C4 Forums | Control4

AV Distribution Issue

Hi All

I"m having a situation and I wanted to run past you all for some advice.  This has been working for 5 years and my Theater room is set up almost exactly the same with the exception of the AVR (Integra) and the display uses a newer TV with IP control.

I'm using a binary 8x8 hdbaset matrix and I have one room (Family Room) that has stopped working.  Here is the setup for that room.

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> 5.1 Speakers

HD Matrix  ---hdmi--->  Denon 3310 AVR  ---hdmi--->  B 520 TX ---cat6\ir---> B 500 RX ---hdmi\ir---> Samsung TV

HC800 -------------------------------------ir----------------------------------->|

I"m not getting picture or sound in the family room.  Here are a few things I've done to start troubleshooting.  

1. swapped the b520 tx from the theater and I get the same behavior in both rooms, theater continues to work and family room doesn't, should eliminate the transmitter
  2. re terminated both ends of the cat6, plugged this cat6 into a switch and plugged my laptop in, ran speed test and cable seems good, should eliminate the cat6
  3. swapped in a new b 500 rx, same behavior, but haven't tried ether of the b500rx new or old in any other location, nor have I updated firmware.

Some observations so far:

1. I am not getting the same link light behavior on the b520 tx, when i compare the rooms.  On the working room, the lights are solid.  On the non working room it blinks green, or sometimes not at all.  when i switch cables the behavior moves.  Incidentally this has remained pretty much the same since before and after I re-terminated the cat6.
  2. If i have the family room on, i get no sound and no picture, if i cut power to the b 500 rx, the sound starts up on the 5.1, but obviously no picture.
  3. The ir flasher turns the tv on.

Today the plan is to inspect the Denon AVR settings.  Try to use a different input or output on the denon if I can.  Then try to isolate the Denon by using the integra in that room.  However I don't think any of these things explain the link lights.

At this point I'm running out of ideas, it worked one day and not the next.  The setup has remained pretty static for quire some time.  with the exception of changing our cable boxes to the Xfinity X1 from their old platform.  I was thinking maybe something with EDID, but all the other rooms work, all the TVs are samsung, all the RX are the same kind of unit, also the family room has worked since the cable was upgraded.

I could really use some advice on this one.

I personnaly prefer not running video through the AVR and to the TV when using a matrix. If you have enough outputs the AVR should get its own feed from the matrix as well as the tv.

Sounds like the cable between the baluns has been damaged maybe. Try running a temporary cable from balun to balun to see if you get it going again.

ok I ran a temp cable from the matrix to the rx balun and same behavior.  That would eliminate the denon, as well as the cable in the wall in my mind.  I've also bypassed the denon by putting the original cable staight to the matrix.

a new observation:  i'm getting no sound on my deck, but i get a picture, but only if i've selected the new cable boxes.  If i select the appletv i get sound.

This is starting to seem more and more like an EDID issue?

So let’s back up, what did you change that the issue started?

it says Denon, yet you state Integra AVR. Sounds like you have some binding / endpoint issues in the program when you swapped the equipment. 

Get the remote for the matrix and see if you can get video to pass

also, I agree AVR > Matrix is bad form. Should be Matrix > AVR otherwise you get double matrix issues inside C4 logic 

I changed the cable boxes, from the old comcast platform to the x1 platform.  The issues didn't start immediately though.

It is a denon, in the room that isn't working.  My theater room is a very similar set up except the AVR is in Integra in that room.  My only point was that the wiring schematic is the same and that setup works, it probably doesn't matter.  Forget the integra  😁

the output goes from source to matrix then to avr then to baluns.  it isn't setup how you stated. 

I should be able to elimnate binding issues by manually switching the Matrix.  I'll test that and report back.

the only thing I can get to work is if I plug stuff straight into the TV.  I'm gonna retest a few of these things, but at this point I'm out of ideas.  

Today my IR bud is just flashing.  and now I"m not getting a consistent link light on the baluns.  I tried a third different cat 6 between the baluns.  

Every other room continues to work, with every source.  

the saga continues...I spent this morning doing more and repeating some of my testing.  i've done my best to isolate each of these test.

What i know:  

• known working cat6 cables do not work on the Family room. 
  • Known working Rx baluns do not work on this Family room. 
  • Know working Tx baluns do not work on the Family room
  • I re-wired the thearter to use my denon, and that works. So known working AVR doesn't work on the Family room.
  • The family Room uses output 1 on my matrix.  I set up the theater to use output 1 and that works, HDbaseT and HDMI.
  • If i put devices on the tv directly they work

What am I missing here?

19 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

its a process the matrix will go through to sync it with all devices. the method and operation differs for each brand and model.

that makes sense, was hoping you might know a way to force this on my matrix.  I didn't see anything in the manual.

so, this is fixed, in case anyone was having anxiety about it.  😁

it turned out to be the power supply for the rx balun behind my tv.  I had swapped the baluns but kept using the same power supply.  I should have known to try a new one since it was a separate component on the balun.  This one made me feel like an idiot.

12 minutes ago, Adidaswood said:

so, this is fixed, in case anyone was having anxiety about it.  😁

it turned out to be the power supply for the rx balun behind my tv.  I had swapped the baluns but kept using the same power supply.  I should have known to try a new one since it was a separate component on the balun.  This one made me feel like an idiot.

its the simple things in life

• 4 months later...
On 9/9/2019 at 12:09 PM, Matt Lowe said:

its the simple things in life

Matt, I had the same problem this week, mysteriously stopped working. Pulled my hair out until I found your thread, I was using the same methods as you and couldn't solve the mystery. Thanks for the posting, and thanks for everyone who replied, saved me more pain!

Did you replace the bad power supply and if so, do you have a part number for that power supply? I have lost two power supplies now, but the baluns are both good, don't want to waste them.

Picture attached is the PS and the balun, since these seem to be very sensitive I want to make sure I have the exact PS but can't find the one pictured in a google search. I can get close, but figured I'd ask you all as the experts.

IMG_8355.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.