C4 Forums | Control4

Timer programming question

Nehsmit

Im trying to program a light to turn on with certain motion and shut off 10 minutes later. I know how to get the light on and off but cant figure out how and where to insert" after 10 minutes turn off light". Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, dcovach said:

Another counter intuitive way that is taught at dealer training...

Create a 10 minute timer using the timer agent

When motion occurs -->stop that timer, turn on lights

When motion stops --> start that timer

When that timer expires --> turn off lights

OK - I'm curious why a timer needs to be stopped first? I get the "when motion stops" starting the timer.....

10 minutes ago, Kahn said:

OK - I'm curious why a timer needs to be stopped first? I get the "when motion stops" starting the timer.....

It doesn't necessarily stop first. I just happened to write that line first. Each line is spread out in 3 different places.  This type of programming is starting a timer when no motion is detected.  Every time it detects motion the timer stops.  

A "delay" will halt any programming below that line until the delay is complete.  Consider it like a pause.  Not a big deal for what you're doing but it's not really the best way to use a delay.

Programming continues to run below any code using timers

The programming I showed several conversations above is your typical "occupancy timer" for motion.

Delays have better use cases in programming.

A "delay" will halt any programming below that line until the delay is complete.  Consider it like a pause.  Not a big deal for what you're doing but it's not really the best way to use a delay.
Programming continues to run below any code using timers
The programming I showed several conversations above is your typical "occupancy timer" for motion.
Delays have better use cases in programming.

Point taken. Thank you for the clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.