C4 Forums | Control4

OS3.1?

Looking forward to the update and agree with @Dunamivora if it has any of the "under the hood" improvements like what they did for the updated C4 app speed then I would be all in. 

For me not to interested in the new controllers the EA5's are doing a great job in my house. More interested in the integration of other devices into the system, the power of the system is with this not with propitiatory kit that everyone loves to hate.  Maybe the CA-10's are aimed at the commercial installs.

Given that the 2n Verso IP (aka, C4 Door station) is  such a complicated bit of kit and horrendously expensive (see my comments below) I am wondering with the intercom opening up to "normal" door stations, starts to show a move away from the 2n devices. I would of loved to see remotes tbh. As much as I love my T3's (well love is a strong word as they frustrate the @#@ out of me some times), I want something nice I can just pick up and use. The SR260 has been that for years but it almost feels like I am using a IBM Mainframe with xTerm each time to use a state of the art system .....

*Door station rant - is relevant to this post since they opening up intercom to other door stations* 

The C4 door station is an incredible bit of kit it really is, the actual features that it provides even if they not integrated into C4 is insane. The modules you get to add on to it are endless and frankly just sooooooooooo cool, I just bought the RFID tag and the touchscreen for it.

Here is where my hate comes in for it:

1. Support is sh1tty typical talk to your dealer (from 2n). You talk to a dealer its all software layer even if you know you have a hardware issue (in my case I was stupid and snapped off the connector that connects the keypad to the main board). The solution for the hardware issue is send it back to us and after 1 million weeks you will get it back. Mean while you install a $15 door bell and get use to it.

2. The main components (yes I did open it all up) are really top notch what you would expect from a $1700 bit of kit, and then they go use like 0.1c connectors they really crappy I am not saying that because I snapped it, I am saying that cause I love building my own electronics and know you can buy the 0.1c connector or the $10 connector or the $5000 connector. In this case even the $10 connector I would of rather paid for. 

I have eventually got mine back up and running on my own accord (yes I know warentee is gone etc but tbh warentee is sh1t starting off). I learnt every little bit of this thing what each track on the board does, what each capacitor, diode, resistor etc does. Was a great learning and now I can fix them :)

In relation to the intercom app being updated

Great move by C4 to open it up to other door bells I think 90% of the user base would use and be more than happy from normal doorbells i.e. ring type functionality. It also opens up a great niche for driver developers to integrate these doorbells into the system.

Would I still buy a DS2 - yes simply because I like gadgets :)

7 hours ago, Dunamivora said:

You'll likely want to update. x.1 is always better than x.0

New versions are not always better than old ones.  New versions can introduce new bugs, incompatibilities, etc.  It's usually a good idea to let new versions bake for a bit.  Sure, the hope is that minor version releases FIX these bugs, etc.. but that is not always the case.

43 minutes ago, therockhr said:

what manufacturers/vendors are they aiming for with opening up intercom anywhere to everyone?

Ill go ahead and say what most people are thinking...I wish they were able to get Ring to use it.

Confuses me.  I have a 2n Helios doorbell - I use the 2n Helios app instead of the intercom anywhere app.  still a 2 app solution.  I get calls to my c4 touchscreens and cell phones at the same exact time.  Not sure what I would be missing leaving the Helios app and what I would gain by moving over to the Intercom Anywhere app.  I think there may be a cost savings as 2n  Helios charges per device whereas I guess Intercom Anywhere is "free" with 4sight?  So I'd save about $150/year ish I think....

So I was updated to 3.1 but now my GE Concord security system is showing BUS failure and not recognized by Control4.  It's using the Interlogix driver which was literally just changed to with 3.0 so it was supported as the previous driver in the 2.x versions of firmware was not supported.  Seems everytime one thing is upgraded, another thing breaks with Control4.

3 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

New versions are not always better than old ones.  New versions can introduce new bugs, incompatibilities, etc.  It's usually a good idea to let new versions bake for a bit.  Sure, the hope is that minor version releases FIX these bugs, etc.. but that is not always the case.

Bet 3.1.1 is already in the works 

36 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

How would you know that? And 3.1.1, not a 3.2.0? Or  4.0.0?

3.1.1 is more likely to happen seeing is that there are already several bugs discovered in 3.1.0 (which goes back to my comment of the latest is hardly ever the greatest).

Assuming they are following semantic versioning [1] - so, yeah, 3.1.1 would make sense for a bugfix release.

[1] https://semver.org/

Love for a new remote, sr260 are horrible..  other than that system works good.  I can’t get into Alexa or any of the talking systems.  I’d rather just push a button on the remote and be done.  I don’t think I know anyone that actually uses Alexa.. everyone I know is still push button and turn on.

1 minute ago, CTO said:

Love for a new remote, sr260 are horrible..  other than that system works good.  I can’t get into Alexa or any of the talking systems.  I’d rather just push a button on the remote and be done.  I don’t think I know anyone that actually uses Alexa.. everyone I know is still push button and turn on.

I agree

I really only use Alexa for lights on/off.  Most other commands are either not intuitive or I forget the name of 1 of my 4 thermostats or something.  Its certainly getting better but for now, most stuff is either a button or just a motion/door sensor to control things.

Yeah its just easy to use remote or my phone to turn stuff on or off.. or just hit the switch.. It’s hard enough to remember what is controlling what and then trying to get my wife to learn it is even harder.. so i just stick with turn on and off..  everything else she just pushes switch to turn on and off lights and remote for tv.  Hard enough time trying to get her to switch from cable box to Apple TV.. lol..  so i just like it basic and simple.  I still love the old OS.. it was very easy to go from room to room etc.. now if I hit C4 I can’t change from room to room on the tV.. if you can i can’t figure it out so i gave up.. just use the remote and I can see everything..

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

I agree

I really only use Alexa for lights on/off.  Most other commands are either not intuitive or I forget the name of 1 of my 4 thermostats or something.  Its certainly getting better but for now, most stuff is either a button or just a motion/door sensor to control things.

totally agree - lights only.  And now Google Assistant. Unlike Alexa I never get the not responding and it just works!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.