C4 Forums | Control4

New controllers

adam333

2 hours ago, adam333 said:

Have an HC-800 and want to upgrade.  My installer said wait for a couple months a new one may be coming out.   Any word on this yet?

In the same boat just waiting Cedia and if not then it could be Feb 2020 (Think it was Jan for EA Controllers)

The typical rule in the past has been that if it's announced at CEDIA, it will be available for ordering within 30 days, although sometimes products are announced at CEDIA and available to order at announcement.

Of course, there are always exceptions, and I'm not making an official SnapAV/Control4 policy announcement.

:)

RyanE

31 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

New Controllers Coming - Dealers have been advised 

If this is true, I question why they even wasted production time and effort on the V2 EA controllers.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and it's sort of frustrating as someone who recently bought an EA5-V2 with hopes that it would be future proof for a while.

1 hour ago, therockhr said:

i would have thought they would have went another year or 2 before they made new controllers.

EA's were released Jan 2016
HC 800 released Jan 2012

so 2019/2020 to me always seemed likely given how technology is turning over at a faster rate and the EA controllers are still behind re: video quality, etc.

2 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

New Controllers Coming - Dealers have been advised 

I have not heard a thing about anything as always the case. But with the life cycle of past products. I would say the ea series has at least a year before a new release. My best bet may be on a remote. As always c4 is tight lipped.

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

EA's were released Jan 2016
HC 800 released Jan 2012

so 2019/2020 to me always seemed likely given how technology is turning over at a faster rate and the EA controllers are still behind re: video quality, etc.

I guess I would have just thought that they would be putting all resources behind the new remotes instead of a new controller.

10 minutes ago, therockhr said:

I guess I would have just thought that they would be putting all resources behind the new remotes instead of a new controller.

maybe they had an SR-270 ready to roll with the guts and they are just using the Neeo hardware, or maybe even with additional resources they couldn't get it in time and maybe for the conference in February?

I would strongly suspect a new remote, which will likely be Neeo based. 

My question to myself is whether I'm going to buy one. Neeo was well-known for having unstable software. Given the short time frame that has progressed since the acquisition, I question whether that issue has been resolved. But who am I kidding--I'm probably still going to buy one anyway!

5 minutes ago, terminaldisclaimer said:

I would strongly suspect a new remote, which will likely be Neeo based. 

My question to myself is whether I'm going to buy one. Neeo was well-known for having unstable software. Given the short time frame that has progressed since the acquisition, I question whether that issue has been resolved. But who am I kidding--I'm probably still going to buy one anyway!

well this would run C4 software, not Neeo software.  So if they take the pretty Neeo design and add the C4 software, maybe we get the best of both worlds (not that C4 software/hardware is 100% perfect either but from what I gather its better than Neeo)

I suspect a new remote as well.  I'm also thinking they will release OS 3.1 which will fix some of 3.0's issues including (but not limited to!) the missing "stuff" from the OSD and *hopefully* a faster app load on iOS.  There is also the mysterious T4.. which we have heard was killed, but, who knows..

Curious, what do you want, is missing, from the EA controllers?

I'll grant you 4K resolution output. But besides that, what features, hardware options, inputs/outputs do you think would be needed that aren't today?

From a processor standpoint, seems there's plenty of horsepower, so other than chip supplier life cycle availability necessitating a board redesign...?

12 hours ago, control4user007 said:

Wanna take bets on Cedia surprises?

-New controller(s)

-New remote(s) (NEEO)?

-New OS Update (3.1)?

-All of the above?

RyanE is out of course 😊

Seeing as you ask...

1. OS3.1 is a no brainer as a new iOS app has been in Beta release for weeks and there is almost always a new OS release at CEDIA.

2. If @Gary Leeds UK says dealers have been advised of a new controller release then I am pretty sure that is accurate.  His sources are good although he probably should not be publicly stating this 🤐

3. My personal view is that OS3 has been designed for a screen where the aspect ratio gives slightly more height relative to width... there are too many case where you have to scroll down half a cm to get everything on the screen, so my money is on a T4 with better resolution, a slightly different aspect ratio and Alexa built in...

4. Remote - I am 50/50 on this one.  I am also 50/50 on whether they will improve things with a new remote or make it worse!

Sadly, I don’t need any of the above but will probably buy one of each, if released...

27 minutes ago, RAV said:

Curious, what do you want, is missing, from the EA controllers?

I'll grant you 4K resolution output. But besides that, what features, hardware options, inputs/outputs do you think would be needed that aren't today?

From a processor standpoint, seems there's plenty of horsepower, so other than chip supplier life cycle availability necessitating a board redesign...?

4k would be the big one.  Otherwise it is up to C4 to wow us with some surprises, otherwise they will not move product.  Maybe better zigbee antennas or extra I/O's or a built in battery back up - I mean who knows.  They also may want to attract customers on an HC800 who do not want to upgrade to a ~3 year old device knowing there is only 3-4 years left of support based on past support timelines.  100% that is why I am not using an EA3/5 right now.  I do not mind a 7-9 year support cycle, but I certainly would not buy 3-4 years into that cycle.  They could almost take the EA5, toss in 4k to make it an EA6 and I'd be sold just so I know I have more of a support arc for the purchase.

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

1. OS3.1 is a no brainer as it has been in Beta release for weeks (multiple versions).

Not confirming or denying, but if you were included as part of any theoretical beta, this single line would break the beta agreement, and if you're not part of a beta, someone telling you this would be breaking their beta agreement...

RyanE

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

Not confirming or denying, but if you were included as part of any theoretical beta, this single line would break the beta agreement, and if you're not part of a beta, someone telling you this would be breaking their beta agreement...

RyanE

Control4 is pretty strict on leaks and those who break their beta agreements get into pretty big trouble including termination of dealership.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.