C4 Forums | Control4

Connecting devices and home programming.

Carl Darby

Hi.

I moved into a house with Control4 and I'm now at the point where I would like to start using it more.

I wonder if I could get some advice about how I could achieve the following.

1) I would like to connect my smart phone / tablets to the system when at home on the same wifi. When I try to do this I am told that a licence is required. Which licence would this be - 4sight?

2) I would like to start updating settings such as times lights automatically turn on and off. I understand that there are 2 options, either use Home Composer or When>Then. If I go home composer, do I need a licence and where can I obtain the software?

3) When>Then (which comes as part of the 4sight subscription?) - I'd like to have a look into this, but my customer portal says I need to upgrade to OS3 (currently 2.9.1) before it will work. Is the upgrade an easy job (for the engineer) and is it something he could do from home? What would the normal cost be?

Many thanks for any replies.

28 minutes ago, Carl Darby said:

Hi.

I moved into a house with Control4 and I'm now at the point where I would like to start using it more.

I wonder if I could get some advice about how I could achieve the following.

1) I would like to connect my smart phone / tablets to the system when at home on the same wifi. When I try to do this I am told that a licence is required. Which licence would this be - 4sight?

2) I would like to start updating settings such as times lights automatically turn on and off. I understand that there are 2 options, either use Home Composer or When>Then. If I go home composer, do I need a licence and where can I obtain the software?

3) When>Then (which comes as part of the 4sight subscription?) - I'd like to have a look into this, but my customer portal says I need to upgrade to OS3 (currently 2.9.1) before it will work. Is the upgrade an easy job (for the engineer) and is it something he could do from home? What would the normal cost be?

Many thanks for any replies.

1) to connect on the same wifi network you just need the C4 app - you are on OS2 so find the OS2 app not the OS3 app.  If you want to use said app to connect while AWAY from home, you need the 4sight license

2) Composer HE is sold by dealers.  ITs $149 and includes 1 year free of 4sight too ($99) and HE for $149 is a 1 time fee, so if you want to keep 4sight in year 2, its another $99 but you still keep HE regardless.

3) When>Then needs 2.10 or higher I believe, not OS3 (3.0).  and 4sight too. So regardless you need an upgrade, which any dealer can do.  Cost is based on time, time is estimated based on the size/scope of your project, hardware and the type of upgrade required.   So if you buy Composer HE as mentioned above, you'll get 4sight too for a year, so you knock out two birds with 1 stone.

The tasks above can all be done by your current dealer or a new dealer - in c4 you can change if you want fairly easily.  It can also all be done remotely so your current or new dealer do not have to go to your home necessarily to do the work.  

Going to OS3 may or may not be a good option for you.  Depends on your controllers, touchscreens, etc.  It could be a small or very big ($$$) upgrade as HC800s only have limited function (can run the project but will not do on screen UI), HC250 will not work at all and the older touchscreens will not work (only T3s).  Going from 2.9.1 > 2.10 will likely have way less hardware implications and issues and should be relatively easy but I'll defer to the dealers to give you a better estimate.

You really should get a dealer.  You can either find one locally or hire one to work remotely - there are several dealers on these forums that could work with you for a reasonable fee.

If you are familiar with basic computer programming then you should be able to use Composer HE.  IMHO it is worth the $149, especially if you will be buying 4Sight anyhow as the marginal cost is then only $50.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.