C4 Forums | Control4

TP-Link Motion Sensors

Time2Jet

Good morning everyone.

I’m considering adding a few motion sensors to my project.

These -

TP-Link MS100 Smart Motion Sensor connects via Zigbee

They’re so inexpensive. Anyone had luck with them? I do have the Chowmain TP-Link driver working nicely with some outlets and bulbs in my project. The proposed motion sensors will fire some Caseta switches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are zigbee or WiFi? I can’t see how they will work if they are zigbee.

You were right. They are actually Zigbee and require a router. So, I have to rethink this. I’m looking for a sensor to fire some lights (ie walk into the kitchen at night).

1 hour ago, time2jet said:

You were right. They are actually Zigbee and require a router. So, I have to rethink this. I’m looking for a sensor to fire some lights (ie walk into the kitchen at night).

why not look at NYCE or Axxess?  They have c4 Zigbee already installed.

http://nycesensors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/NCZ-3041-Feature-Sheet-2015-06-02.pdf

They have a C4 version and a non C4 version.  The cheaper non C4 version works with SmartThings so if you want to go DIY get a SmartThings hub and the non C4 ones.  If you want native quick install/support have a dealer order the C4 ones.

The Axxess ones are a bit bigger but have more features

https://www.axxind.com/smarthome/motion-sensor/

5 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

why not look at NYCE or Axxess?  They have c4 Zigbee already installed.

http://nycesensors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/NCZ-3041-Feature-Sheet-2015-06-02.pdf

They have a C4 version and a non C4 version.  The cheaper non C4 version works with SmartThings so if you want to go DIY get a SmartThings hub and the non C4 ones.  If you want native quick install/support have a dealer order the C4 ones.

The Axxess ones are a bit bigger but have more features

https://www.axxind.com/smarthome/motion-sensor/

Thanks @eggzlot

This is what I had originally assumed, but then I got all of this Kasa/TP stuff in my project that works really well with Alan's driver, so I thought I'd put it out there.

I don't know which direction to go, axxess versus nyce, I'm only using them to control lighting at this point.  Mitch suggested the NYCE.  Regardless, I would always do the C4 versions.

36 minutes ago, time2jet said:

Thanks @eggzlot

This is what I had originally assumed, but then I got all of this Kasa/TP stuff in my project that works really well with Alan's driver, so I thought I'd put it out there.

I don't know which direction to go, axxess versus nyce, I'm only using them to control lighting at this point.  Mitch suggested the NYCE.  Regardless, I would always do the C4 versions.

if you need simple motion, nyce is fine, small and compact.

if you want more complex - axxess.  i am just an end user so cannot speak from the dealer side - but axxess lets you set motion sensitivity (in case you didnt want a 20 lb dog to set off your motion sensor for example) and they also have temp and some have temp + humidity as well built in.  its a bigger unit, not big but 2-3x the size of the nyce sensor which is basically sense motion yes/no.

7 hours ago, time2jet said:

Do you have Philips Hue in your project?

I did.  I dumped Philips for TP-Link.  For the life of me I could not position the Philips bridge so that all would function.  No luck.  Seems like the TP-Link stuff works great so far.

Gotcha. It’s definitely spotty for some but the motion sensors work well of you have good zigbee coverage.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.