Dolby Vision 60hz over a CAT cable. Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Thanks for the clarification. That saved me some time and headaches.

2 hours ago, anon2828 said:

As to the Dolby Vision question - partially true answer.  While there may be no traditional matrix that can pass Dolby Vision at 60hz, Atlona's  OmniStream AV over IP solution does (with a license upgrade):

https://atlona.com/omnistream-av-over-ip/

https://atlona.com/omnistream-av-over-ip-dolby-vision/

Interesting. Licensed upgrade to get it.

My apologies. I meant to say that there are no MATRIX units on the market that will support Dolby Vision at 60hz via CAT cable. Atlona's IP solution will indeed accomplish Dolby Vision for you at 60hz but there are a few major downsides:

1) With a cost of $1600 for each transmitter, $1100 for each receiver, and a $600 license for each decoder, an 8x8 setup would cost $26,400 not including a network switch. This is out of reach for most consumers and about $23,000 more than the matrix that we offer. 

2) According to the Atlona rep that we just spoke to and the spec sheets online, 4k60hz is limited to 4:2:0. Our HDbaseT solutions can support 4K60hz 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 for HDR10. So it seems that choosing the ability to play Dolby Vision with the Atlona solution takes away your ability to play HDR10 at its highest resolutions with HDbaseT

3) There doesn't seem to be a Control4 driver for the OmniStream line at the moment

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks @rayk32 how about the volume controller through RS232.. where you able to do so for the audio 6x6 matrix?  I agree with you on the video matrix, I have it setup in my home and it works like magic!.. love it!.. it is the audio matrix that I am struggling with.  any hint is highly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2021 at 4:58 PM, rayk32 said:

At the time of my install there was only a serial driver.  It has been nothing less than great and very responsive.  All of my equipment is in the same rack so I haven’t thought about the idea of changing to the IP driver

Have you been able to use the serial output on the receivers to control any devices? I'm reviewing documentation for my 8x16 Dolby Vision matrix from them and can't figure out how to control the serial out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.