C4 Forums | Control4

Waiting for network on remote? Proposed solution.

John Estock

Turned one of our four TV’s on with remote, message on remote “waiting for network “, when I tried to turn the TV off. I’m being told by an installer after checking the programming and the rest of the system that the problem is the controller, does that make sense? I’m not at all technically knowledgeable about this stuff so I’m looking for some advice from unbiased contributors to this forum. My system is pretty straight forward:

4 TV’s in four rooms throughout our spacious house. 4,000+ sq ft.

5 speakers in main family room, no separate speakers in other rooms 

3 cable boxes

1 Blu-ray

1 Apple TV unit

1 Binary B500 matrix 8x8

1 control 4 controller HC something 

1 Sony multichannel AV receiver

No plans to expand system 

The installer is recommending a new EA 5 controller to fix the problem. Based on what I’ve read on this forum that seems like overkill assuming the problem is the controller and not something else less expensive to fix. 

Unbiased advice on this problem and proposed solution would be greatly appreciated. 

JGE

How far away are you from the controller (with the remote that is waiting for network)

Did your installer install the extended zigbee antenna on the processor... (Small black puck with a 3 meter length extension cable?)

Possible solution:

Adding some light switch/dimmers or keypads in the middle between the processor and remote would help the zigbee network.  Cheaper than a new processor and adds light into the mix.

This would help the remote to talk to the controller...

Let us know...

1 hour ago, OceanDad said:

Or add a Z2IO or two in the middle and make use of its repeater mode.  For sure, a 4000 square foot house with just one controller and nothing else in the Zigbee mesh sounds like a stretch.  

This.

You have poor Zigbee signal strength. You need a Zigbee mesh. Adding lights or keypads throughout the house would solidify your Zigbee network and give you some added functionality.

Have you rebooted the controller

Its been mentioned to tou several times and you have yet to reply that you did that.  Also you have failed to reply to my basic questions of distance and such.  

And for your new quote. $200 an hour on programming is way more than the $125 an hour that we charge.....Did he state  .   this would fix it or your money back?  

Surprise me on your answer and actually have rebooted the processor and looked at all the questions everyone has asked, including me, and all the other pros on here  have asked and given you free time and respond accordingly.

Im skeptical that your system, without anything other zigbee devices, besides the processor has been solid for 5 years.

Thank you all for your help.

One of the first things we did was reboot the controller with no change. Distance from HC800 to zigbee in far end of house is maybe 90 feet. To be clear, all of our remotes show the “waiting for network” error message not just the remote farthest from the HC800. Also system was working just fine until I tried to turn off one of the TV’s.

Not sure about the zigbee on the processor. I just know there is a zigbee  (little black puck with small antenna and blue light) at far end of house.

A technician from the installer company was at our house and ran through a bunch of tests but didn’t suggest any of the ideas offered to extend the zigbee mesh. 

I fine it hard to believe I need a new controller. Like most of the responses it seems to me to be a device communication issue. 

I’ll pass on your ideas to see how the installer responds. I’m also going to get a second opinion. 

If I do need a new controller is the recommended EA5 overkill for the set up described above?

Again thank you all for your ideas and your interest in helping a non- techie deal with this problem.

Does this look like what you have?

https://www.control4.com/docs/product/zigbee-extender-3/data-sheet/english/revision/A/zigbee-extender-3-data-sheet-rev-a.pdf

This helps to "extend" the zigbee, but it should be closer to the processor, rather than at the other end of the house.... think of it as a relay race..or a hand off of such.  Try bringing the zigbee extender, if that's what you have, closer towards the processor.  Within 40-50  feet would be optimal. but Ive seen them work further without obstructions. The zigbee will have to readjust after this,.  This may solve your issues, and may not.

If you take the remote in the closest room to the equipment, closer to the processor does it find the network..?

I still run an HC800 for my entire house, but I also have 40+ dimmers and switches and thermostats so my mesh it very solid..  I wouldn't give up on the 800 yet.

You do have a very sparse setup (zigbee wise), and the recommendations for Z2IO and other dimmer/switch additions are great suggestions.  Especially since the Z2IO are on the hardwired network and would act as  repeaters for your processor which equals better coverage away from the equipment.

** You still need to find the version of the OS on the processor   ie.. 2.53, 2.6, 2.9, 2.10 etc... 

I would like to see you have a better experience with Control4 than what you have gone through recently, so id be more than happy to look at your system remotely.  If you want you can PM me and I can explain how we can do this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.