C4 Forums | Control4

Delay with Panasonic UHD Bluray driver

Hi,

I have a Panasonic UHD Bluray DP-UB820 player, my installer used the DP-UB9000 ip driver (they are very similar players) its works...except it seems to randomly get delayed (ie I pause it and it will take 30 seconds before it actually pauses, if I hit the button twice it will resume playing again after a second or so), more often than not if I'm pressing the buttons a lot its fine if I haven't pressed on in a while very frequently the first press is delayed.

I have IP drivers for a few other devices and they all work fine.

As such I'm pretty sure the problem is not with my network or any control4 hardware. I can stream 4k Netflix on this device so I'm quite certain its connectivity is also fine.

My guess is there's some flaky about the driver, but I can't really rule out my Panasonic unit having an issue with it (although it would oddly only affect its ability to receive IP based directives), or potentially the model differentiation causing the problem.

Documentation says: Version 104

You figure this out? I just got the 820 and can’t seem to get it working with the 9000 IP driver.  In the 9000 driver instructions it claims there are c4 specific menus with SDDP options - however on the 820 I don’t see anything resembling.  Can you share how you got this working ?

I noticed some network specific standby options in the menus - perhaps you’re device is going to sleep?

I think the trick to get it to work at all was enabling the voice control (ie like alexa, google) I don't have any of those systems but once I enabled that it worked.

It still randomly delays, please let me know if you have the same issue (once you get it working).

And you’re sure you’re using the IP driver ? I’ve tried all sorts of stuff including enabling voice control. About to return the 820 and get the 9000 for this reason alone. A little frustrated.

dont mean to tangent on your issue. Did you look if you had any network standby functionality enabled ?

This isn't an answer, but:

When they installed my system (including a UB-820), they tried the UB-9000 IP Driver, but couldn't get it working properly (I forget the details why).

They then installed an IR driver for a different Panasonic player, and it works fine.  I've had to edit a few commands to get everything I needed, but once done, it's all good.

I've checked through the menu's nothing obvious to me.

DId you set up an account here after enabling the voice control:

(ok that URL is not working for me, it gave it in the menus for the 820 or something similar)

Also make sure you have the right static IP address and your DNS is valid (maybe the latter doesn't matter but I would guess) and you have the latest firmware updates. I can take screen shots of my relevant screens if you think that would be helpful.

I'm also wired not wireless. (although I don't think that would technically matter either but I've experienced worse latency issues with wireless).

5 hours ago, Fox said:

Sorry I tried to paste a URL but it wouldn't let me.

Don, were you able to remap any keys with the generic driver?

Yes.  As I'm now working for Audio Advice, a Home Integrator company, I have Composer Pro on my Desktop, and can tweak things as I learn how.

One thing I wanted was to access the "Playback Info," present on the Panny remote, which brings up 2 screens addressing HDR parameters and HDR Metadata.  I edited the Driver for the SR-260's "Info" button, manually inputting the signal from the Panny remote to the EA-3, to teach it the correct command for what I wanted.  Works fine.

I also wanted quick access to the Dynamic Range Slider (for tweaking this setting when watching HDR content on my JVC RS400), so first created a macro of button pushes to bring it up, and then assigned this Macro to the "*" key.  I'd prefer direct access, but I have been unable to find a discrete code to directly access that menu.

Hope this helps!

Don

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

To follow up on this:

I have the UB820, using an IR Driver, and it works fine.

But I'm wanting to help someone else who also has a UB820, but wants to use the UB9000 IP Driver.  So I thought I would add it to my system, and see how it works, but I can't figure out any way to 'connect' my UB820 to the UB9000 IP Driver.  The Documentation indicates it must be added to the Project using SDDP, and since the UB820 doesn't seem to be capable of generating the necessary signal, I can't move past this.  When the Driver is added Manually, there's no way I can see to enter a MAC or IP address to establish the control connection.

Is it possible to work around this SDDP requirement, and use the UB9000 IP Driver with the UB820?  And if so, how?  I think it is possible (since I think my company tried it out when they did the original install), but I can't figure out how.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Don Cohen said:

To follow up on this:

I have the UB820, using an IR Driver, and it works fine.

But I'm wanting to help someone else who also has a UB820, but wants to use the UB9000 IP Driver.  So I thought I would add it to my system, and see how it works, but I can't figure out any way to 'connect' my UB820 to the UB9000 IP Driver.  The Documentation indicates it must be added to the Project using SDDP, and since the UB820 doesn't seem to be capable of generating the necessary signal, I can't move past this.  When the Driver is added Manually, there's no way I can see to enter a MAC or IP address to establish the control connection.

