C4 Forums | Control4

Managed 2 Blow up 2 controllers attempting device reset

Had issues with my DHCP Server yesterday and had to replace it. Strangely my silly Controllers (HC-800/ HC-250) would not talk to the new DHCP.

Now both controllers go through Power Cycle and then finally settle at just the blue light next to Power. 

What options do I have to recover? I see network exchange at the switch level. Tried different ports on the switch also.

I have Composer Pro. The IP Address were configured with DHCP reservations and now I have a new DHCP in place. I was unable to get the systems to pick up a new DHCP address, so I tried a Network Reset by holding the Identify Button. When that failed, I tried a factory reset and that is when it really all went down hill.

System Manager and Composer Pro are unable to see the device via SDDP. I will be calling Support shortly. Just figured I will ask.

Do you know for a fact that your new DHCP server is successfully handing out addresses to other devices on your network?  Is the DHCP scope set up properly with the correct subnet mask and default gateway?  FYI - the default gateway only matters if you need to talk outside of that specific network segment.  Can you look at the DHCP client table and associate the MAC address of your controller to a specific IP address? If I remember correctly the Control4 devices should be easy to identify in the DHCP client address table.  Once you've found the IP address associated to the controller make sure your PC running ComposerPro can ping the IP of the controller.  Once this is done successfully you should be able to put the IP in ComposerPro and connect to the controller.

13 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

If you factory reset, you wiped the project out of the controller.

If you're a dealer, you know how to get back up and running with the project file.

Otherwise, best of luck!

Assuming he backed up the project before wiping the controller.  😬

:D  Yeah.. The EA3 was running Director so my Project wasn't offline, just 2 of the 4 Controllers in the project. Seems like Control4 HC800 doesn't like the DHCP from the Cisco Switch. As soon as I installed OpenDHCP on my PC and connect the PC directly to Controller, it picked up DHCP address and I was able to use System Manager to set the IP Address. All is back online now after a few painful upgrades.

DHCP is working because all my other Clients are receiving IP Address. Just the 2 Controllers.

Thx for the responses

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.