C4 Forums | Control4

Audio Upgrade away from Sonos

Time2Jet

I am considering dumping my house full of sonos for a C4 solution.  Right now I have 2 soundbars (2 locations, one of which has a sub and two sonos ones).  I want more integratability, so I need some recommendations for solutions.  I would love to do in-ceilings at bathrooms, kitchen etc.  I still want to maintain a soundbar solution in the 5.1 zone (and I may leave the sonos soundbar in my daughters room.  That room has dimmers and fan control, but I never integrated her TV, etc.

Can someone sort of plan this out for me so I understand it?  I will be looking to do my loft, kitchen, 4 baths.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, time2jet said:

Can I use the streaming apps from my EA5 to play to 4 zones with the Triad 4 zone Power Amp?  This is where it's confusing to me.  What about speakers?  All have to be wired?  

Do you already have in-ceiling speakers in the rooms?  If so, are the speaker wires already ran directly back to your rack where your amps/controller/matrix would live?

To have full flexibility, you need the EA5 (sources the streams), an amp (you already mention you have a Triad 4 zone power amp?), and a Triad 8x8 matrix.  The matrix will allow you to play any of the EA5 streams in any of your zones and also have discrete volume control in each zone.

You can then use the C4 app to control the audio zones (join zones, control volume, etc).

2 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

Do you already have in-ceiling speakers in the rooms?  If so, are the speaker wires already ran directly back to your rack where your amps/controller/matrix would live?

To have full flexibility, you need the EA5 (sources the streams), an amp (you already mention you have a Triad 4 zone power amp?), and a Triad 8x8 matrix.  The matrix will allow you to play any of the EA5 streams in any of your zones and also have discrete volume control in each zone.

You can then use the C4 app to control the audio zones (join zones, control volume, etc).

Thanks Loller.  I do not have those speakers installed, but can.  

9 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

You may also look into the Triad One which is similar to a Sonos Connect-Amp, but integrates into C4 directly -- if you are not able to install in-ceiling speakers and run wires in a zone.

Loller, this is where I get confused.  What I think you are saying is that the Traid One would be installed locally in each zone, but I'd still have to pull wires to it's location?  Is there a Triad wireless solution? - Wireless in terms of speakers.  One zone will require 5.1, is that possible with C4?

Yeah - the Triad One would be installed locally in each zone.  You would pull wires from your speakers in that room to the Triad One - not back to your rack.  

Triad does not have a "wireless speaker" solution that I am aware of.  I think the One is the closest thing you will find in that regard.

3 minutes ago, time2jet said:

One zone will require 5.1, is that possible with C4?

You'll want to keep an AVR for the 5.1 zone. 

At this point, you can connect the outputs of the AVR handling the 5.1 zone into an input on your audio matrix.  This will allow you to play local 5.1 sources through your entire home.

You can also connect an output on your audio matrix to an input on your AVR which would allow you to play your other matrix sources (EA5 streams, etc) though your 5.1 zone.

Thanks Loller.  I do need a 5.1 setup in one zone.  Is there an all C4 or Triad solution?  I do have a Denon 13.2 X8500 system pushing another room, but I cannot think of a way to have to drive the 5.1 zone, I think I have an older Pioneer VSK-1021 laying around.  The video is 1080p, but I wouldn't be using that.  For what I am doing, that sound from the Pioneer should be perfectly fine.  I will to add a 2nd Rack or put another unit on top of mine.  Pretty soon I won't be able to reach the higher equipment!

1 hour ago, time2jet said:

Thanks Loller.  I do need a 5.1 setup in one zone.  Is there an all C4 or Triad solution?  I do have a Denon 13.2 X8500 system pushing another room, but I cannot think of a way to have to drive the 5.1 zone, I think I have an older Pioneer VSK-1021 laying around.  The video is 1080p, but I wouldn't be using that.  For what I am doing, that sound from the Pioneer should be perfectly fine.  I will to add a 2nd Rack or put another unit on top of mine.  Pretty soon I won't be able to reach the higher equipment!

No - there isn't a all-in-one C4 solution for a 5.1 zone.  You will be happiest with a C4-integrated AVR handling this zone; either local to the zone or placed in your rack.  

The x8500 is a beast, but it won't be able to handle a 13.2 zone + another 5.1 zone.  As long as there is a driver for that VSK-1021 (hopefully IP), you should be able to control it with C4.  I don't really know anything about Pioneer unfortunately.  

Are you doing video distribution or will your video sources be local?  Do you need 4K in the bedroom?  Just trying to figure out why you don't want to deal with 1080p?

If you need 4K, I would probably pick one of these up:  https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1400h/denon-avr-x1400h-7.2-ch-x-80-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

4 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

Are you doing video distribution or will your video sources be local?  Do you need 4K in the bedroom?  Just trying to figure out why you don't want to deal with 1080p?

If you need 4K, I would probably pick one of these up:  https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1400h/denon-avr-x1400h-7.2-ch-x-80-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

Distribution via HDBaseT Loller.  I watch a lot of 4K, and I have a 65Q9F Qled there, so it's nice to have the best possible picture.  I do not use the TV apps, but Roku also matrixed to that zone now via the Denon zone2.

21 hours ago, time2jet said:

Distribution via HDBaseT Loller.  I watch a lot of 4K, and I have a 65Q9F Qled there, so it's nice to have the best possible picture.  I do not use the TV apps, but Roku also matrixed to that zone now via the Denon zone2.

I think denon zone2 is 1080p only..

I think denon zone2 is 1080p only..

I’d be surprised Anup. I think that Dolby Vision isn’t supported on Zone 2 if I’m not mistaken. @jdsmoothie over at AVS is an expert. I’m going to ask him.

Regardless, this issue is driving me insane I integrate Wed/Thur and really want to do this right. I have a very difficult to retro area. So, I want to cable once.

Crazy question, but what about Zone 2 audio for those two speakers. I need a second zone for the MBR, but a run a Sonos System in there and only use the AVR to matrix a dedicated TiVo Box and a shared BluRay Player. I bet I can get some sort of controllable small HDMI matrix and bring those two (TiVo and BluRay) via the same HDBaseT extender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.