Is it possible to work around this SDDP requirement, and use the UB9000 IP Driver with the UB820?  And if so, how?  I think it is possible (since I think my company tried it out when they did the original install), but I can't figure out how.

Thanks.

Uhm. A YEAR later?

So you're working for a dealer right?

No-one there can show you how to enter an IP on a basic IP driver in a system?

I assume you don't do installs but sales or some other work there?

Have a look under connections - network. If you can't figure it out from there I would ask that you remove ComposerPro from your computer.

Yes I know that sounds harsh. Sorry not sorry.

23 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Uhm. A YEAR later?

So you're working for a dealer right?

No-one there can show you how to enter an IP on a basic IP driver in a system?

I assume you don't do installs but sales or some other work there?

Have a look under connections - network. If you can't figure it out from there I would ask that you remove ComposerPro from your computer.

Yes I know that sounds harsh. Sorry not sorry.

Yes, a bit harsh.  Yes, I'm in Sales.  I haven't looked at this in a year because I've been happily using the IR Driver.  Only looking at it now since I was asked about this by someone else on the forum who in turn is trying to help his father in a fairly isolated area.  So trying to do someone a favor.

I had forgotten about the Network Tab when configuring Connections, so now see how to get the IP Connection, since the Driver didn't allow for it directly.  Yes, I should have seen that.  I'm still learning, which is part of my enjoyment of this field (a second career for me, after retiring from my first one).

So thanks for pointing me in the right direction, which could have done without the personal insult.

1 hour ago, Don Cohen said:

So thanks for pointing me in the right direction, which could have done without the personal insult.

Nah, it really couldn't have been because this would have been something your work should have been able to tell you.

Oh they likely would have made fun of you, but there it is.

Then again, before giving you access to Pro, they should have trained you to a degree this question would not have been asked to begin with. So the 'personal' insult is just as much pointed at them as you.

49 minutes ago, Pounce said:

I guess the community might feel a little used if the first line of support on using composer wasn't your own technical resources at your dealer. I think you did a good job taking it in stride.

Fair point.  I have a somewhat unique relationship with my company, and am very reluctant to take their time away from their busy jobs to help me on a personal level.  I joined this community to learn, contribute where I occasionally can, and perhaps it is a bit unfair of me to ask for help.  I've seen this forum the same way I see the AVS Forum, where I've participated significantly for a number of years.  But thinking about it, they're not quite the same, and I'll be a bit more circumspect when asking a question.

I've just been dealing with my annoyance so if someone is able to come up with a fix that would be appreciated. I haven't updated any software on my system for sometime, not sure if moving to v3 might help or if there's any other updates out there.

• 3 months later...
On 9/7/2019 at 5:11 AM, Don Cohen said:

This isn't an answer, but:

When they installed my system (including a UB-820), they tried the UB-9000 IP Driver, but couldn't get it working properly (I forget the details why).

They then installed an IR driver for a different Panasonic player, and it works fine.  I've had to edit a few commands to get everything I needed, but once done, it's all good.

Hi Don, I recently got the IR driver for Panasonic UB820 player installed, but could not get the Return and Home buttons on the Panasonic remote mapped to Control4. Have you been able to configure this and if so advise on how to go about this? Thanks. 

37 minutes ago, spv said:

Hi Don, I recently got the IR driver for Panasonic UB820 player installed, but could not get the Return and Home buttons on the Panasonic remote mapped to Control4. Have you been able to configure this and if so advise on how to go about this? Thanks. 

PM sent.

• 2 months later...
On 10/20/2020 at 8:34 PM, Don Cohen said:

PM sent.

Hi Don,

On October 20 you responded to a question about using the IR driver for a Panasonic 820 and mapping the home button and the return button to C4 for as per the messages above. Could you send me the response? I have the same exact problem - thanks very much in advance.

1 hour ago, N Heyden said:

Hi Don,

On October 20 you responded to a question about using the IR driver for a Panasonic 820 and mapping the home button and the return button to C4 for as per the messages above. Could you send me the response? I have the same exact problem - thanks very much in advance.

PM sent.

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, gmontgomery said:

Which IR driver are you guys using that works with this model?  We've tried a few but Power on Off doesn't seem to line up.  Thanks.

Greg

I've used 2 Drivers - one is based on the Panasonic DMP-BDT350 IR Driver, and the other was created from scratch.  So you may need to 'teach' this, or any other commands that you need, using the actual IR Remote for the player, if the built-in one doesn't work properly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.