C4 Forums | Control4

C4 vs the rest

Matt Falce

4 hours ago, crazybuppie said:

The HC300 cannot be updated past 2.5.3. I agree with the instructions given above...once you get your system to zibgee pro and to 2.5.3, make a backup, remove the 300 and install an EA3. I think you'd have to reidentify all your zigbee devices but that can be done. 

But to echo what most people are saying, composer past 2.0 is licensed only to dealers. HE does a ton these days, so unless you swap your cable box weekly, i am not sure what advantage it would give you once your system is up and running on 3.0. 

Thank you 

18 hours ago, Drake0508 said:

And to strengthen that statement... another DIY platform is shutting down. This time it’s from the folks at Best Buy.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/6/20853671/best-buy-connect-insignia-smart-plug-wifi-freezer-mobile-app-shutdown-november-6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many times DIY, Plug&Play ( I call it Plug&Prey) they good for people who knows what do they do. it will never work as good as normally installed and configured system. too many 3rd part drivers, networking, timing, ETC. issues.

On 9/7/2019 at 4:41 PM, Matt Falce said:

That is what I was afraid of.  Are you saying my system will be dead after 2.5.3?  I know I will lose a few LCD touchscreen and 4 of my first generation remotes. I assumed everything else would work. 

nothing wrong with 2.5.3 Pretty stable OS. why do you need higher? do you install some new devices SO 2.5.3 doesn't have proper driver?

On 9/7/2019 at 9:35 PM, dcovach said:

Not necessarily. I'm available to work with new clients remotely on occasion.  If you're thinking of moving forward, PM me.

wow. are you going to upgrade Embernet to Zigbee remotely??? 1.7.4 doesn't support any remote access..... there is a way to do it, but it is risky.

5 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Sure if you want to update to a Feb 2014 release that is already outdated....

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

yep. you are right, but otherwise

1. he is going to lose some equipment except controller, he mentioned touchscreen and etc. ( may be some hc-200 in the picture?)

2. 2.5.3 pretty stable and hc-800 can work with it. I think it even can work with 2.3.0 but it is too old. 

Unless client is ready to spend money on EA-3/5 and new set of touchscreens ( which away better and fancier) 

Just offered one of solutions..

IMHO - the update is a PITA - not impossible, but not easy.  But I wouldn't stay in 2.5.3.  If I were going to update I would go current.  Clearly 1.7.4 treated you well but why start with technology that is already End-of-life.  That is never good advice, IMHO.  All the hardware will be used and have questionable life left and software with known defects....just seems silly to me.

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

IMHO - the update is a PITA - not impossible, but not easy.  But I wouldn't stay in 2.5.3.  If I were going to update I would go current.  Clearly 1.7.4 treated you well but why start with technology that is already End-of-life.  That is never good advice, IMHO.  All the hardware will be used and have questionable life left and software with known defects....just seems silly to me.

Thank you for your input 

The higher version gives you more features of this toy. I upgraded mine from 2.9 to 2.10 for the fact that I like the T3s to show off my landscape and family photos through out the house, in addition I like the intercom anywhere which introduces only at 2.10.3 or above. So, it's all depend on what you plan to use C4 for, and don't forget that C4 does end of life their products, which means when you  decided to pass 2.9, they no longer support older HCs and TS.. etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.